My new AR 15.......... - Page 2

My new AR 15..........

This is a discussion on My new AR 15.......... within the Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Originally Posted by lefty60 Over the years I came to prefer a 6x for a hunting rifle. For the AR I'm thinking that I would ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: My new AR 15..........

Member #
    Liked
    8732 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty60 View Post
    Over the years I came to prefer a 6x for a hunting rifle. For the AR I'm thinking that I would prefer a 1x-6x, but, might be able to make do with a 2x-7x. It will come down to how good the glass is v price. I would like to keep the cost to $300 +/-, sure don't want to spend more on glass than I spent on the rifle!
    Yeah, better glass coatings with improved light gathering / brightness makes a significant difference with the right objective with respect to value. Either choice would be a good one depending on what you might need related to the field of view, target, body movement magnification, etc....maybe split the difference with a 1 x 6.5. With older scopes, I don't like to make adjustments to power settings that may add an additional variable to any zero change once set on my hvy barrel...I'm just into exact shot placement. I loosen up a little with other more mobile equipment.
    lefty60 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7821 times
    I'm usually on the lowest setting, 5 is about as high as I go, its the same as my range finder.

Using the cheaper scopes you get alot less glare and a lot more light through on lower settings. Also got a much bigger fov.

I have missed opportunities for deer in lowlight because I forgot to turn my scope down...

I've made several 300yd + shots on 3x.
    BillACP and lefty60 like this.
    cm9

Member #
    Liked
    7821 times
    I guess a high power scope is alright for targets but when I'm hunting I still get excited enough I forget the dope...

And when I don't I'm through hunting
    BillACP, lefty60 and ron54 like this.
    cm9

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    Yeah, better glass coatings with improved light gathering / brightness makes a significant difference with the right objective with respect to value. Either choice would be a good one depending on what you might need related to the field of view, target, body movement magnification, etc....maybe split the difference with a 1 x 6.5. With older scopes, I don't like to make adjustments to power settings that may add an additional variable to any zero change once set on my hvy barrel...I'm just into exact shot placement. I loosen up a little with other more mobile equipment.
    My eyes aren't as good as when I was younger, but, for shots under 100yds I don't want to lose the field of veiw that lower powers give. The glass has improved a bunch over the years so the quality has gone way up compaired to costs. My goal is, for a rifle, the first 3 shots to be touching at 100yds. Good glass and modern barrels make that fairly easy, most of the time!
    BillACP, Toney and ron54 like this.
    "Do as I say, Not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Enjoy the Day and Stay Safe"

Member #
    Liked
    11399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toney View Post
    I guess a high power scope is alright for targets but when I'm hunting I still get excited enough I forget the dope...

And when I don't I'm through hunting
    I always carry the gun with the scope power turned all the way down, then, adjust as needed. A quick shot is easy to make on low power. The higher powers are for more deliberate shots, power adjusted as needed.
    Toney, ron54 and BillACP like this.
    "You can't fix stupid"

Member #
    Liked
    11419 times
    Well I finally made it to the range with the AR.......
    Got a good workout today figuring just how dumb I am. I must be losing some of my mental sharpness?

Okay took 2- 20 round boxes of ammo and set up at 25 yards. Started shooting 3 round groups.
    I realised immediately I could not see the reticles very well in the sun...also could not see the arrow in the windage /elevation dials. Got help with that.
    Got close at 25 yds then moved out to 50. Then got my left/right and up/down confused.....went all over the place- Then I ran out of ammo.

Got a box from the range and started over at 25 yards, but this time a single shot then adj left/right- til I got it right. THen single shot and adj up and down.
    Got it dead on at 50 yards - 2", then fired my last 2 rounds at 100 yards- good enough for me!
    Maybe I'll get my son to tune it up a little closer.....but this is good enough for zombies.

Edit: On the 50 yard target, my group was inside the red- which is 2 inches.
    We just don't realize how much we move when shooting....but a paper target will tell you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new AR 15..........-20160727_122825.jpg  
    ron54, lefty60, BillACP and 1 others like this.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Member #
    Liked
    11399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgy Baby View Post
    Well I finally made it to the range with the AR.......
    Got a good workout today figuring just how dumb I am. I must be losing some of my mental sharpness?

Okay took 2- 20 round boxes of ammo and set up at 25 yards. Started shooting 3 round groups.
    I realised immediately I could not see the reticles very well in the sun...also could not see the arrow in the windage /elevation dials. Got help with that.
    Got close at 25 yds then moved out to 50. Then got my left/right and up/down confused.....went all over the place- Then I ran out of ammo.

Got a box from the range and started over at 25 yards, but this time a single shot then adj left/right- til I got it right. THen single shot and adj up and down.
    Got it dead on at 50 yards - 2", then fired my last 2 rounds at 100 yards- good enough for me!
    Maybe I'll get my son to tune it up a little closer.....but this is good enough for zombies.

Edit: On the 50 yard target, my group was inside the red- which is 2 inches.
    We just don't realize how much we move when shooting....but a paper target will tell you.
    What ammo and optic
    "You can't fix stupid"

Member #
    Liked
    11419 times
    American Eagle 55 gr 223 fmj, and Lucid H7 Gen 3 Red Dot. No power magnification.
    I put 60 rounds through it today.... finally got it close enough to use if necessary.
    I did not expect to shoot long range when I got it. But , I may explore a different optic for the next gun.
    This sight was about $210 with tax.

I'll get it a little better next time. What really threw me off was getting the windage and elevation mixed up- more than once-and not being able to see the proper reticle at distance. This sight has 4 reticles, big circle (what I used most), tiny dot, horizontal cross-hair with dots, and funny looking vertical line with a roof on top.
    I'll get there...I was just surprised at how much trouble I had. The gun works fine.
    lefty60 and ron54 like this.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Member #
    Liked
    8732 times
    American Eagle 55 gr 223 fmj, and Lucid H7 Gen 3 Red Dot. No power magnification.
    I put 60 rounds through it today.... finally got it close enough to use if necessary.
    I did not expect to shoot long range when I got it. But , I may explore a different optic for the next gun.

I'll get it a little better next time. What really threw me off was getting the windage and elevation mixed up- more than once-and not being able to see the proper reticle at distance. This sight has 4 reticles, big circle (what I used most), tiny dot, horizontal cross-hair with dots, and funny looking vertical line with a roof on top.
    I'll get there...I was just surprised at how much trouble I had. The gun works fine.
    Being not quite where you want it is a great incentive to go back out & dial it in...it's only time & ammo... ...easy does it on the turns wuth those 1/2 MOA adjustments.
    lefty60, Higgy Baby and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11399 times

A 55gr can be sighted dead on at 36 yards and should be good for a head size target up to (IIRC) 200yds. You can check ballistics charts to confirm, if you know the velocity.
    Higgy Baby and ron54 like this.
    "You can't fix stupid"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast