CM9 Range Report

CM9 Range Report

This is a discussion on CM9 Range Report within the Kahr Range Reports forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; Today I fired 200+ rounds through my new CM9. 6 times the slide did not lock back after firing the last round in the mag. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: CM9 Range Report

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

CM9 Range Report

Today I fired 200+ rounds through my new CM9. 6 times the slide did not lock back after firing the last round in the mag. 4 occurred with the mag that came with the pistol and 2 occurred with a brand new mag that I purchased on line that came in the Kahr package. Both are 6 round mags and are identical. Other than that problem the gun functioned perfectly. Has anyone on this forum experienced the same problem? Thank you in advance for your comments.
    Leftyis70 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    943 times
    With a new Kahr weak ammo will cause what you describe. When new the recoil spring is hell for stout!

What brand ammo were you shooting??
    ron54 likes this.
    Do what you want, 'cause you will anyway

Formerly known as Lefty60

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Thank you for the reply. I was shooting Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ which I usually use as inexpensive range ammo with all of my pistols. After the 200 rounds of the Federal, I also shot two 6 round mags of Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain FTX hollow points that functioned correctly.
    Leftyis70 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8044 times
    Welcome to the Forum Jazzccp.
    Before I took my CM9 to the range for the first time, I lubed then racked the slide 500+ times to allow the slide mating surfaces to bed in & to work the very stiff recoil springs...fired 200 rounds of 9mm Federal Champion 124 gr FMJ & 21 rounds of 1234 gr Federal Hydra Shok with no issues with about 85% in right & left hand rapid fire mode in a 70 minute 1 mag session...also wanted to check performance with heat cycling - ran flawless.
    I still use the Federal Champion for range work but use Federal 124gr HST's for carry but there have been no reports of issues with Hornady which is very good reliable defense ammo. I suggest racking the slide some while watching you favorite TV show then run your exact same procedure at the range to reduce variables & check for issues...just to see if it needs more cycle time. If problems persist, take detailed note of the issue(s) & give Kahr Technical Services a call.
    Let us know... :~)
    Leftyis70 and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    943 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzccp View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I was shooting Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ which I usually use as inexpensive range ammo with all of my pistols. After the 200 rounds of the Federal, I also shot two 6 round mags of Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain FTX hollow points that functioned correctly.
    In general terms, it is best to break in your new Kahr 9mm with a more powerful ammo such as a NATO grade 124 gr loading! Tight fitting pistols such as Kahr often need more break-in than other brands

Let us know how it all works out for you!
    ron54 likes this.
    Do what you want, 'cause you will anyway

Formerly known as Lefty60

Member #
    Liked
    10786 times
    I agree on a little hotter ammo for breaking at least....yes these Kahrs are tight.

Some good hot ammo in 115gr-

Selleir and Bellot- 1280 fps
    MFS (kinda rare)- 1280
    Fiocchi FMJ....... -1250
    Ruag...................-1241
    Geco...................-1214
    Fiocchi CMJ -1200
    Speer......... -1200 - should be able to find this locally.

And in 124gr-

Geco........... 1180
    S&B.......... 1180
    Federal...... 1150
    Fiocchi FMJ-1150
    Win Nato-1140

Those listed on the top of each list are usually not on the shelf at the local ammo store- you have to order it online- but it is probably the best ammo you can shoot....and is usually cheaper than what you can find at Walmart, Academy, Bass Pro.
    S&B and Gecco are my favorite ammo for the range, high quality, clean, and enough power to run the slide without being in the "+P" range.

I have seen S&B in 9mm on sale recently as low as $160 per case delivered. Thats $8 per box delivered to your door. Not bad.
    BillACP, ron54 and Leftyis70 like this.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Thank you all for your comments and guidance regarding breaking in the CM9. I did rack the slide approximately 100 times before I went to the range. I’m planning on returning to the range next week and I will provide an update. Would you know which Hogue grip sleeve will fit properly on the CM9? After firing the 200+ rounds I got a little blister from the beaver tail and I’ve been considering purchasing a Hogue rubber grip sleeve. I’ve found a few but none specifically for the CM9. One is made for a Kahr P9 and S&W Shield 45 but I think that it may be too big. Another one that I’ve considered fits a Sig 365 which may be a better fit. I would appreciate any recommendations that you may have. Thanks.
    BillACP, ron54 and Leftyis70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8044 times
    Thank you all for your comments and guidance regarding breaking in the CM9. I did rack the slide approximately 100 times before I went to the range. I’m planning on returning to the range next week and I will provide an update. Would you know which Hogue grip sleeve will fit properly on the CM9? After firing the 200+ rounds I got a little blister from the beaver tail and I’ve been considering purchasing a Hogue rubber grip sleeve. I’ve found a few but none specifically for the CM9. One is made for a Kahr P9 and S&W Shield 45 but I think that it may be too big. Another one that I’ve considered fits a Sig 365 which may be a better fit. I would appreciate any recommendations that you may have. Thanks.
    Check the Kahr web site for CM9/PM9 grip options: https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/pa...hr-arms/grips/
    ron54 and Leftyis70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Thanks. I had checked the the Kahr site but they didn’t show any grips that would cover the beaver tail portion of the pistol.
    Leftyis70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8044 times
    Thanks. I had checked the the Kahr site but they didn’t show any grips that would cover the beaver tail portion of the pistol.
    May I suggest you try / apply some blister tape to protect that small area of your hand before an extended range outing if that is the primary reason for a grip...
    Leftyis70 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast