Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Kydex

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Hybrid (leather & kydex)

Votes: 4 16.7%

Preferred Holster Type ??

9K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  jpshaw 
#1 ·
Since Toney has taken up holster making, there seems to be an increased interest in the subject. I thought I would take a simple poll on the type of material that is preferred. The choices are.....Leather....Kydex or Hybrid (combination of leather & kydex).......

Reactions: lefty60
#5 ·
I like and have owned or made some really great leather holsters and gear. However my current needs are best served by kydex and/or nylon.

In times past I have done quite a lot of leather work and can say without a doubt Toney is making some very nice holsters and accessories.

#7 ·
I like leather on the belt OWB. I would like to try Kydex holster on leather though OWB. Although I've never had a problem with a gun being loose in leather I kinda like that reassuring click sound when the gun is engaged within Kydex and of course it would be slightly lighter. Remora is making one only it's a IWB version.

Reactions: lefty60 and ron54
#12 ·
Related to my CM9, primarily a round cut Robert Mika pocket holster (made with moisture resistant materials keeping the holster dry inside) combined with a Kahr leather belt slide worn at all times & a couple of Remora's.
Other is not listed.
The only Kydex / thermoplastic I'll use is in my Looper reinforced belts...

#23 ·
To me a well-made leather holster is preferable, and the right ones can be a work of art as well as a means to carry with. But depending on what I'm wearing, which is usually dependent on the time of year, leather is not always the "best" choice for me. And it also depends on what I'm carrying. Some pistols are big enough in themselves that the added bulk of a thick leather holster doesn't work out as well as other materials, especially IWB. My favorite IWB holsters these days are N82's which are technically hybrids of leather and thermoplastic. I don't do open carry but if I did it would be in nothing other than leather. And when I can carry OWB with cover garments it will almost always be leather, especially given the new to me Blackhawks that I started a thread about. So, it's too bad the poll didn't allow for more than one answer, or have answers to accomodate seasonal wear. But for the poll I had to choose leather. No holster pleases me more than a quality made leather holster, even though I'm the only one that ever sees them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.