Old Kahr owner with dilemma

This is a discussion on Old Kahr owner with dilemma within the New Member Introduction forums, part of the Kahr Forum category; Hi All, I'm a longtime Kahr K9 owner originally from Northern California and recently relocated to North Idaho. I purchased my K9 (1995 manufacture) used ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Cotay
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 2 Post By BillACP
  • 1 Post By rotorhead1026
  • 1 Post By Cotay
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 1 Post By Cotay
  • 2 Post By spentcase
  • 2 Post By ron54

Thread: Old Kahr owner with dilemma

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Hi All,

I'm a longtime Kahr K9 owner originally from Northern California and recently relocated to North Idaho. I purchased my K9 (1995 manufacture) used in June 2002 for $400 after wanting one for several years. I've always viewed this weapon as a fine piece of jewelry and have tried to keep it as nice as the day I purchased it. I've rarely holstered it and it was only fired a few times since I have always been more of a Trap/Skeet shooter.

Now that I've relocated to a free state, I am considering the Kahr as a CCW. I am also sorely tempted by a new Sig P365 for the weigh savings. I also would like to purchase a full size CZ P-09 or P-10F just because it has 21 rounds for range fun and maybe a little competition shooting. The wife has said I can get one or the other...P365 or P10F.

So how is the K9 for daily carry?

Thanks and glad to be here!

Old Kahr owner with dilemma-dsc_0181.jpg
    rotorhead1026 and ron54 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    If you're going to carry owb on your belt there are better choices, ie those with more firepower. If you're going for iwb, then the Kahr is a good choice though again there will be others, such as the P365 that will offer more firepower. But not being a fan of striker fired guns like the P365 I'd go with the Kahr any day because of the great trigger.
    Carrying is a very subjective proposition because of climate, dress style, willingness to dress around your choice, personal firearm favorites, and several other factors. That being said both the Kahr and the P365 gen2 would make good choices, for the right person. If you're drawn to either or both then you'll be on the right track to start with either. Or both.

BTW, nice gun. And welcome to the forum!
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    sc

--
    Long time Kahr owner, newish member

Member #
    Liked
    8826 times
    In addition to the good points spentcase made, you indicated some value / tie to your K9 which, should you have to use it in defense, may not come back to you in the same condition as it left you during any investigations or proceedings. If you like the DAO trigger on the K9, you might consider the CM9 with the same smooth trigger, smaller profile with weight savings over the Sig while only giving up a few rounds which you normally won't need - plus maybe save a few dollars...just a thought...
    spentcase and ron54 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Welcome, Cotay. I just rented a 365 and compared it with my PM9; shot one right after the other. There was no significant difference in shootability. The extra capacity of the P365 is nice, but not enough to dump the Kahr. I’d work with what you already have.
    ron54 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks all for the welcome and advice. My wife has now suggested that I get both a new CCW and a full size range toy. I think she's tired of me spending so much time researching this. :-)

I love my K9 and want to keep it nice. I have the ability to rust any firearm in a matter of minutes so I'm hesitant to use the Kahr for prolonged carry.

On a side note, I just noticed that my guide rod is aluminum, which is wearing and bending in a way that concerns me. I'll post a separate post with a picture.

Thanks again!
    ron54 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    Since you said your wife wants you to get "a" new carry gun and "a" range toy, it seems to indicate only two new guns total. If so I would continue your research as there are a LOT of guns out there and if I could only choose two I would have trouble deciding which they would be. Even after decades at it I'd be hard pressed to tell you which I've liked best, shot best, and carried most comfortably (and confidently). Kahrs are fine handguns, but there are many others that are just as dependable, nice, and worthwhile to own and carry. In my life I've gone from SA hammer-fired to Kahr's SAO striker-fired*, to DA/SA, to SA striker-fired, back to DA/SA, and now I've come full circle to SA hammer-fired aka 1911 manual of operation. I still own others, with the exception of the SA striker-fired guns that I've traded off but I don't think I'll go back to carrying anything other than 1911-ish guns (except the Kahrs infrequently). All this to say, take your time and remember if you're serious about carrying (on a regular basis), that depending on dress and weather you may need more than one carry piece if you are to always leave home with one. If only two you may want to make your "range toy" something that you can also carry comfortably on the occasions that weather and dress allow. Have fun and be safe!

*edit: meant to say Kahr's DAO striker fired above
    Last edited by spentcase; 03-28-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    sc

--

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spentcase View Post
    Since you said your wife wants you to get "a" new carry gun and "a" range toy, it seems to indicate only two new guns total. If so I would continue your research as there are a LOT of guns out there and if I could only choose two I would have trouble deciding which they would be. Even after decades at it I'd be hard pressed to tell you which I've liked best, shot best, and carried most comfortably (and confidently). Kahrs are fine handguns, but there are many others that are just as dependable, nice, and worthwhile to own and carry. In my life I've gone from SA hammer-fired to Kahr's SAO striker-fired*, to DA/SA, to SA striker-fired, back to DA/SA, and now I've come full circle to SA hammer-fired aka 1911 manual of operation. I still own others, with the exception of the SA striker-fired guns that I've traded off but I don't think I'll go back to carrying anything other than 1911-ish guns (except the Kahrs infrequently). All this to say, take your time and remember if you're serious about carrying (on a regular basis), that depending on dress and weather you may need more than one carry piece if you are to always leave home with one. If only two you may want to make your "range toy" something that you can also carry comfortably on the occasions that weather and dress allow. Have fun and be safe!

*edit: meant to say Kahr's DAO striker fired above
    Thanks for your thoughts. I currently own SA, DA/SA, and Striker fired pistols, several of which are "compact" (Glock 19, XD45). The glaring holes in my collection were the lack of a range toy/race gun and potentially wanting to replace my K9 as my EDC sub-compact.

I ended up getting both a Sig P365 and a Sig P320 X5 Legion.
    Last edited by Cotay; 03-30-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    ron54 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    You bet. I can see you won't be under gunned
    ron54 and BillACP like this.
    sc

--

Member #
    Liked
    23702 times
    The previous posts have provided excellent advice and some thoughtful insights...... a carry weapon is like a pair of shoes in that how you dress, walk and wear them provides a different comfort level for each individual...... many choices and only you can decide which is best suited for yourself..... carry on and be safe out there !
    spentcase and BillACP like this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!