Kahr Handgun Forum banner
201 - 207 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like you I just bought a new CW380. Before heading out to the range, I cleaned it. Surprise, it was dirty. I assume test shots at the factory?
Anyway, I shot 150 rounds of Blazer Brass Black Pack 95 gr. round nose FMJ and not one problem! None. Zero. Nanda.
Having looked on YouTube and seeing many people have had problems, either I'm just lucky or it loves this ammo.
Blazer Brass Black Pack (its a 350 rd bulk pkg) was on sale at Academy Sports (350 bulk pack for $79.95) - Black Friday specials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The question of what ammo will work in my CW380 has reappeared now that ammo is scarce. I carry my 380 for ccw because i have a bad back and have a hard time tolerating anything heavier. Like alot of guys i was satisfied with constant failures with fmj target ammo as long as my gun was perfect with the hollows I carry. It has no problems with the Hornady XTP rounds. However lately I could only find a box of Federal Punch 380 for carry. Does anybody have any experience with this ammo? Does the CW380 have any problems with this ammo? Since this is my only carry option I would really like to know.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The question of what ammo will work in my CW380 has reappeared now that ammo is scarce. I carry my 380 for ccw because i have a bad back and have a hard time tolerating anything heavier. Like alot of guys i was satisfied with constant failures with fmj target ammo as long as my gun was perfect with the hollows I carry. It has no problems with the Hornady XTP rounds. However lately I could only find a box of Federal Punch 380 for carry. Does anybody have any experience with this ammo? Does the CW380 have any problems with this ammo? Since this is my only carry option I would really like to know.
Federal has always been good holding tolerances with their ammo & you shouldn't have a problem but you really should at least feed a mag of the Punch through your CW380 to insure it cycles / feeds properly - preferably try a few rounds rapid fire. The concern is that you shouldn't have constant failures with FMJ while feeding or ejecting unless it's ammo specific, your CW is new & not broken in, not using the slide release to always chamber a round, or manufacturing issues, etc...let us know. I don't have the 380 in that I carry a CM9 & haven't shot the Punch...use Federal HST's...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion to try a mag. Good idea. The box came with 20 rounds and I carry 14 between a 7 round mag and 6 rounder. So it will just work out. Normally of course I would have shot a couple of boxes before carrying them. Especially in my 380 which is super finicky. The CW is still better than any other 380 i've tried as long as it cycles the hollows without problems. With the fmj's: I've had the gun for 3 years and it likes some better than others but even with the best one i've tried Magtech, it still fails about twice per 50 rounds most of the time. It has gone back to Kahr for refitting at least once that I can remember. Conversely with the Hornady Gunner it has never failed and is accurate. It even locks back for the most part. I think that what they say about 380 seems to be true. Its just not a powerful enough round to cycle a tightly machined and short gun like a Kahr reliably unless the round is smaller and well made. Also your grip has to be really good all the time for it to function correctly. I also have a CM9 that I carry for short periods when I can. It on the other hand is extremely reliable and doesn't care what ammo I feed it. But it's too heavy for me to carry for long without a lot of discomfort. I will try a mag of the Punch in my next range session and hope that it can tide me over until ammo is less scarce.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion to try a mag. Good idea. The box came with 20 rounds and I carry 14 between a 7 round mag and 6 rounder. So it will just work out. Normally of course I would have shot a couple of boxes before carrying them. Especially in my 380 which is super finicky. The CW is still better than any other 380 i've tried as long as it cycles the hollows without problems. With the fmj's: I've had the gun for 3 years and it likes some better than others but even with the best one i've tried Magtech, it still fails about twice per 50 rounds most of the time. It has gone back to Kahr for refitting at least once that I can remember. Conversely with the Hornady Gunner it has never failed and is accurate. It even locks back for the most part. I think that what they say about 380 seems to be true. Its just not a powerful enough round to cycle a tightly machined and short gun like a Kahr reliably unless the round is smaller and well made. Also your grip has to be really good all the time for it to function correctly. I also have a CM9 that I carry for short periods when I can. It on the other hand is extremely reliable and doesn't care what ammo I feed it. But it's too heavy for me to carry for long without a lot of discomfort. I will try a mag of the Punch in my next range session and hope that it can tide me over until ammo is less scarce.
Yep on grip & being firm to reliably cycle the rounds. Yeah, I wish I would have bought a couple of extra 50 round boxes of Federal HST 9mm when I had the chance since the CM9 is my EDC...other handguns stay home. With the CM9, it's small enough to pocket carry in shorts during the summer or in slacks otherwise which will keep the additional weight below your waist. I carry my CM9 in a Robert Mika pocket holster for years without issue as a suggestion: Mika's Pocket Holsters
Wood Gun accessory Metal Font Fashion accessory

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will try that too. I have a few extra boxes of HST 9 hollows that I got talked into buying because they were on sale. So glad that I did. Thanks

201 - 207 of 207 Posts