PM9 range report... - Page 3

PM9 range report...

This is a discussion on PM9 range report... within the Kahr Range Reports forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; The primary factor in handgun calibers with respect to self defense is shot placement. Self defense situations generally occur well within 7 yds & practice ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: PM9 range report...

Member #
    Liked
    9046 times
    The primary factor in handgun calibers with respect to self defense is shot placement. Self defense situations generally occur well within 7 yds & practice should be focused within that range with reliable ammo to develop sight picture, with emphasis on the front blade, & recoil management related to shot placement in rapid fire mode - single, two handed, &/or off-handed grip...all more important with short barrel firearms. Each handgun is different in feel / use which you must adjust for each time it's handled / carried to be able to achieve the desired outcome. Low / limited light / night firing is another very different worthwhile exercise to develop shot placement if a location is available. Slow fire distance practice has purpose but does little to prepare for self defense encounters if that's the goal...
    spentcase and ron54 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Washington State, 25 miles from Seattle in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    "...within 7 yds & practice should be focused within that range with reliable ammo to develop sight picture..."

That may work for you, in general, but I had a the situation where someone broke into my external garage/shop and hauled away one of my welders. The distance between my basement door to the shop door is 50 feet, thus my requirement to hit a torso sized target at fifty feet. Yeah, I know, shooting to kill over a stolen tool won't hold up in court, but if I'm face to face with a thief, I'm not going to assume he is unarmed. If my math is correct, 7 yards is 21 feet, I don't feel the need to practice hitting a target at 21 feet. Others might have to practice hitting a target at that distance but I don't.

Member #
    Liked
    9046 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
    "...within 7 yds & practice should be focused within that range with reliable ammo to develop sight picture..."

That may work for you, in general, but I had a the situation where someone broke into my external garage/shop and hauled away one of my welders. The distance between my basement door to the shop door is 50 feet, thus my requirement to hit a torso sized target at fifty feet. Yeah, I know, shooting to kill over a stolen tool won't hold up in court, but if I'm face to face with a thief, I'm not going to assume he is unarmed. If my math is correct, 7 yards is 21 feet, I don't feel the need to practice hitting a target at 21 feet. Others might have to practice hitting a target at that distance but I don't.
    7 yds is consistent with my on-view & after action street experience...a general torso shot can still get you hurt. My on-duty handgun training extended out to 50 yds with expertise with a Browning Hi-Power or Colt Gold Cup but not a practical distance for civilians in most situations. The key factor in using deadly force is "being in imminent fear of your life" then being able to prove it...not so much a stolen property issue even if permissible requirements are met under a State statute...then there's the potential upcoming civil trial...
    Last edited by BillACP; 06-28-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    ron54 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23987 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    The key factor in using deadly force is "being in imminent fear of your life" then being able to prove it...not so much a stolen property issue even if permissible requirements are met under a State statute...then there's the potential upcoming civil trial...
    Yep ...... the old expression of “where the rubber meets the road” applies...... otherwise legally and financially your toast .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BillACP likes this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3