Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like much of the country, Northwest Arkansas where I live is short of .380 ammo. Being off today, I was able to get to Cabela's, Academy Sports, and Walmart when they still had ammo left from this week's shipments.

Walmart had a pile of Perfecto (made by Tulammo). I've never used it and when I tried to run a magazine through my new P380 (still breaking it in), I never had one round chamber. I locked back the slide and used the thumb slide release. Ultimately, I had to pull the slide back some and drop the mag in order to get the misloaded round out. I should have known when I saw the price was $12.67. So, Perfecto was far from it. Now, I'm stuck with 3 boxes of 50 of that junk!

At Cabela's and Academy, I took .380 plinking ammo they had, which happened to be Winchester Train & Defend boxes of 50. I scored 6 boxes of these. I was about to get 73 rounds run through my P380, but it wasn't without trial and tribulation. Most of the time, I'd load the loaded magazine, press the thumb release for the slide, and nothing. I'd have to pull back the slide some and release the mag. All the ammo I've shot through the gun before today has been PMC and Blazer Brasses, and I've had no problems. The flat-nosed Winchestrer would fail to load (apart from chambering).

So, far, ammo notwithstanding, I'm loving my Kahr P380. It's fun to shoot, and my accuracy is quite good and tight. I'm waiting on my concealed handgun carry license. So, I'd like to shoot it quite a bit the next few wd

So the question--Are Winchester Training & Defend rounds bad for my P380? I keep quite cleaned and lubricated. In my prepurchase research, I remember reading the P380 can be picky on the ammo. Maybe that's what I'm dealing with.

Do any of you have a P380 and can help me out? I thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I tried American General and it sure didn't work. A mag of Hornaday and it didn't either. Didn't have any selection of 380 either. Only as I described.

Welcome to the Forum KJA, Always nice to have a new member. Looking forward to hearing how you do with your Kahr.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
That's what I thought but it didn't.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hog stuff, bob! you watch me break in a cw380 on here day by day with reloads and weekly write-ups. Break in is a break in, SAVE YOUR MONEY BOB ITS A KAHR,,,, they sell reloads here at this range. Reloads are getting popular. People waiste enough money on ammo to buy a pistol and a reloader. Once you break in a kahr its one of the best guns in the world. Add up all the money peeps blow. Some these boxes of 380 are 32$.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
The hornady should have worked.
That's what I would have thought................they can be ammo picky even when running properly.........!!

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Welcome to the forum kjashcraft71....,

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I'm not giving up at all. I will make that 380 work somehow. I just want to have it come to me the best it can be. I bought some Reloads called RAM which it a popular reload in these parts. They work great for me. They didn't have or do 380's or would have tried them.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Really, once you find ammo that it likes and runs well with, and she's broken in i don't think you will be shooting it lots at the range. A couple of mags every now and then, and you will be good............its meant for sd and not range time fun........as you already well know........so you'll get it sorted out !!

·
Registered
323 Posts
It will eat all after you put 400 rnds thru it. Bob, you could shop an order some 380 reloads. Bob, save all your brass. What was your 380 doing? Iam getting ready to go thru process again with cm9. I dont expect it to run till 400 rnds. If problems, l call Ian. I believe that militec-1 is the advantage too of breakin in a kahr.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
That's a bunch of good posts........lots of wisdom there.....

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
It's fun talking shop AND learning.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
When a bunch of people get involved discussing things there's bound to be some good info from the different observations and experiences to be shared......

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kahr guns are built tight and +P ammo are built for it. It is normal that after 200 rounds it will come apart a little easier, after about a 1000 rounds you can almost field strip with the damn slide release out. Basically kahrs are not designed to be fun to shoot, they are designed to be reliable and very concealable so it is not a great range gun.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
No it's not "a great range gun" but they are pretty accurate and a guy can get caught up in trying to hit the darn bulls eye in a tight pattern.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
That is good to hear. I have 150 of them to shoot when 380 comes home.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome KJAshcraft71. I think a Welcome can be welcomed no matter how late it may be.

I hope you have been able to buy more 380 ammo since your first and only post. 380 can still be a little hard to find around my home, but I have found Precision One Ammunition. Their Defensive .380 ACP 90gr HP/XTP ammo is some of the best being made today. It feeds well in my P380 and the availability and price are good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome KJAshcraft71. I think a Welcome can be welcomed no matter how late it may be.

I hope you have been able to buy more 380 ammo since your first and only post. 380 can still be a little hard to find around my home, but I have found Precision One Ammunition. Their Defensive .380 ACP 90gr HP/XTP ammo is some of the best being made today. It feeds well in my P380 and the availability and price are good.
The review on it is quite good but haven't been able to find any to buy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts