Anti-Kahr bias

Anti-Kahr bias

This is a discussion on Anti-Kahr bias within the Kahr Talk forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; I’ve been a Kahr fan for 20 years. First firearm I ever purchased..( bow hunter and reluctant city dweller.) A 90s P9 with tritium sites. ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Iconoblast
  • 3 Post By BillACP
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 2 Post By ron54
  • 2 Post By Iconoblast
  • 2 Post By BillACP
  • 2 Post By Iconoblast
  • 1 Post By ron54
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By Jazzccp

Thread: Anti-Kahr bias

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Anti-Kahr bias

I’ve been a Kahr fan for 20 years. First firearm I ever purchased..( bow hunter and reluctant city dweller.)
    A 90s P9 with tritium sites. A thing of beauty. It worked and felt good. Advanced engineering didn’t hurt either.

My local range owner was quick to dismiss last week. I laid out the fact Kahr was a step or two ahead of Glock back in the 90s. He was dismissive. Said they don’t sell. Lowballed me on trade for a PM9. I was interested in a CW 380. No explanation, just Glock Glock bok bok
    like LA 25 yrs ago. Classy..

In my opinion anyone who built a relationship with their Glock during police or military service is due respect. However, if it is an above average weapon, why is there such a massive market for upgrades? And why did sig win the latest contract? The only Glock I currently own is a 26, heavily modified.

Nonetheless, with small hands, I think I’m going to get a Glock 42… Everything is a compromise.
    ron54 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8955 times
    I've got short fingers & the trigger reach on my CM9 is perfect even though it's a DAO. I would have carried a Kahr as backup &/or off-duty if they had been available back then...love that smooth trigger.
    ron54, spentcase and ShinerJohn like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    OP if you do get a G42 and especially if it is used you might want to be careful, they had significant growing pains when they first came out. Most of that was in the magazines so if they're not marked as gen 2 or later you may run into problems.
    Just out of curiosity, why a 42 and not a 43? I have no dog in the fight but since you loved your P9 from the start, why go back to .380? I'm not a caliber snob by any account, we have .380s in the house ourselves. As I mentioned, just curious. Oh, and Welcome to the forum!
    ron54 and BillACP like this.
    sc

--
    Long time Kahr owner, newish member

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23862 times
    Welcome..... Kahr’s do require a bit of prep and a break in that a typical glock does not..... as some others do not as well..... for a lot of folks they are either unwilling to put in the time and investment or not aware of this .....so when they make their first range trip and there are issues they pronounce the gun a piece of junk..... take it at face value. ?
    spentcase and BillACP like this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    You are probably right Ron54. I’m kind of lazy about that stuff, don’t keep track of my rounds for break in. Hate the cleaning fumes. Don’t want to learn just how bad a job the factory did with metal shavings inside ..
    A high school friend who is now an FBI agent mentionEd a “hardy” 10,000 round glock , never cleaned. They simply go bang when you press the trigger . Every time. With any ammo. Maybe? I’m not sure why he Needed To rely on a dirty gun, driving around Detroit in a sedan, drinking Americanos. Maybe he could fall into a dumpster or something?

I live in Eau Claire Wisconsin. The local instructor is passionate and well respected. I hoped for a little more flexibility and open mindedness. Not to mention interest in non Glock technologies. At least he doesn’t waffle, which is what a lot of new students need— clear advice for a foundation.

Spentcase, I got interested in 380s after reading a lot of reviews online. I’m a thin person and realized I was tired of of 9 mm snap. Then my wife asked me to get her something “manageable” after there was a shooting down the road from our house.

One of my coworkers bought a 22 in a full-size frame so she can throw all day, on the cheap. However, I think you play like you practice, so it’s going to be 380 or 9 mm. With a hopefully quicker follow up round.

A subcompact or pocket pistol that is super light but still has a “confident” grip would be great . Come to think of it, the CT 380 tungsten would be cool
    ShinerJohn and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8955 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoblast View Post
    You are probably right Ron54. I’m kind of lazy about that stuff, don’t keep track of my rounds for break in. Hate the cleaning fumes. Don’t want to learn just how bad a job the factory did with metal shavings inside ..
    A high school friend who is now an FBI agent mentionEd a “hardy” 10,000 round glock , never cleaned. They simply go bang when you press the trigger . Every time. With any ammo. Maybe? I’m not sure why he Needed To rely on a dirty gun, driving around Detroit in a sedan, drinking Americanos. Maybe he could fall into a dumpster or something?

I live in Eau Claire Wisconsin. The local instructor is passionate and well respected. I hoped for a little more flexibility and open mindedness. Not to mention interest in non Glock technologies. At least he doesn’t waffle, which is what a lot of new students need— clear advice for a foundation.

Spentcase, I got interested in 380s after reading a lot of reviews online. I’m a thin person and realized I was tired of of 9 mm snap. Then my wife asked me to get her something “manageable” after there was a shooting down the road from our house.

One of my coworkers bought a 22 in a full-size frame so she can throw all day, on the cheap. However, I think you play like you practice, so it’s going to be 380 or 9 mm. With a hopefully quicker follow up round.

A subcompact or pocket pistol that is super light but still has a “confident” grip would be great . Come to think of it, the CT 380 tungsten would be cool
    Some quick thoughts:
    Regarding the CT380, make sure your wife can actuate the slide & slide release without issue if it's for her. If your concern is to have an easy to use at home manageable weapon for self defense, a .410 shotgun would be a good choice.

In a small compact / pocket pistol, Kahr's CM9 / PM9 series have one of the least amount of recoil I've experienced for its size making it much easier for picking up the front blade only for target acquisition for follow-up shots / in rapid fire mode with either hand accurately...some small frame .380's have a lot more "snap". Proper grip is essential & adding tape or something like a Talon grip may provide some additional comfort & grip control if needed...
    spentcase and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Thank you. Thank you very much. Will consider. I have read about the kahr low offset barrel and trigger mechanism. I bet that helps.

The talon grip would be 20 bucks well spent.
    ron54 and BillACP like this.

Member #
    Liked
    23862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    Some quick thoughts:
    Regarding the CT380, make sure your wife can actuate the slide & slide release without issue if it's for her. If your concern is to have an easy to use at home manageable weapon for self defense, a .410 shotgun would be a good choice.

In a small compact / pocket pistol, Kahr's CM9 / PM9 series have one of the least amount of recoil I've experienced for its size making it much easier for picking up the front blade only for target acquisition for follow-up shots / in rapid fire mode with either hand accurately...some small frame .380's have a lot more "snap". Proper grip is essential & adding tape or something like a Talon grip may provide some additional comfort & grip control if needed...
    Absolutely orrect....... as a side note....... as the weapon gets smaller typically the slide spring gets stronger to compensate for lack of size, mass and weight of the reduced size of the slide so that it will recycle properly and reliably.......
    spentcase likes this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    There's a product called Arachnigrips that helps quite a bit on the Kahrs when it comes to racking the slide. Expensive but $20 buys 2 sets, enough for two guns. Not very friendly to holsters or clothing but that can be mitigated somewhat too. Stays on better than skateboard tape.

https://www.arachnigrip.com/
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    sc

--
    Long time Kahr owner, newish member

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I use a CM9 for edc. It did require some break in time; however it is a very reliable, high quality, inexpensive pocket pistol with not much recoil and never failed to feed or fire with any ammo that I’ve tried. I added a Hogue Beavertail grip made for a Sig 365 that fits perfectly.
    ron54 likes this.