Range time...

Range time...

This is a discussion on Range time... within the Kahr Range Reports forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; Took my lady to the range yesterday after our ccp class to break in my CW45. Put 200 rounds through it alternating back and forth ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By Luey
  • 2 Post By BillACP
  • 3 Post By Luey
  • 2 Post By lefty60
  • 2 Post By BillACP
  • 2 Post By ron54
  • 3 Post By Luey

Thread: Range time...

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Range time...

Took my lady to the range yesterday after our ccp class to break in my CW45. Put 200 rounds through it alternating back and forth between us. Only have one clip which came with it and had to reload after six rounds. Did that for a few clips a piece at a time. It was good practice for both of us and we had a blast. We spent a good 3.5 hrs there and cleared the room a few times... by that meaning we out lasted everyone that was there and a few waves of people after until they closed.
    What's the average time people spend at the range? What's the average amount of rounds do people go through with hand guns? Just curious.
    BillACP, ron54, Toney and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8955 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Luey View Post
    Took my lady to the range yesterday after our ccp class to break in my CW45. Put 200 rounds through it alternating back and forth between us. Only have one clip which came with it and had to reload after six rounds. Did that for a few clips a piece at a time. It was good practice for both of us and we had a blast. We spent a good 3.5 hrs there and cleared the room a few times... by that meaning we out lasted everyone that was there and a few waves of people after until they closed.
    What's the average time people spend at the range? What's the average amount of rounds do people go through with hand guns? Just curious.
    For me at an indoor range...about 1 - 1-1/2 hrs. Break-in time on my Kahr CM9 took about 70 minutes firing 221 9mm rounds with only 1 magazine. Most of the time used was in reloading where 80% of the rounds sent downrange were in rapid fire mode as fast as I could pull the trigger...wanted to heat it up to check tolerances / function - yep, my thumb paid the price too on the reloading without an Uplula. Outdoor ranges are different depending on what I intend to shoot. If I take my heavy barrel rifle, I could be out at the range for several hours.

It was good that you were allowed that amount of range time & had fun breaking in your new Kahr.
    ron54 and lefty60 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Yea it was. East Orange Shooting Sports here in Orlando FL. Once you pay for range time it's good all day. You can go get something to eat and come back to pick up where you left off.
    And yes my thumbs were hurting from reloading.
    lefty60, BillACP and ron54 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Luey View Post
    I preload my mags (got lots of them), and limit myself to 50 rounds, switching from strong to weak hand. I only take one pistol at a time to shoot at the range unless, I include a .22 pistol.

Shooting more than 50 rounds (in my present condition) at a time is counter productive to correct form and trigger press. Trigger time dry firing at home, NO AMMO AROUND, can and should be more productive than firing live ammo because you can see when you mess up the trigger press.

Dummy rounds and dry fire is an important part of becoming a good shooter and, maintaining your skill set!

When I was in better physical condition firing 200-500 pistol rounds a day (matches or training) was doable but, it can cost a lot of money when you shoot frequently.
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    "Do as I say, Not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Enjoy the Day and Stay Safe"

Member #
    Liked
    8955 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty60 View Post
    I preload my mags (got lots of them), and limit myself to 50 rounds, switching from strong to weak hand. I only take one pistol at a time to shoot at the range unless, I include a .22 pistol.

Shooting more than 50 rounds (in my present condition) at a time is counter productive to correct form and trigger press. Trigger time dry firing at home, NO AMMO AROUND, can and should be more productive than firing live ammo because you can see when you mess up the trigger press.

Dummy rounds and dry fire is an important part of becoming a good shooter and, maintaining your skill set!

When I was in better physical condition firing 200-500 pistol rounds a day (matches or training) was doable but, it can cost a lot of money when you shoot frequently.
    Absolutely on the dry fire trigger time with your primary & secondary firearms so when you pick one of them up you instinctively know how to operate & shoot it effectively without thinking....as soon as my hand touches its grips. When I'm at the indoor pistol range I sometimes take 2 or 3 firearms depending on time constraints & run a few sighters / operational checks before jumping right into rapid fire mode out to 24 ft incorporating both right & left handed / 2 & one-handed holds.

I do miss the low cost barrel diet & not hearing about ammo expenditures ringing in my ears.
    ron54 and lefty60 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    23862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    I do miss the low cost barrel diet & not hearing about ammo expenditures ringing in my ears.
    Yeah.............Like, why were you gone so long ?
    What were you doing out there that long ?
    How much did you spend ?
    Blah...blah...blah
    Blah....blah....!!!!
    lefty60 and BillACP like this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Thanks guys. This place doesn't allow rapid fire... 1 round per second max. I 2 handed only and I didn't even think of switching hands. I'll work on that next time. I was mainly working on stance and aim. Dominant eye vs non dom. As well as testing ammo.
    lefty60, BillACP and ron54 like this.