My new CM40 arrives tomorrow

This is a discussion on My new CM40 arrives tomorrow within the Kahr 40 S&W forums, part of the Kahr Pistol Forum category; Greetings to all . . . Since the time I first began with sidearms, I have favored larger than smaller size pistols and revolvers to ...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Greetings to all . . .

Since the time I first began with sidearms, I have favored larger than smaller size pistols and revolvers to carry for daily protection. My accuracy is better with these because of the longer sight radius and I also felt safer loading the more powerful calibers of ammunition.

Time and diminishing physical ability has changed my needs (not so sure about likes and dislikes). Age and arthritis now prevent me from lugging the heavy sidearms on my hip. In order to continue to carry protection on my person, I have opted to buy a Kahr CM40. It is to arrive tomorrow.

My thinking is that this reputed fine weapon provides the powerful .40 S&W bullet to stop an attacker (even if placement is not as precise as intended) and is of a size to easily conceal in a front pants pocket (relieving stress on my arthritic hip).

The CM40 will not be employed as a recreational target shooter. I have long barrel revolvers and large frame pistols for this purpose.

It will not be carried as I walk the desert because I have specific guns to stop two and four-legged varmints. No, my CM40 will be used specifically for close encounters as I engage in city endeavors.

I understand I must break-in this small pistol. I do not intend to hurry the process and in the doing hope to learn “how” to properly handle this small weapon. I look forward to both and will report after future range sessions.

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

I am a proud NRA Benefactor Supporting the Second Amendment
    Last edited by aimtrue; 10-31-2013 at 09:08 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7833 times
    Howdy!!! At one time I was a big 40 fan, 45 too. I'm packing a 9 now, a k frame in the woods.
    cm9

Member #
    Liked
    23697 times
    Welcome...............good choice of of sd weapon...........and yes a proper break in helps with a satisfactory experience. And you already know that its a sd gun and not a target range gun...........gonna be a bit snappy to shoot, due to the 40 being a high pressure round. But for its intended purpose that's not gonna be an issue.........good luck and enjoy it !!!!

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4778 times
    Welcome Aimtrue! I found it exciting waiting for my CM9!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    Thomas Jefferson

CM9

Member #
    Liked
    4095 times
    Welcome aimtrue to the forum.
    AAAAAA _A_______________9_
    AAAAA ////////_______________l
    AAAAA ) _____________/-------l
    AAAAA/XXXXX/__\__/
    AAAA/XXKXX/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAbob, cm9 and lovin it.
    AAA/XXXXX/
    God help me fix the things that don't work and provide me the means to permanently DESTROY IT and provide the means of giving a reverse attaboy for those that didn't idiot proof it.

Member #
    Liked
    4778 times
    "My new CM40 arrives tomorrow "

Did you get it aimtrue?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    Thomas Jefferson

CM9

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yes John70, the CM40 arrived on schedule.

I read the manual, read it again and then once more before I fondled the pistol. After a careful inspection of the surface, I attempted to rack the slide.

This gun is TIGHT!

I racked it a number of times and then tried to lock the slide using the slide lever. It took me a number of tries before I found that the slide must be moved completely to the rear before the lever will lock the slide in place.

Pushing the lever to release the slide required great pressure. Did I mention that this pistol is TIGHT?

Putting the slide and frame in position to push the slide release lever from the pistol became troublesome for me. I must have tried ten times to line it up correctly before it was correctly aligned. Once so, the slide lever was easy to remove.

The pistol was fairly clean. Nevertheless, I thoroughly scrubbed it with my “Ed’s Red” concoction and then wiped it clean. Next, I lubricated per the lube guide using a synthetic grease and some gun oil.

Reassembling was a snap.

The earliest I can take my new CM40 to the range is next Thursday. Until then, I am going to rack the slide as much as I can, lock it in place, release the slide with the slide release lever and hope that doing so will help to make my range work easier.

I will take 200 rounds of Winchester Q4238 180gr FMJ ammo, 50 rounds of Remington L40SW2b 180gr JHP ammo, 25 rounds of Hornady 91340 165gr JHP and 25 rounds of Speer WS2-1515 155gr HP ammo. These are the same ammunitions that I run through my .40 S&W Glock and FN pistols.

I do not expect to expend all of this ammo but want it on hand to determine which the CM40 best handles. Accuracy will not be the primary objective. Breaking in and familiarizing myself with this pistol are my main objectives.

My first impression of this pistol is that it is well designed, finely crafted and comprised of good material. I will surely know better next Thursday after my first range session.

I will take photos then.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

I am a NRA Benefactor Supporting the Second Amendment

Member #
    Liked
    4778 times
    Congrats aimtrue! I am sure you will enjoy and yes Khars seem to be very tight when new. I think that is a good thing!

John
    Thomas Jefferson

CM9

Member #
    Liked
    4095 times
    Another suggestion I heard was to lock you slide back and let it sit overnight like that or for several days.
    AAAAAA _A_______________9_
    AAAAA ////////_______________l
    AAAAA ) _____________/-------l
    AAAAA/XXXXX/__\__/
    AAAA/XXKXX/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAbob, cm9 and lovin it.
    AAA/XXXXX/
    God help me fix the things that don't work and provide me the means to permanently DESTROY IT and provide the means of giving a reverse attaboy for those that didn't idiot proof it.

Member #
    Liked
    23697 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xsailer View Post
    Another suggestion I heard was to lock you slide back and let it sit overnight like that or for several days.
    Yes, I have also heard this suggested as well...........I've never done it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it !!!

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!