Kahr Floorplate Wars

Kahr Floorplate Wars

This is a discussion on Kahr Floorplate Wars within the Kahr 9MM forums, part of the Kahr Pistol Forum category; It's no surprise that the magazine fit is not on Kahr's short list of fixes, and that we've all had to accept it for what ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Kahr Floorplate Wars

Member #
    Liked
    64 times

Kahr Floorplate Wars

It's no surprise that the magazine fit is not on Kahr's short list of fixes, and that we've all had to accept it for what it is. Until Now!

While pondering a fix for the fugly Kahr magazine fit, I decided to look into other magazine options to see about using a different floorplate. Little did I realize that I had the answer in my collection, and within minutes came up with a very easy solution. Here's the Original that we've all come to love and hate. Way to go, Kahr... Nice fit!

So lets see if my solution makes things look any better. On the left is a Diamondback DB9 magazine, and on the right is a DB9 floorplate where the top surface has been sanded down to fit.

Here's a closeup of the floorplate. It's a perfect fit.

Now let's see it installed. WOW! That is absolutely flush fitting, and even gives you a scunge more area for a part of your pinkie finger. Awesome.

Here's another shot. I'm pretty sure the fit can't get any better than this. Of course, with a little little research and experimenting, you may find another floorplate that suits your tastes a bit better. I'm satisfied with this and had a spare magazine on hand. If you could find a similar fitting floorplate, but with a straighter pinkie extension to match the angle of the grip, that might even be better.

As you can see in this pic, I used the spring retainer and floorplate locking tab from inside the DB9. You have to, in order to have the retaining hole properly aligned. Works very well.

Of course, there's going to be a caveat, right? Right! Diamondback magazines are on constant backorder, it seems. People on the DB forum are forever whining about the lack of availability, and DB seems pretty indifferent about making these available to its customers. Way to go, DB!

The only concern about sanding down the floorplate to fit as well as the one pictured, is getting the proper angle established. You'll see what I mean if you take on this project. You too can do it, Kahr. It took me just minutes to get this corrected, and I don't have any corporate advantage or staff. Just me and a $75 bench top belt/disk sander. The magazine is a tight, but secure fit. If Kahr undertakes this type of project development they will undoubtedly allow room for manufacturing tolerances, so I'm guessing you'd still end up with part of the magazine body exposed, but perhaps it would at least be parallel to the grip. To get yours like the one pictured is a custom hand fit, but the results are very nice. This has been test with fully loaded magazines, including a round in the chamber. Either empty or filled, the appearance remains identical.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Hey, let me know what you think while I go pour some red wine in celebration!

<--- I have no idea why I selected this smiley...
    Last edited by Smokemup; 07-10-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Toney and lefty60 like this.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, and not yelling and screaming like the passenger's in his car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    144 times

Kahr Floorplate Wars

Did you try it at the range yet? Any feed problems? When shooting with an extended mag, I try to keep my fingers off the extension. I wonder if gripping the floorplate pinky rest causes problems.
    lefty60 likes this.
    "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Member #
    Liked
    23237 times
    Looks great........

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8454 times
    You should subcontract out to Kahr Arms Accessories store....

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    No range time yet. I can't imagine there will be any problems since this is a Kahr magazine that I've been using. The pinkie rest is pretty small but you can squeeze your fingers together to use it as a rest. For my normal size hands I can get half a pinkie on it, or wrap the pinkie under the baseplate as I normally would. As for magazine play, there's no more vertical play, but you can wiggle it side to side as before. The top round in the magazine rests on the stripper bar, as before, and there's enough mag spring play to allow 6 rounds. I'll be surprised if there are feed problems, but will be trying it soon.
    lefty60 likes this.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, and not yelling and screaming like the passenger's in his car.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    You should subcontract out to Kahr Arms Accessories store....
    Haha. Yeah. They have the resources and could prepare to have these plates produced in a day. Oh wait, it has to go through committee, several luncheons, the bean counters, design, production schedules, and inventory management, so we'd better give these folks a month or two to get this to market.

lefty60 and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7737 times
    I had a little trouble with my metal bottom sliding off to easy. I had crimped it down some and was testing the fit pushing on it with my thumb.

Took two days to find my lock plate...

I used a pf9 bottom set until I found mine.
    lefty60 likes this.
    cm9

Member #
    Liked
    8454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokemup View Post
    Haha. Yeah. They have the resources and could prepare to have these plates produced in a day. Oh wait, it has to go through committee, several luncheons, the bean counters, design, production schedules, and inventory management, so we'd better give these folks a month or two to get this to market.

At least for the tooling change, etc...
    lefty60 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11398 times
    Ok gents! This is all well and good. And I must say a job well done!

Now here is my two bits ($00.25) worth, now remember that you are really paying nothing for my opinion, other than time spent reading it.

For a pistol that is meant for self defense/fighting, a nice tight/close fit for the mag base plate may not be such a good idea. I'm talking: base plate snuggled up to bottom of grip.

There needs to be a little extra clearance too provide for the presence of Mr. Murphy. At the most inappropriate times he will provide help with something that will use up your close fitting tolerance, and the mag WILL NOT SEAT properly.

Do you really want to take a chance when your life is on the line Of course if you are close enough your pistol will make an OK striking tool.

And for those that believe that you will only need the mag that is in the gun I will say, feel free to research defense shootings. If you only have 5-8 rounds in your pistol there is a good chance that a reload is in order.

Some thing to think about.

"Do as you please 'cause you will anyway"
    ron54, BillACP and Toney like this.
    "Do as I say, Not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Enjoy the Day and Stay Safe"

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty60 View Post
    Ok gents! This is all well and good. And I must say a job well done!

Now here is my two bits ($00.25) worth, now remember that you are really paying nothing for my opinion, other than time spent reading it.

For a pistol that is meant for self defense/fighting, a nice tight/close fit for the mag base plate may not be such a good idea. I'm talking: base plate snuggled up to bottom of grip.

There needs to be a little extra clearance too provide for the presence of Mr. Murphy. At the most inappropriate times he will provide help with something that will use up your close fitting tolerance, and the mag WILL NOT SEAT properly.

Do you really want to take a chance when your life is on the line Of course if you are close enough your pistol will make an OK striking tool.

And for those that believe that you will only need the mag that is in the gun I will say, feel free to research defense shootings. If you only have 5-8 rounds in your pistol there is a good chance that a reload is in order.

Some thing to think about.

"Do as you please 'cause you will anyway"
    You owe me a quarter! I charge .50 to read replies, and your "bits" are .25, so there ya go! Wow, I might need to go public with this money making idea. LOL

Hey, I completely agree. I left no "tolerance" leeway, ie, there's no magazine body exposed, and no extra up/down play. But damn, this is so cool looking anyway, right?

Here's a couple more pics to help you change your mind. When I get this to the range (soon) I will be a little more confident that I didn't screw anything up. Er, unless I did. And if I did I will blame it all on Hillary's race for the Presidency. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Ohhh, ahhh....
    ron54 and lefty60 like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast