Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a new P380 in the high 3000 serial number range. I bought it in January and took it to the range for the 1st time. Put 100 rounds of WWB through it using four different magazines. Before shooting I cleaned/lubed and racked the slide about 750 times, and dry fired it about 200 times, and then cleaned/lubed again.

The gun fired the 1st 99 rounds without any stoppages. On round #100, the last round of the day and the last one in the magazine - I had a classic stovepipe jam.

In addition to the stovepipe jam on the #100 round, I had several failures to lock the slide back on the last round. These were not "stoppages" per se as the mag was empty. The slide would only lock back about 50% of the time.

I really like the pistol - had alot of fun.

My biggest complaint is that the trigger reset is pretty long/far compared to the Glocks I shoot all the time. I had to let the trigger go pretty far forward to reset for my next shot.

·
Registered
371 Posts
possably results of a tired shooter to. Shooting 100 rounds out of the P380 is not the easiest thing to do. Small gun not much grip, it will tend to want to twist in ones hand after awhile, especialy when one gets alittle tired. Not say you are the fault but 99 rounds and then one crapy round is more of an indication of possable shooter error.

As far as not locking open on the last round check to see that the recoil spring is on correctly and again failure to lock open sometimes is just the result of improper grip on the gun. Give it some more rounds and I bet you and the gun will mate up perfectly and all will be Ok.

Also take the slide off the gun and re insert the slide lock lever and now put in a loaded magazine to check to see that no rounds are hitting the slide lock lever on the inside. this can cause pre mature slide locking open and also feedign issues. Now empty the magazine and insert and see how that follower is picking up that slide lock lever on the inside. very easy to watch all of this action with no slide on the gun.

My P380 works great until I get tired and then little things pop up to tell me, it is time to quit. Course another good reason to quit is I can't find any low priced 380 ammo aorund either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jocko - I did your tip on filing down the slide lock lever due to it contacting rounds in the magazine (did this before my 1st range trip). I also called Ion to request a new slide stop. On the range trip in question I fired 50 rounds with no malfunctions (except slide not locking back), and then my wife fired 50 rounds with one stovepipe jam when the last round had ejected. She may have had a weak grip - I only saw the resulting jam, not the shot.

Also put 100 rounds through my Glock 26 - still 100%.

·
Registered
371 Posts
calviroman said:
Thanks Jocko - I did your tip on filing down the slide lock lever due to it contacting rounds in the magazine (did this before my 1st range trip). I also called Ion to request a new slide stop. On the range trip in question I fired 50 rounds with no malfunctions (except slide not locking back), and then my wife fired 50 rounds with one stovepipe jam when the last round had ejected. She may have had a weak grip - I only saw the resulting jam, not the shot.

Also put 100 rounds through my Glock 26 - still 100%.
no doubt she probalby didn'thave the proper grip on the P380 and it more than likely twisted alittle in her grip and that caused the stive pipe. A good grip is a ust on thes elittle guns or they willrock on you for sure. What rounds were you using that was hitting the slide stop lever???Mine would not do good with 102 grian golden sabres but worked with evertying else. If it just brushs the slide stop lever that is ok, but it shoud not ever wantto push the slide stop lever upward or you willget premature slide lock opening. The last round slide stop thing is nice but personaly for me, if it doesn't work that is OK wityh me, as I never carry a spare magazine and my Ruger lcp 380 doesn'thave an auto slide stop and I don't miss it either. to me better to have it not lockopen to possably premature lock open. You might hav eto find the right defense round to give you the best of both worlds and that is the slide stop working asit should and that round givingyou good reliability also.Nice gun, just take your time with it. Kahr squeezed alot of little bells and whislte in this little gun. Find the defense round that works great for the gunand just stick with it then..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only ammo I have for the range is WWB "Ball". It was hitting the slide stop pretty good before I filed it down.

My CCW ammo is CORBON DPX - it was also hitting the slide stop before filing.

I have not put any DPX through it yet - waiting to finish "break in" first as the DPX is over $1 per round!

·
Registered
371 Posts
calviroman said:
The only ammo I have for the range is WWB "Ball". It was hitting the slide stop pretty good before I filed it down.

My CCW ammo is CORBON DPX - it was also hitting the slide stop before filing.

I have not put any DPX through it yet - waiting to finish "break in" first as the DPX is over $1 per round!
Is the dpx now clearing the new slide stop lever?? I am presently shooting and carrying power ball in my P380. It feeds perfect, shoots nice and clears the lever with ease. Might not be as good as the dpx but for me it clears and shoot great, so probably I will just stick with the power ball. It is a damn nice gun but IMO) just a tad bit ammo picky and alot of tha tis due to the slide lock lever. Proabably why Ruger left their auto slide lock lever out of there gun, . IMO not really needed for a pocket defense gun, Nice when they work though and for range use, but to me it is a defense gun and any lever, gimmicks gizzmo's on a gun sometimes is not needed...My 2 cents worth YMMV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes DPX and WWB both clear the slide stop. No contact at all. Ion sent me a new stop - but I have not tried it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts