Kahr Handgun Forum banner

New P380 1st range report

27K views 108 replies 10 participants last post by  ron54 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally made it to the range with the new P380. Not a good report........yet. I shot several older left overs first, several without any ID boxe. Not in box the buller was flat tipped. The other was American eagle. The last box was a new one called RAM.

Older:
The first 10 rounds were ok then every thing went to hell. Almost every round would get hungup. The round would be at an angle to the barrel with FMJ part in the chamber and the case out and hung up. (What do you call this?). With a rap on the back of the slide it allow the round to seat in the chamber. Not all the time though. After rapping back of slide it wasn't enough to dislodge the round and I'd remover the mag and then the round after pulling the slide back to allow round to fall out. I had one time the slide caught a casing when ejecting. Shot a total of 104 rounds(older).
I then used the RAM new ammo, box of 50. Same thing until I got thru 33 rounds. At this point (after107 total rds) I was able to finish up the remaining 17 rods with but one problem.

Oberservations:
1. fingers were getting pinched because they are too damn long. I usually shoot with trigger located midway between end of finger and first knuckle. I then tried pulling trigger with just the tip of my finger on the trigger. Not only did it feel better, although uncomfortable, but I shot more accurately, consistently.
Note: my trigger finger get pinched on the both the CM9 and the P380, worse on the 380 and on both sides of my finger.
I'm sure I will figure out how to hold the gun better to not get pinched so bad with more practice.
2. Pretty accurate little gun.
3. Won't carry for CC yet as not consistent.
4. The older shells the round end was close to a half circle. The newer RAM shells the bullet was more elliptical, tapered Ron.
5. When the 380 is broken in and a proven carry the pinching will not keep me from using it for CC as the pinch is not severe.
6. Very little in my long hand and fingers.
7. I was shooting pretty fast and used all three of the Mags than came with it, two sixes and one 7.
8. I'm joining the crowd as to how accurate it is:

The black circled areas I was using a bullet hole as a target.

Organism Red Font Art Carmine

15-17 Feet

See less See more
#84 ·
Went shooting today finally. The 380 I ran 100 thru it and no problems. I think I limp wrist'd 3 times and round was engaged but lacked about 1/2 the casing to be complete. I really think I wasn't paying attention on releasing the slide and not holding it steady with two hands.
K9 is such a sweet shooter...Shot 25 rounds and 3-4 times the slide didn't lock back on last round. What's with this action?
CW45, I like shooting this one more than any I have. It is so accurate. I think the sights are so much bigger than the others that I have no problems lining up the target. It honestly doesn't kick as bad as the K9 or at least a much better feel at recoil. The slide action is so slow you can watch it work. I'm so used to the little kahr's quickness I worry a little but it hasn't been a problem.
The word is without trying to be critical; I think if much more quality control was had, a lot of the problems would go away with customer complaints. Just a guess.
The 380 I could not be more pleased. It is also accurate for a little shooter.
I played at shooting from the waist several shoots all guns and not too bad but with practice I'm sure I could do better.

Winchester
American Eagle
reloads

#86 ·
I am very BUT did you read about the K9 slide?

#87 ·
What's the deal...........sounds like your playing musical guns...... fix one and f......up another.........I see you like shooting the 45.......they are my favourite to shoot just very comfortable being a slow round.......not cheap but fun.........makes big holes too.....

#88 ·
Any ideas what's going on with slide not locking?

#91 ·
A hundred round through a micro pistol is a lot at one time,
Yes it is.........can be hard on your hand.....and with the close tolerances in those little guns running a lot of rounds thru them in one session can gunk them up enough to start causing malfunctions. They weren't really designed to be range guns and run lots of rounds like that at a given time......as that will never happen in a sd situation.......

#93 ·
No and nobody has responded to my question. I'll have to do some checking around I guess.

#95 ·
I said something about thumbs.
I bought a m96 that wasn't locking back at the shop. It ended up being the mag spring was in backwards.

I'd empty the mag and rack the slide back and see how its locking.

You could have just been tired and lw

#99 ·
It looks fine just pulling it back. I don't know which Mag I was having the problem with but it could have been both. Is there an assemble rule for for Mag slide?

#96 ·
I will inspect them all. Thanks for the clue. I didn't pick up on it.

#101 · (Edited)
If you muck up the position of the crazy little slide lock spring it will cause premature slide lock. If you get it really badly mucked up, it may not lock at all.

Then some times the shape of the bullet will cause it to hit the slide lock (the tip that the follower pushes up) and will cause a premature slide lock. If this is the case a light touch with a file will fix it.(or different ammo)

Hope that this helps you instead of just confusing you:lolu:

#102 ·
Thank you lefty60. I do know where to look at least. The spring would be an obvious look. Problem is unless it's really mislocated or bent it might be better to just replace it. I will give a good once over.

#103 ·
Have you found the trouble yet?? If you change the spring or tighten the retaining screw, be careful not to over tighten the screw (be gentle) they can strip out easily. :sad:

#104 ·
Will do Lefty and appreciate you're advice. I've not had time today to look it over. My days are getting busier or shorter I don't which.

#106 ·
No it isn't.....It holds me together. Things just slide away if not.

#108 ·
Welllll I'm just sayin,,,,,,,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.