Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a classic example of why everyone should take responsibility for their own protection seriously................
Family calls 911 when intruder tries to enter home, waits hours before police show up
By Will Lerner
Mar 25, 2014 5:11 PM
Odd News
On March 16, Terri Bice of New Orleans and her family were woken up at 2 AM, when they heard their dog Molly barking and someone trying to break into theirhome through the front door. Bice immediately made a call to 911, but as WWL Eyewitness News reports, that didn’t wind up being too useful.
As it would turn out, Molly’s barking scared off the would-be burglar, who probably left to escape being seen. However, feeling reassured they would be ok quickly evapatored when calls to 911 were unanswered. Bice took note of her calls. She made two to 911 and didn’t get an answer. She then called New Orleans Police Department’s (NOPD) non-emergency line twice and, again, wound up getting no answer. It wasn’t until she made a call to NOPD’s Second District that she finally got an answer. That wasn’t the end of it, though. Bice and her family had to wait nearly two hours before an officer came to their home.
Terri Bice (WWL)
So why the lack of response? It appears to be a staffing issue. WWL reports that along with a reduction of NOPD officers on the street, the Orleans Parish Communication District only has 36 call-takers, less than half of what has been recommended. New Orleans Councilwoman Susan Guidry, who knows what happened to Bice, told the station that a committee meeting already planned will be discussing the staffing woes. Deputy Mayor Jerry Sneed issued a statement:
"It is a priority for our residents to feel that their concerns will be addressed when calling 9-1-1. All of the city's public safety agencies are working to significantly increase operator staffing, reduce non-emergency call volume, and improve call center management performance."
NOPD spokesperson Remi Braden issued a statement as well:
"No one feels worse arriving late to help residents than our officers. We apologize for the wait time on this call. The NOPD remains focused on hiring quality, professional recruits to better serve our residents and visitors."
As for Ms. Bice, she has programmed more emergency phone numbers into her phone and now owns a gun – something she hopes she’ll never have to use.
That's some serious bullshit................

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I often wonder if people think this unvarnished and apparent ambivalence of the police toward protecting us is a feature of just recent times? NO.. I had a similar event in Washington suburbs in way back in 1967. I waited outside watching a guy that had removed the the window screen and pulled the curtain open while wife and I sat watching TV. I got my 22 pistol (wow), told wife to call police and I went outside to watch him while he stood on a picnic table at the widow. After 10 mins or so I went back in to see if police were here. Nope. I checked back every 10 mins for 30 minutes. Finally while watching this character he started walking along the apt wall. I couldn't let him think he got away with this only to come back another time so I shot 5 as close over his head as I dared while he limp ran away. The police showed up about 10 minutes later knocking on our door. I asked what took them so long and they explained I lived on the edge of two or three city boundaries and they were arguing over who had to answer the call. They asked why a gun was laying on the table. I explained. They said they had stopped the guy for running a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. They said I would not have to worry about him....ever. He was so scared the car smelled bad and he could hardly talk. This was in 1967 as I said. Since then I've had to call the police over the years for home protection. I don't think they burned too much rubber to get here but get here they did. The point is to be prepared yourself to repel BG's. Lesson Learned. There are never enough police to protect all of us and BG's have change from the old days. Now it seems they don't just rob and leave. No, now it seems they've just got to shoot somebody too.

note: some like to think the police are there for us....uh-uh. With all the nuts out there I'm sure they are spread thin and someone put you in line.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
No comment :cigar:

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right bob........The part I especially like is the rhetoric spewed by both the deputy mayor and nopd spokesperson about how they are aware of the problem and taking steps to fix it........sounds like our political system working at its finest doing right by us its citizens........what crap......makes you sick !!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Being sorry, for the last several years, is like a salutation similar to "Hi, how are you doing?" or "You're call is important to us, please hold". They aren't sorry at all....the statement hopefully shuts you up so they can give some lame excuse. Do you think them having said they are sorry makes us feel better about getting screwed?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
There is a "strip" bar in Detroit city limits but the parking lot is in another jurisdiction. So if a fight breaks out, as has been known to happen, when called the police ask it is inside or outside and then direct the caller to the right agency. Do you think this may eat up some time?:05.18-flustered:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some people will spend the rest of their lives waiting on 911 to either answer or the Police/Sheriff to show up. It is sad, but that is what some people want to do. Too many people.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
From my end of the lens:
911 is a abused and over-used system that is failing because to many people have too many problems that they want others to fix with immediate and permanent results.
We. as Americans, have for so long been spoiled to fast everything that we are impatient. We have raised a generation of cry babies who whine about anything and everything life through s at them. Not wanting to "deal with it" or be patient and let it resolve itself.
That being said, 911 is flooded and yes, L/E is strained due to these amount of calls for "service". A typical shift in Modesto runs about 180-200 calls for service (911) with about 12 officers on the street for 250,000 people. Do the math. Officers don't pick and choose where they go, they are dispatched to calls.
If there is a homicide or shooting call, then you tie up 6-10 officers until the situation is resolved or deemed safe. That could take minutes or hours. So, in the mean-time, there are 3 or 6 officers left to handle the entire city. That's it. And we don't respond alone to calls of violence for obvious reasons. So now if another shooting or homicide or robbery or whatever comes in, then guess what, right, no one goes to ANY calls.
You can thank your current administration for this decline in staffing and the next time a cop doesn't respond in what you think is appropriate time, thank him for coming at all.
It's a thankless job enough without the BS of being reprimanded by idiots who haven't a clue about police work and the lack of control the officers have over dispatched calls. IMVHO
:growl:

Reactions: lefty60 and John70

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree and understand rat...........I'm not blaming the officers who respond or can't respond because they are performing their duties else ware.............it's as you said the system and lack of support, staffing....etc that is the problem.........along with as you said people calling in with all kinds of bullshit calls. And most of those type of calls can be attributed to the ignorant public at large........shame to say it in this day and age, sad but true !!!

Reactions: Ratfink

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nor am I blaming LEOs. My comment above is intended to say, a victim calls 911 and the evil one then kills the victim before the LEOs can get there, be it 2 minutes or 20 minutes, for the victim, it was the rest of their life. One must take responsibility of ones safety.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why is it so hard for people to get it..........with all that goes on in today's world you have to take self responsibility..........like rat said in his post people want someone else to fix their problems.......

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Nor am I blaming LEOs. My comment above is intended to say, a victim calls 911 and the evil one then kills the victim before the LEOs can get there, be it 2 minutes or 20 minutes, for the victim, it was the rest of their life. One must take responsibility of ones safety.
Arm urself well....it's only going to digress even more as the Demoncats steer tax dollars toward National health care and away from our public safety....

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now if bob would just stop calling every time he thinks a rat is lurking ..................... image.jpg Hmmmm.................... Was he or wasn't he !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Let it be known I've some good rat poison I'm going to spread around for lurking dirty rats. It also works on unsocked rule breakers.....Ron.

"Modesto runs about 180-200 calls for service (911) with about 12 officers on the street for 250,000 people. Do the math. " (Post #8)

Wichita 350,000+ population, I can assure you we have much more than 12 policeman looking after our foolish idiotic BS whims...grin

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let it be known I've some good rat poison I'm going to spread around for lurking dirty rats. It also works on unsocked rule breakers.....Ron.
What............................!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
:05.18-flustered: pay no attention to the rat behind the curtain......just lurking :wacko:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
"pay no attention to the rat behind the curtain......just lurking"?

That's like saying pay no attention the hairy wart on the end of your nose. It can't be done.....but I try.

How will we manage without your Pearl's of wisdom for a hole weak?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Well, my Bible tells me not to cast my pearls before swine (Matthew 7:6)...so I'll let you define who's who in that one...:subdued:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
OUCH!! that hurt you dirty rat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts