Aluminum Guide Rod on circa 1995 K9

This is a discussion on Aluminum Guide Rod on circa 1995 K9 within the Kahr 9MM forums, part of the Kahr Pistol Forum category; I took down my K9 yesterday for the first time in a few years (it has been a safe queen sadly) and I noticed that ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By Cotay
  • 2 Post By Cotay
  • 1 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By ron54

Thread: Aluminum Guide Rod on circa 1995 K9

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

I took down my K9 yesterday for the first time in a few years (it has been a safe queen sadly) and I noticed that my guide rod is aluminum. From what I can tell that is unusual.

The guide rod has significant wear and slight bending on the head that I hadn't previously noticed. I've gone ahead and ordered a steel guide rod assembly but I'm curious if anyone else has the aluminum rod and bending?

Aluminum Guide Rod on circa 1995 K9-dsc_0191.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    That does not look good. Or normal. I've seen quite a bit over the years but no where near everything that's out there. Still, I've never seen an aluminum guide rod (or heard of one). Are you sure it's not stainless? Regardless I wouldn't shoot that pistol again until you've replaced that rod. How does the channel on the slide, under the barrel look?
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    sc

--
    Long time Kahr owner, newish member

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spentcase View Post
    That does not look good. Or normal. I've seen quite a bit over the years but no where near everything that's out there. Still, I've never seen an aluminum guide rod (or heard of one). Are you sure it's not stainless? Regardless I wouldn't shoot that pistol again until you've replaced that rod. How does the channel on the slide, under the barrel look?
    Yup, no doubt it's aluminum. I've discovered other reports elsewhere of aluminum rods on other Kahr pistols. I'm not sure if this is OEM or was an aftermarket rod installed by the original owner.

Everything else in the gun looks fine...no unusual wear at all. It's definitely getting replaced ASAP.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    My guess would be aftermarket Cotay. Nice that you found it the easy way. If you're in the market for a stainless (non-black) guide rod, ssguiderods.com offers nice ones. Regardless a good quality replacement should not be hard to find. Don't know if an older K9 like yours has different specs so unless someone with more knowledge can provide that you might want to call Kahr to ask.
    ron54 likes this.
    sc

--

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spentcase View Post
    My guess would be aftermarket Cotay. Nice that you found it the easy way. If you're in the market for a stainless (non-black) guide rod, ssguiderods.com offers nice ones. Regardless a good quality replacement should not be hard to find. Don't know if an older K9 like yours has different specs so unless someone with more knowledge can provide that you might want to call Kahr to ask.

That's where I ordered the replacement a few days ago. I chose ssguiderods since I also wanted to get one for my wife's Shield. The Shield slide is very stiff and difficult to actuate for my wife...the ssguiderods replacement is supposed to lighten it up nicely.

Thanks for confirming that ssguiderods is GTG...I'm pretty sure the old K9s use the same rod and the newer ones, but I'll confirm once I receive it.
    Last edited by Cotay; 03-28-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    ron54 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotay View Post
    That's where I ordered the replacement a few days ago. I chose ssguiderods since I also wanted to get one for my wife's Shield. The Shield slide is very stiff and difficult to actuate for my wife...the ssguiderods replacement is supposed to lighten it up nicely.

Thanks for confirming that ssguiderods is GTG...I'm pretty sure the old K9s use the same rod and the newer ones, but I'll confirm once I receive it.
    Just to confirm, the ssguiderods replacement rod came in today and fits the older K9s just fine. Looks good to boot!
    Last edited by Cotay; 03-30-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    spentcase and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    Good deal. And I'll bet it last a whole lot longer, looking pristine than the aluminum (or aluminium as the English say), did. I can't imagine why anyone would think aluminum would be a good choice, but then I'm not a metalurgist and what I know about such things would probably fit in an empty .45 shell casing.
    Thanks for confirming that it didn't require a special or different rod.
    ron54 likes this.
    sc

--

Member #
    Liked
    23862 times
    Interesting..... I didn’t know Kahr had ever used an aluminum guide rod ?
    BillACP likes this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!