Kahr CW 380 troubles

Kahr CW 380 troubles

This is a discussion on Kahr CW 380 troubles within the Kahr Talk forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; Hello, my name is Bill and new to the Kahr forum. I'm posting due to I'm a little disappointed in Kahr. Purchased a Kahr CW ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill216
  • 3 Post By ron54
  • 1 Post By
  • 1 Post By ron54
  • 2 Post By KahrP380guy
  • 2 Post By spentcase

Thread: Kahr CW 380 troubles

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Kahr CW 380 troubles

Hello, my name is Bill and new to the Kahr forum. I'm posting due to I'm a little disappointed in Kahr. Purchased a Kahr CW 380 a few years back. Maybe put 100 rounds through it and having nothing but issues with it. Rounds wont eject manually, a lot of stove piping that need to be manually cleared. So I call Kahr and I'm told, there's only a year warranty on the weapon which I found a little odd due to just about all of the big boy firearms manufactures, have pretty much, life time warranties on their firearms.
    So my question is, does anyone have the CW 380 and experiencing the same issues?
    Leftyis70 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23987 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill216 View Post
    Hello, my name is Bill and new to the Kahr forum. I'm posting due to I'm a little disappointed in Kahr. Purchased a Kahr CW 380 a few years back. Maybe put 100 rounds through it and having nothing but issues with it. Rounds wont eject manually, a lot of stove piping that need to be manually cleared. So I call Kahr and I'm told, there's only a year warranty on the weapon which I found a little odd due to just about all of the big boy firearms manufactures, have pretty much, life time warranties on their firearms.
    So my question is, does anyone have the CW 380 and experiencing the same issues?
    Welcome bill...... have you tried breaking in the gun by racking the slide a couple hundred times and lubing it well....... also what kind of ammo are you using as that size weapon can be ammo fussy...... Winchester white box is not a go with it....... use Remington or Federal etc......
    BillACP, Toney and Leftyis70 like this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Bill, I’ve just joined the forum. Your cw380 troubles caught my eye. Bought mine Jan. of ‘18, mine was very finicky with different shaped Ammo too. But after try several brands and bullet shapes, my troubles were feeding and some stovepipes, it seemed to loosen up some. Today it runs everything 100%. Stay with it and you should get past your troubles. I love mine and pocket carry it in uncle Mike’s pocket holster loaded with Underwood xtreme defender +P. Stros17 In south Louisiana
    ron54 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23987 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton View Post
    What's the result on this?

I have had three Kahrs, an E9 from back in 2000 (later sold) and I currently have a P9 Covert (factory) and CW 45. The only of the three to have ammo issues was the E9 but I found 124 grain +P Corbon ran it very well.

Now I used to carry a Colt Pony Pocketlite for backup and CCW and it was very finicky. I recall it stovepiping fairly often with Winchester target loads....once during a "belly gun Hogan's Alley" match. It wasn't the best handgun and I eventually sold it.

My Covert was great out of the box and loves Sellier and Bellot 124 grain but won't feed the first round from the mag via hand cycle. I have to hit the rear of the slide for it to go into battery. It's dead on accurate though and feeds under recoil just fine.

I have shot Federal 115 grain +P+ in it without any issue and it needed no "break-in period."

My CW 45 was shot extensively by the previous owner who bought it new. It's a fabulous handgun and shoots pretty well with a Wilson Combat 8 round mag. I just seem to flinch some with it in my "later years."
    Yep...... sometimes you just need to find the ammo it likes and stick with it .....
    BillACP likes this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Hi Bill,
    My CW380 had problems with failures to feed, fail to eject, & slide locking back before mag was empty. After 250 rounds (5 different types & brands of ammo) I sent it back to Kahr. They changed magazine springs, recoil springs, & polished the extractor. When I got it back it still had the slide lock problem. Kahr sent me a new spring & that took care of that. It cycled better but not reliably enough to trust carrying. Bought some Underwood ammo and chambered one round. Slide & barrel stopped 3/8" short of full forward. I had to use a lot of force to rack the slide back & eject the round. I stripped it down & dropped the round in the chamber & it wouldn't seat properly. It worked well in my P380, Rugers, Beretta 84F, PPKS, & Colt.
    After 450 rounds, it's ammo fussy but I got it to work with the ammo I first used. Still can't trust it & put it up for consignment sale. I really wanted to like this gun.
    Hope you have better luck with yours.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Bill,
    Some thoughts and a confession.
    Thoughts. Kahr will tell you that there's a 250 round break-in period. Why? IDK. Many worthy competitors are reliable right out of the box.
    Confession. I went through the same thing with my P380. Even after the break-in, it was still not cycling reliably. I sent it back. They did a few minor things and told me it was just fine. I was still having problems. Then I discovered the problem. It was USER ERROR. The pistol is so light that you really have to hold it tightly to make it cycle correctly. I always thought that a tight grip hurt marksmanship b/c it allowed your pulse to affect your aim. Not so with lightweight pistols. You need a firm grip.
    spentcase and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1086 times
    Yep, it's called limp wristing, and it can happen to anybody

There are several good threads here on breaking in a Kahr before your first trip. Essentially because Kahrs are built to such tight tolerances, and the short travel of the slide it takes some cycling of it to seat things in properly, as well as to remove any microscopic burrs on the mating surfaces. Cycling it by hand a few hundred times, and then letting the slide stay locked back for a day or two, and also letting your mags sit for the same amount of time fully loaded should normally result in success at the range when the weapon is otherwise new.
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    sc

--
    Long time Kahr owner, newish member