Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these charts online showing the different calibers, and number of shots fired to bring an individual to a state of incapacitation. Thought it made for some interesting viewing, check it out...............
Kind of surprising....!!!!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Ron, that is very surprising! It also raises some questions about distance.:concern:

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What it does not tell you, is that incapacitation here also means that there are instances where aggressor has simply stopped his attack. This would be due to the fact that he has absorbed at least one bullet and has lost his desire or taste to continue, and potentially take more hits...........So in this case any caliber would be just as effective.........as kind of a psychological incapacitation ..........still interesting though !!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 947 the chart made the 22 look fairly good. I had always though I'd us mine after the knife broke:phew:
Goes to show that no one........I don't care who you are.....or think you are.........,wants to be shot........and take a bullet...........even if not fatal or physically incapacitating..........it's going to be very painful, and ruin your day........and if they do take a hit and experience the pain.........they are going think real fast and hard as to taking a few more........

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Am I reading the charts wrong maybe? I'm reading that larger cals. take more to stop BG's? Surely not?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a combination of all the above stated factors and number of shots counted

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Yes I know but it's still surprising.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I know but it's still surprising.
Yes it is...........and I think that in many cases the "psychological" incapacitation is what ends the threat............I don't think the average BG is some huge gorilla type. It's an average type guy or street thug looking to prey on a victim he views as an easy target. And no matter what type of gun, say you pull out on him, the reaction is gonna be oh..( F- Bomb word )..a gun. And if that in itself isn't enough to deter him.........when you let loose with a couple shots and hit the scumbag.........it's ..( F - Bomb word again)...he's either going to exit stage left or freeze, and let you boogie on down the road..........He will no longer want anymore of that kind of action..........game over.......So what say you bob !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I'm sure BG's haven't much of brain or they wouldn't be doing what the are. So... If it hurts then it becomes what is the simplest thing to do to make it quit? Run, stunned , or gun. Most I've seen and heard about is they want out. They (probably most) aren't as prepared to fight for what they want as the prepared victim is.

Mr. Rat would be a good one to run this by.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think your exactly right.....most aren't as prepared.......as the prepared ( armed ) victim would be......... And then again most at the 1st sign of a likely painful encounter and or absorbing a bullet are not going to push their luck..........
So in this instance What Say You Mr Rat.........as you have lived it, and actually have the 1st hand experience ??

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
This just reinforces what we've always taught, never stop at just one hit. Shoot until the threat is neutralized. Then give'em one more to anchor'em down DRT (dead right there):gun:
always better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6. :phew:

Reactions: John70

·
Registered
6 Posts
This could be very misleading since no information to sample size is given or if this is for every incident within a certain time frame... If only 5 events are from a .22 and 500 from a 9mm - obviously the 9mm is going to have greater opportunities to not do as well. Interesting nonetheless but not enough info given to take anything to heart.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the sampling is the deciding factor..............interesting results that show small caliber is still pretty effective all things considered.........at least more so than I would have thought.......

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is nice to know about these charts. These chart is very useful for the gun lovers to know about the Cartridges. These list help us to know about all different calibers.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
A friend of mine has always issued this warning "paper is patient, you can put anything on it".

All of this type of ballistic information is very interesting, but it don't always seem to "play out" the same in "real life". It don't take into consideration a lot of possible variables. The more that you study, the more conflicting information/opinions you will find. Could cause a headache.:sad:

Let me be clear, I have not been shot nor have I ever shot someone. Part of my job was to study shooting reports, mostly FBI and local reports/stats. Then apply what I "learned" to our training programs.

I do have a coupl'a recommendations as a result of this.

1. Carry/use the best quality defense/duty ammo that you can get.
2. Carry the handgun that you can shoot with skill and confidence.
3. If you must shoot someone, shoot'm to the ground.

And lastly, do your best to avoid ever having to be in a gunfight.

This is my opinion, please take it for what it's worth to you. Stay safe.:crazysmile:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Not me! I'm not throwing MY $550 kahr that took 20 boxes at $23+ a box($460) to "break in" at anything but my holster while I'm running....thank you.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You mean hobble away

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Thats what I told the old lady about her 32.

And I thought I was still in a 380 thread this morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts