FTF issue with P40

FTF issue with P40

This is a discussion on FTF issue with P40 within the Kahr 40 S&W forums, part of the Kahr Pistol Forum category; Took my P40 to the range for the first time today. It was new when I bought it awhile back. Had previously racked the slide ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By Leftyis70
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By ron54
  • 1 Post By Leftyis70
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 3 Post By spentcase

Thread: FTF issue with P40

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times

FTF issue with P40

Took my P40 to the range for the first time today. It was new when I bought it awhile back. Had previously racked the slide several hundred times. On the last round of the first few mags the gun would fail to go all the way into battery. And then intermittently throughout the remainder of the session it would also do so on various rounds (ie, not always the last). I had 6 mags with me and it seemed to happen with all of them. I thought it might be because the gun was dry-ish, but when I got home and cleaned and lubed it, after locking the slide back and inserting a loaded mag it failed to fully move the first round into battery. This happened with both PMC ball ammo and Hornady Custom HPs.

Feed ramp looks nice and shiny and smooth and the recoil spring is strong enough that I struggled a bit getting the guide rod into place and seated against the front of the barrel lug.

Any suggestions?
    Leftyis70 and BillACP like this.
    sc

--
    Long time Kahr owner, newish member

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1193 times
    Check to make sure that the recoil spring assy is fully seated in its barrel lug notch. Make sure that your mags are all the correct caliber. There have been cases of the feed ramp hitting the mag; if it is dagging on the mag, it will slow the return to battery and/or break the skirt from the front of the mag follower.

Examine both the bottom of the slide and the frame where the slide runs, it is common for the frame to shed slivers of polymer until the gun has broken in (this is normal and not a defect).

Check it out and let us know what you find!

PS, Believe it or not, but, you may well need a new recoil spring!
    BillACP likes this.
    Do what you want, 'cause you will anyway

Formerly known as Lefty60

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    Hey Lefty, all is right with the gun in the areas you mentioned. What is unknown is the recoil spring. Like I said though it seems unusually strong, as compared to all my other Kahrs. Could a spring that is too strong put too much force against the cartridge while it is still angled up and cause it to bind? I don't have any other P or K variants to swap the springs with but it would easy enough to pick up a Wolff spring I guess.

Thanks!
    ron54 and Leftyis70 like this.
    sc

--

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spentcase View Post
    Hey Lefty, all is right with the gun in the areas you mentioned. What is unknown is the recoil spring. Like I said though it seems unusually strong, as compared to all my other Kahrs. Could a spring that is too strong put too much force against the cartridge while it is still angled up and cause it to bind? I don't have any other P or K variants to swap the springs with but it would easy enough to pick up a Wolff spring I guess.

Thanks!
    Well at this point then it’s worth a try........ having an extra spring is good insurance for when you need it anyways....
    spentcase likes this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spentcase View Post

Thanks!
    I would try a new recoil spring, the dang things are hell for stout and a pita to install! Well worth a try!
    ron54 likes this.
    Do what you want, 'cause you will anyway

Formerly known as Lefty60

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    Strangely, Wolff (gunsprings.com), does not list a spring for P40. Anyone know if the same spring is used in a K40?

Nevermind, looked it up on Kahr's site

K40: 005K4S
    P40: 005W4
    sc

--

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    I think I figured it out. I broke the gun down again and examined it much more closely, under better light. I noticed the head on the rear of the guiderod had a small shiny spot on it. So, we all know that one of Kahr's patents was to offset the feed ramp in order to allow the barrel to sit on a lower bore axis. I have always thought that to mean the the guiderod also needs to sit slightly to one side. But in looking more closely at it I noticed that doing so, and moving the rod just a fraction too much to one side (left side), could leave it out beyond the barrel lug on that side. I don't see where it was rubbing on the frame on that side, but after I centered the rod on the barrel lug such that it was not extending past the steel of the barrel on either side, the gun feeds a cartridge fully into battery from a slide locked position. I noticed that on this gun when I position it that way the rod is slightly angled in the slide from front to back, but is actually centered on the barrel itself. I fed it a few times and it never hesitated to return fully into battery each time. Right after cleaning and oiling yesterday it did not.
    This is not something I have taken as much notice with my other Kahrs, nor have I had to. But on this one, at least for now it would seem to be necessary. I'm thinking that with more rounds downrange this one too will not require such close, as in minute, attention to the exact positioning of the rod.
    So, to recap the guiderod was seated fully into the barrel lug, the mags were all .40 caliber, none of them were contacting the bottom of the feed ramp, and all else looked right. I'll take this one to the range again the next time we go, probably next week. I think the odds are good that it will work fine.
    BTW, my wife is a very good shot, better than I am for that matter. I can't close my left eye while leaving my right open and I shoot right handed, causing me to shoot cross body. Hickok45 has the same issue, though he's obviously learned to overcome it. And I think this is the cause of my tendency to shoot to the left. And probably I need to pay closer attention to my trigger control. In the meantime, if a bad guy ever approaches my wife and I with intent to do us harm he'd be better off watching out for her than me.
    sc

--

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    Took the P40 to the range again today. Much better results. Only had a couple of failures to go into battery in a box of 50, and they were just short of full battery. Gun is loosening up, and making sure the end of the guiderod is sitting where it should seems to have helped as did the extra lube on the rails. Next time out should tell the story.

Something else I noticed after a full box is that this is more of a handful, recoil-wise, than my MK40. I was ready to switch to the .22 pistol after 50rds, and I'm not especially recoil sensitive.

I shot my wife's M&P .380 EZ in between. What a sweet little shooter that is. She likes it a lot too. And she's a better shot than I am at this stage of my life. She enjoys shooting as much as I do. Heaven help the person that tries to do her harm if she has a chance to defend herself.
    ron54, Leftyis70 and BillACP like this.
    sc

--