older CM9 light strikes--please help

This is a discussion on older CM9 light strikes--please help within the Kahr Technical forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; Good evening. I just joined the forum hoping to get some info or advice on an older CM9 that I have. I bought the gun ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By John A.
  • 2 Post By topgun1953
  • 2 Post By Leftyis70

Thread: older CM9 light strikes--please help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Good evening. I just joined the forum hoping to get some info or advice on an older CM9 that I have.

I bought the gun 2nd hand and I know why I got it so cheap now. It has a lot of light primer strikes.

Here's some background on the gun.

It hasn't been used that much. There's not a lot of wear on it. I am not going to be snarky and mention that it's hard to get wear when it doesn't shoot but to make a long story short, I have replaced the striker spring, which did help a lot, but still hasn't fully resolved it.

Now it will go through 2 or 3 mags before having a light strike, so it is an improvement. Before changing the spring, I couldn't get through a single mag without having a light strike.

The gun has been oiled. It's locking up well in battery. I have tried several different brands of ammo including my own reloads and it still does it occasionally.

I really want to be able to trust the gun and be able to fix it for my primary CCW, but of course, it has to be 100% reliable in order for that to happen.

So, I wanted to ask if there is anything that you guys know to check that I haven't already before I sell it and move onto something else. And to be honest, I would really like to keep and use this gun because it is everything that I was looking for other than small limited magazine capacity.
    Leftyis70 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Welcome! Have you tried a variety of ammo? The next thing to replace would be the recoil springs. When dry firing see if you notice the slide moving rearward a slight amount when you are pulling the trigger. This has happened to me on a p380 when I had a strong striker spring and weak recoil springs. This actually pulls it out of battery. I’m assuming you inspected the striker channel when you replaced the spring. It should be free of oil and debris. Finally, I’d bet Kahr would send you a return label if you just told them you have a cm9 with light strikes.
    BillACP and Leftyis70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Good evening. I just joined the forum hoping to get some info or advice on an older CM9 that I have.

I bought the gun 2nd hand and I know why I got it so cheap now. It has a lot of light primer strikes.

Here's some background on the gun.

It hasn't been used that much. There's not a lot of wear on it. I am not going to be snarky and mention that it's hard to get wear when it doesn't shoot but to make a long story short, I have replaced the striker spring, which did help a lot, but still hasn't fully resolved it.

Now it will go through 2 or 3 mags before having a light strike, so it is an improvement. Before changing the spring, I couldn't get through a single mag without having a light strike.

The gun has been oiled. It's locking up well in battery. I have tried several different brands of ammo including my own reloads and it still does it occasionally.

I really want to be able to trust the gun and be able to fix it for my primary CCW, but of course, it has to be 100% reliable in order for that to happen.

So, I wanted to ask if there is anything that you guys know to check that I haven't already before I sell it and move onto something else. And to be honest, I would really like to keep and use this gun because it is everything that I was looking for other than small limited magazine capacity.
    Very important, no lube in the firing pin channel! There is a hole in the underside of the slide that goes directly into the firing pin channel. You can clean the channel by spraying NON CHLORINE brake cleaner into that hole until it comes out clean. Some brands of ammo are very dirty burning and will help build up crud in the firing pin channel! And, yes, replacing the recoil spring is always a good first when servicing a new to you Kahr pistol.

Please let us know if this has helped you! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!
    BillACP and rotorhead1026 like this.
    Do what you want, 'cause you will anyway

Formerly known as Lefty60