Kahr Handgun Forum banner
181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
As a reminder, no one ever complained after being shot from Wild Bill's 1851 .36 cal Navy Colt - about the same performance specs as the FMJ .380... I was never concerned carrying the .380 as an occasional backup working the streets or as my primary "off-duty" weapon when only 95 gr FMJ was available...it's about being able to instinctively handle what you have available with respect to shot placement...seen a lot of fatalities generated from .22's - .32's, too...

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
As a reminder, no one ever complained after being shot from Wild Bill's 1851 .36 cal Navy Colt - about the same performance specs as the FMJ .380... I was never concerned carrying the .380 as an occasional backup working the streets or as my primary "off-duty" weapon when only 95 gr FMJ was available...it's about being able to instinctively handle what you have available with respect to shot placement...seen a lot of fatalities generated from .22's - .32's, too...
Yep..........and spoken from someone who knows ..........

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Thats the main reason I went with the Kahr P380,stainless steel and many parts machined not molded in metal/ MIM.
Built like a tank.Reliable. Proven. My CCW. Just sent it out to have all parts that can be treated with the NP3 finish coated
against corrosion. Serious abut the Kahr 380.
Sounds impressive........... when you get it back, post some pictures and let us know what you think of the new finish !

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have heard this argument many times over the years. Yes, there is no Sammi "Official rating". But that does not mean there is no Hot Loaded ammo. And believe we all understand what that means. You do not have to go far to find Plus P loads. Pico's are Plus P rated and so are Kahr's. And if anything while you may choose to not consider a Plus P rated gun, but there is also the fact that these guns are built tough. Even if shooting standard ammo you are going to get a heck of a lot more durability and ammo down range than a gun built from aluminum VS a gun built out of stainless steel. And unfortunate that is something many gun reviewers, sales clerks, and even owners fail to mention. Kahr should be proud of their Plus P rating. Owners should mention it all the Time. It sets themselves to a higher standard!!

And NO do not shoot Plus P out of a "Aluminum" Chassis pocket pistol. Some say just go to a 9mm. I personally do not agree with that. (And I have small 9mm's). If I can get some extra power out of a 380 and it is safe to do so, then I will take it. Especially before I CCW a gun that weighs twice as much. The 380 round is developing more and more all the time. It is here to stay. Maybe Sammi SHOULD start listing it.
I shoot Plus P out of my Pico and Kahr and do not need a Glock to shoot this ammo.
Shooting the Bull rated PrecisionOne as a top contender for the 380. I mentioned I shot PrecisionOne Plus P and seem to catch a lot of slack from some posters that you should not shoot Plus P which IMO can be defined as just hotter ammo. Ok, So I shoot PrecisionOne PlusP and contacted Precision for the FPS. They replied.

380 90 grain HP/XTP 925 FPS
380 90 grain HP/XTP +P 975 FPS

Ok, shoot me, so I am getting a little more push out of the 380 on a round that was rated very high. And of course I shoot small barrel pistols. Persoanlly I say if you cannot shoot this ammo out of a pocket pistol, then get another pistol that can. Precision is the Most accurate ammo I personally have shot. Now their Plus P ammo came out after Shooting the Bull rated their Standard ammo so well. Perhaps, he should go back and test the PrecisionOne Plus P. Maybe that extra 50 can yield some favorable results. I keep a open mind toward all 380. ammo. But once again, I will Never, purchase a aluminum chassis Pocket Pistol again. And any Manufacture that does rated it for Plus P say's more to me than just the ammo. Heck, There are some Pocket pistols that cannot even take a few thousand rounds of "STANDARD AMMO" through them. Trust me. I owned 4 of them.

By the way here are some other ballistic charts of FPS.

380 ACP Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
At around 1,000 fps a 50 fps gain is noteworthy, modern powders are generating better velocities at lower pressures, which is a good thing!

If you have a gun that is not safe with modern factory ammo you need a better gun! :tongue-new: :grin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
At around 1,000 fps a 50 fps gain is noteworthy, modern powders are generating better velocities at lower pressures, which is a good thing!

If you have a gun that is not safe with modern factory ammo you need a better gun! :tongue-new: :grin:
I will agree with that. And I believe the key words are "Modern Factory" and "safe gun". Reloading of course is a completely different ball game. The Plus P designation is technically meaningless as far as SAAMI specifications in 380. The ARX Polycase ammo did not score very well in 380 with Shooting the Bull and they do not make a Plus P version. However in 9mm they do. Pocket guns and gear did a test with the Ruger LCR9mm and the ARX in standard Ammo which did not perform very well, their Plus P was excellent.
I am not a ballistics expert and can only rely on the test done by Modern Factories. The 380 is a very popular cartridge in modern times. Perhaps SAAMI should start listing it.
Perhaps Manufacturers of firearms should also drop the Plus P rated and choose something else. For instance the Kahr and the Pico would be Premium Grade and the LCP standard grade.
In factory ammo, I do not feel PlusP ammo is unsafe unless fired from a "Standard grade" 380. Personally I believe that there are Pocketguns out there that are realistically designed to shoot the 32.cal and simply pushed the limits to shoot 380. JMO
It would seem that 380 ammo rated by the manufacturer as Plus P, is just using safe limits to acquire better results or desired results.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Shoot your defense ammo often?
cost difference. It is approx. Half the cost of Hornady with the same bullet. I can buy a 250 round mega pack for $69.00.
They do not sell their ammo by the 20rd box. The sell a box of 50 for 29.00 And as for performance of recoil, and accuracy, I Prefer the Precision. And Ironically the Plus P ammo is actually a very mild shooting ammo.

What I find interesting is the fact that after ShootingtheBull rated the PrecisionOne as one of the top contenders. It was after this rating that Precision came out with a Plus P. Could it actually have better results than even the previous test?
The only difference was
PrecisionOne
925 standard ammo
975 Plus P

Yet Hornady list this as this, but does not list it as Plus P.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Shoot your defense ammo often?
cost difference. It is approx. Half the cost of Hornady with the same bullet. I can buy a 250 round mega pack for $69.00.
They do not sell their ammo by the 20rd box. The sell a box of 50 for 29.00 And as for performance of recoil, and accuracy, I Prefer the Precision. And Ironically the Plus P ammo is actually a very mild shooting ammo.

What I find interesting is the fact that after ShootingtheBull rated the PrecisionOne as one of the top contenders. It was after this rating that Precision came out with a Plus P. Could it actually have better results than even the previous test?
The only difference was
PrecisionOne
925 standard ammo
975 Plus P

Yet Hornady list this as this, but does not list it as Plus P.

The only thing that I can say is; if it works for you and you like it use it! :grin:

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Ok, so tell me what you NOTICE with this ammo? And tell me the significance of this post.

Sorry to say; my guessing skills are non-functional today! Then there is the notice that the photo may not be a true representation of the actual product!

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
It appears ammo is steel case......... ?

Reactions: lefty60

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Reactions: lefty60

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man that was fast! I ordered 500 rds of PrecisionOne 380 from Outdoorlimited.com on Thursday, and on my step at home on Friday. I was going to order from PrecisionOne directly from Precision in Calif., but saw Outdoor had them in stock. They are located in NC. I live in Va. Regardless, it can take other places days to just to get a label created. I paid standard shipping which was and a additional $2.00 for rush. Still the total shipping was only about $12.00. Will just go ahead and buy a 1,000 rds later. PrecisionOne is my favorite ammo with all my 380's. For me, the most accurate of many that I have shot. Very dependable. and I carry the PrecisionOne xtp for CCW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
U known I've put my 10 rounds of the Remington UMC FMJ coming, and bought a box of PMC FMJ to test also through mine without any problems. :711_smiley_shooting

181 - 200 of 207 Posts