Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This beginner would like to know the difference between the subject ammo if somebody would please.

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
You know there is a lot of each... 45 automatic colt pistol is different than the 45lc.
9-19 has a couple names, Parabellum Luger. But there is 9-17, 9-18, and several longer than the 9-19, like the largo.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Toney is correct as usual...........
Also like Toney said has several names, for example......9mm .... 9x19 .....9mm Luger .......9mm parabellum .......9mm NATO are different terms for basically the same ammo.
45 and 45acp are the same thing.......then there is 45lc, long colt, I believe is considered cowboy ammo, for shooting in revolvers ( if I'm wrong please correct me ) Then there's 45gap which isn't popular.......it's a higher pressure or hotter 45 load, not very common.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought 45 ACP for my CW45. Ok I hope?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Thats fine.......thats what you should use....

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good. I hoped I was right. Excuse me.. I knew I was right.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reason I asked was I picked up some on sale 9MM and was talking to the behind the counter guy and he asked the type 9mm gun I had. Then I found out the on sale ammo was not for a 9mm luger. Told me they were, the luger, longer. I didn't know, hence reason for asking about the 45.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yesterday's Lone Ranger used the .45 Colt = .45 Long Colt.

Silver Bullets have poor ballistics and do not kill Vampires.

Today's Texas Rangers uses the .45 ACP = .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.

Fishes of the Seas say "Make Bullets not Lures".

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks KO. Do you know why the difference in 9mm to Luger? I remember my Boris Karloff movies using a stake to kill vampires or was it werewolves? Toney would know he's the hunter, not to say you aren't also.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Stake for vampires.........
Silver bullet for werewolves.......

·
Registered
509 Posts
The 9mms as we know them today are called many names depending where in the World you are living. The 9x19, 9mm luger, 9mm Nato and 9mm Parabellum are all the same. The 9mm short and 9mm Kurz are the same thing also, but we Americans call that cartridge .380 Auto. I know nothing about the 9x17, 9x18 or the Largo.

In 1908 the German Army adopted the 9mm Pistole Parabellum, ie the P08, the Luger, the German Luger pistol. This pistol was originally chambered for the 7.65mm bullet and was called the OP00. I have a few WWI and two WWII P08s from various Manufactors. Yes, I love my Lugers.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
8b2db234e1ad92983deb58567e7bd435.jpg I could have got one of these Spanish destroyers for $125 in 9mm largo, I didn't have a clue about the ammo.
That's when I studied up on 9mm, you know the very next shop I went into had ammo for it

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Kind of funky.........and cool too !!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 9mms as we know them today are called many names depending where in the World you are living. The 9x19, 9mm luger, 9mm Nato and 9mm Parabellum are all the same. The 9mm short and 9mm Kurz are the same thing also, but we Americans call that cartridge .380 Auto. I know nothing about the 9x17, 9x18 or the Largo.

In 1908 the German Army adopted the 9mm Pistole Parabellum, ie the P08, the Luger, the German Luger pistol. This pistol was originally chambered for the 7.65mm bullet and was called the OP00. I have a few WWI and two WWII P08s from various Manufactors. Yes, I love my Lugers.
Very good KO. Thank You. Heard several reasons this is the best. I wish I had known they were usable in a .380. I could have saved some money. For years I had a Browning .380 Auto. BDA. That .380 ammo is and always was expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, found a shooting range today and drove over hill and dale to get there and they are closed Mon and Tues........grrrrrrrrrr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts