Another P380 enhancer - 800 grit wet/dry on the frame upper

This is a discussion on Another P380 enhancer - 800 grit wet/dry on the frame upper within the Kahr Technical forums, part of the Kahr Discussions category; Although my P380 worked perfectly (and continues to do so) right from the start, racking the slide has been a little rough, a slightly gritty ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Another P380 enhancer - 800 grit wet/dry on the frame upper

Kraigster414

Although my P380 worked perfectly (and continues to do so) right from the start, racking the slide has been a little rough, a slightly gritty feel is the best way I can describe it. A very easy and safe fix, is take a piece of 800 grit wet/dry paper and go back and forth on the rails and on the top of the frame. You don't need (or should) to apply a lot of pressure, just enough until the surface areas feel smooth to the touch. You will be surprised at how much smoother and "cleaner" your slide racks back and forth. 'Strictly optional but along with polishing the barrel feedramp and throat, it's not a bad idea. Your gun will go bang regardless but the slide and frame will mesh smoother and have a "cleaner' feel if you do the lightest of polishing. Enjoy.
    Schuvwj likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Re: Another P380 enhancer - 800 grit wet/dry on the frame upper

yup it sure will be smoother. More rounds down range will do the same but once again, why not do it in house sitting there watching a ball game instead of putting rounds downrange just to make it smoother.

I think my P380 is getting alittle better about racking the slide, course it could just be me getting a better hang of doing it right to. this is a tricky little gun to rack the slide due to strong recoil springs. I am actually glad that kahr put such heavy springs in the gun, hopefully this will require less recoil spring changing to.

My kahr today took a trip to my gunsmith friend who did the stippling on my PM9. I am getting the grip stippled like my PM9, nothing else being done to it, as I love the stainless finish now even more. was contemplating getting the slide refinished in finish to match my PM9 that he did for me but this little gun is really nice looking. I am also haveing my smitty put two small mag well cut outs in the grip. personally more for looks than practicality.They will be proportional to the size of the gun, Damn I just love this little gun.......

"SMOKE UM IF U GOT UM"

Kraigster414

Re: Another P380 enhancer - 800 grit wet/dry on the frame upper

Wow! We demand photos Jocko!!

A little polishing of the frame as described above makes even more sense in light of the relatively stiff spring. Smoother at least is better. And after 600 rounds, racking back and forth still felt a little gritty. So tonight, inspired by Jocko, I pulled out the 800 grit wet/dry paper and went to work - it really is not work. Do it with the TV on. Unfortunately, right in the middle of things, Oprah came on the tube promoting this or that, I rushed to put my gun back togheter so I could shoot the TV and put myself out of my misery but it was too late. Back to work I went. A 10-minute job at best.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have over 18,700 rounds through my PM9 and I have never taken that strker assemble apart. I have taken the back plate off the slide to install the 5# wolffs striker spring but that is as far as I have went, as I have no reason to fix what is not broken...
    lefty60 likes this.
    Decrease your 646-206 real questions using our latest JUNIPER quality testking and University of California, Berkeley We provide wikipedia guarantee along with Middlebury College

Member #
    Liked
    23849 times
    Welcome. .......

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    4095 times
    Hello Babaladla. Welcome 18,700! Rounds. Wow....I like hearing that.
    AAAAAA _A_______________9_
    AAAAA ////////_______________l
    AAAAA ) _____________/-------l
    AAAAA/XXXXX/__\__/
    AAAA/XXKXX/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAbob, cm9 and lovin it.
    AAA/XXXXX/
    God help me fix the things that don't work and provide me the means to permanently DESTROY IT and provide the means of giving a reverse attaboy for those that didn't idiot proof it.

Member #
    Liked
    23849 times
    I guess that answers a previous post a few days ago about kahrs durability. ...

Member #
    Liked
    23849 times
    I had read somewhere on another forum that they were posting about kahrs durability. And many had no issues regarding that, then there were a few that compared them to Keltec and Taurus..........In my opinion a Kahr is a superior weapon...........in quality and durability !!
    lefty60 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Has anyone ever modified (shortened, etc) the recoil springs to lessen the required side racking force with any success?

Member #
    Liked
    11399 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Small pistols are very sensitive to recoil springs, it does not take much of a change to cause malfunctions.

If someone is having trouble racking the slide there are different techniques that will make it easier. By the time the pistol has gone through the recommended 200 round break in it will be a little easier to rack the slide.

If you do a thread search here you will find some good information about how to make slide racking easier for folks with weaker hands/arms.

Sometimes Wolf Gunsprings will have reduced power spring sets available for many different gun models, and I believe they are the OEM manufacturer for Kahr.
    Toney, BillACP and ron54 like this.
    "Do as I say, Not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Enjoy the Day and Stay Safe"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast