Advice Please

Advice Please

This is a discussion on Advice Please within the New Member Introduction forums, part of the Kahr Forum category; Hello I recently bought my first 9mm - a new in box Kahr cm9 in kryptek camo - that I found online for 300 which ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ron54
  • 1 Post By BillACP
  • 2 Post By BillACP
  • 2 Post By Higgy Baby

Thread: Advice Please

Member #

Advice Please

Hello I recently bought my first 9mm - a new in box Kahr cm9 in kryptek camo - that I found online for 300 which was a bargain. (When it arrived I noticed some minor exterior cosmetic damage to the front and back of the plastic frame, but shot about 40 rounds using the single 6 rnd mag it came with, without any failures).
    Taking advice from YouTube, I racked the slide many times to help break it in.
    Then I'd insert the full magazine, rack the slide back to eject each round until empty (because I was also practicing loading the magazine), then store it locked back over night.

The problem I'm having is now I'll do this & it will eject the first 3 rounds fine, but on the 4th & 5th round the slide only comes back 1/2" or so then jams, doesn't go any further back. Have to remove mag then (2) rounds. Broke it down, didn't notice anything unusual. Oddly tho it will chamber the final (6th) round of the magazine.. I have cleaned and lubed it every time after firing.

My concern is; If I fire from this magazine now, will it explode in my hand on the 4th round if the slide acts the same way? I got a 7 round magazine that does not exhibit this problem when I manually eject all the rounds, so at least maybe it's the mag and not the gun?
    I'm not firing from the 6rnd mag for now.
    Anyone ever have this problem?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23862 times
    You may have a defective mag since it doesn’t have the issue with another magazine....
    BillACP likes this.

The hardest part about a Zombie
    Apocalypse is trying to act like
    I'm not excited ..... !!!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ron54 View Post
    You may have a defective mag since it doesn’t have the issue with another magazine....
    Thanks for the reply!
    It would seem that way, even though I ran 40ish rnds thru it w/o problems- My concern is if the slide's gonna jam when I fire that 4th round and explode in my hand, or it has no relation & will run fine like it has. It's a very specific and uncommon question I know- & I hate to spend another 30 on a magazine if this one's still fine, I just don't know what would cause it to jam like that on only those 2 rounds. It was a relief when I manually cycled the 7 rnder & it didn't have the same problem- rather have a defective mag than gun!

5. Remove Advertisements
    KahrForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8955 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsANewKahr! View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    It would seem that way, even though I ran 40ish rnds thru it w/o problems- My concern is if the slide's gonna jam when I fire that 4th round and explode in my hand, or it has no relation & will run fine like it has. It's a very specific and uncommon question I know- & I hate to spend another 30 on a magazine if this one's still fine, I just don't know what would cause it to jam like that on only those 2 rounds. It was a relief when I manually cycled the 7 rnder & it didn't have the same problem- rather have a defective mag than gun!
    Are you manually racking the slide to feed rounds when the problem occurs or during a firing sequence? If so, you should always chamber a round using the slide release with Kahr pistols. Otherwise I would check that the mag spring is not reversed. Also you could run into future problems deep seating the bullet in the casing with frequent loading of the same round(s)...
    ron54 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    Are you manually racking the slide to feed rounds when the problem occurs or during a firing sequence? If so, you should always chamber a round using the slide release with Kahr pistols. Otherwise I would check that the mag spring is not reversed. Also you could run into future problems deep seating the bullet in the casing with frequent loading of the same round(s)...
    Hi, and thanks for your reply!-
    It happens when manually feeding/cycling the rounds through as I have seen done on a knowledgeable gun shop owner's YouTube channel, so I didn't think it would cause a problem.. Although I only saw him do it once for a full magazine to show capacity, and yeah I've cycled the same ones through a few times. I know they reccomend to use the slide release lever, but others have said they pull the slide to release without issue, as long as you give it a firm pull. The issue there is that there's not much room for the slide to move back like on larger guns, which I believe is why Kahr reccomends using the slide release, and yes I have experienced the bullet nose-diving and jamming the slide doing this.
    Ok I didn't know it could cause bullets to become deeply seated, thanks. And I'll check the magazine spring.
    I may try to get some snap caps and see if the same problem occurs, but I know Amazon is giving shipping priority to needed PPE and supplies.

Member #
    Liked
    8955 times
    Hi, and thanks for your reply!-
    It happens when manually feeding/cycling the rounds through as I have seen done on a knowledgeable gun shop owner's YouTube channel, so I didn't think it would cause a problem.. Although I only saw him do it once for a full magazine to show capacity, and yeah I've cycled the same ones through a few times. I know they reccomend to use the slide release lever, but others have said they pull the slide to release without issue, as long as you give it a firm pull. The issue there is that there's not much room for the slide to move back like on larger guns, which I believe is why Kahr reccomends using the slide release, and yes I have experienced the bullet nose-diving and jamming the slide doing this.
    Ok I didn't know it could cause bullets to become deeply seated, thanks. And I'll check the magazine spring.
    I may try to get some snap caps and see if the same problem occurs, but I know Amazon is giving shipping priority to needed PPE and supplies.
    Yep, on a Kahr the recoil springs are stiff with very little relief to insure you you've fully pulled the slide back all the way to provide sufficient & reliable force function to chamber a round & not short cycle. Personally, I primarily use the slide release to chamber rounds in all of my semi autos even during qualifications - keeps my hands in better firing position after loading mags - especially in timed events. I'll bet that using the slide release will solve your feed issues & provide confidence in your CM9's reliability...let us know... :~)
    Last edited by BillACP; 04-04-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    spentcase and ron54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11666 times
    Yep +1 on what Bill said. Kahrs are tight pistols....and when they are new- almost everyone will have issues trying to hand rack.
    Maybe when its 10 years old and many thousand rounds through it- you might be able to hand rack a mag full through it- maybe?
    BillACP and ron54 like this.
    Certified Armed Infidel