Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting video by James Yeager on 40 cal hand guns................ :skydive:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
At least my local Wallyworld always seems to have 40 ammo, but not 9mm !!

·
Registered
137 Posts
"I've trained over 3000 people this year" ..... :gorilla: Maybe so, but I wasn't one of them.

Each of us have our own preference when it come to firearms and ammunition.

A specific individual may shoot a certain caliber with more accuracy than another, thus achieving better results.

I currently shoot .380, .9mm, .40 and .45 in my pistols, but do not preach on one specific caliber, or force it on others.

Ease of carry and the overall weight of a pistol comes into play when you're speaking of concealment, for the average citizen.

There is a lot more to ballistics than caliber size. As in, despite what you have heard, bigger is not always better.

The .40 is a heavier round than the 9mm giving it some of the advantage of the .45, however it does not sacrifice velocity to achieve the higher weight unlike the .45. In most situations it is more a matter of where you hit someone rather than what you hit them with when it comes to handguns.

According to the FBI the only things that matter (ignoring shot placement), are whether or not your chosen round will penetrate enough and how big of a hole it makes. Whether you choose a 9mm, a .40S&W, a .45ACP, or whatever to accomplish that goal, I don’t care and I really don’t think it matters all that much as long as you can handle your chosen weapon/caliber combo.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Makes more sense than what Mr Yeager says........In my opinion !!

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
The longer I've carried the lighter and smaller my handguns have got.
My first carry was a 40, then I moved up to a full-size 1911. But after my first micro 9 everything else seemed to be really big.
I still love shooting my 40, wouldn't be without one. I do see me getting a cm40

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I really like carrying and shooting my CM9 and I'm accurate enough with it to place hits within and acceptable area BUT I've only put 1 1/2 boxes thru my CW45 and I'm a lot more accurate with it. It's really not bad to carry either being just a little bigger than the CM. Like you say feedramp the difference between guns/cal/weight longer barrel and on and on makes a difference. I really like my kahrs and see no way I would chose to be without them.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Agreed Toney...I'm not packing a 380 or LC9 as my primary concealed.
When I taught the academy, we used Glock 40's exclusively. The Sheriff's department had just transitioned to them. My department, used exclusively Sig P226 9's. Since the Sheriff's dept funded the academy, we taught with Glocks.
Within a year, we had several hundred weapon failures primarily with rails being split. The Glock rep came out and explained what Yeager just spoke of. Glock built their 40's on 9 frames. Within about a year, Glock replaced all the old style 40's with a "new & improved" version. We had far less failures but they never lasted as long as the Sig's. We, MPD, used Sig's for over 15 years as our duty weapon and had very little issues after that many years of service but the intial cost was far higher. In 2008, MPD was offered a "buy-out" from Glock to purchase all of our old Sigs and replace them with new Glock's. Glock recommended the 9 over the 40. Why?
It seemed the life expectancy of the 9 was much longer for the use we intended for it and Glock gave a life-time replacement as long as we contracted with them to purchase solely Glocks. Glock gave the 45 as an option but not the 40. That spoke volumes to me...I bought back my Sig during the "phase out" and still have it. Awesome weapon regardless of the price. IMVHO:police:

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think there's a lot of wisdom in the posts here. Everyone has a preference and comfort zone for what they carry. And to say which one is better or the right one to use, is purely a matter of what works best for you. If you have a reliable weapon and are very competent handling and shooting it and carry it well, then that's what you should choose. That said of course, bigger and more powerful will always have an advantage. But as a practical matter we are not soldiers going into battle. We are everyday citizens looking for a reasonable way to protect ourselves and loved ones. One thing that Mr Yeager says that makes the most sense is.......don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things...........and bring bad things upon yourself to deal with in the first place........ It's called (lookout here it comes) .......,common sense !!!!
So the best advice I would give is, whatever you choose ( let it be something you handle and shoot very well and safely ) ......... So choose wisely grasshopper !!!

Reactions: Ratfink

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Exactly Ron. We put thousands of round down range with the 40's. Something the average shooter will never do. Most shooters put less than a 1,000 rounds through any given weapon in their lifetime. Use what you trust, trust what you use, train until you trust what you do.:salute2:

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
It's the same as when I was a LEO, we carried .357 mag revolvers. Maybe 1/2 of the department would't be able to qualify with magnum loads, so we used 38s for quals:dispirited:

The caliber debates will never end:lemo: If you shoot well with what you carry, you're carry'n the right caliber/gun:tickled_pink:

O'course opinions may vary.

Do what you want, 'cause you will any way:getdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts