Kahr Handgun Forum banner
161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
My CW380 had no problems with Estate and Federal Champion or White box range/target/practice. No go on Perfecta , Winchester WB (flat nose), or Fiocchi ammo. Now that it is broken in any ammo works and I carry PwR"Ball sD ammo for my EDC.
There are more factors to understand then to just say certain ammo is a no go. I do not shoot WW box as you mention in your post, however you say"Flat Nose". Winchester appears to be a RNFP or Round Nose Flat Point. RNFP should not be a reason that the CW380 would not like the WW ammo. Freedom Munitions is also a RNFP and the CW eats them like candy. So I am guessing that there is something else going on with WW.

Also a lot of post that the CW380 does not shoot "Fiocchi" is not exactly true. Mine would not accept Fiocchi "linea" as the OAL was too long, however great results with mine on the Defense ammo "Fiocchi Extrema". which has a shoter OAL.

So it is of My opinion to be careful for others to not just look at all "Fiocchi" as a round not acceptable to the Khar CW380 as Fiocchi Extrema may prove to be one of your best reliable defense loads and a round higly praised by Ammo Quest for one.

"These Fiocchi rounds performed extremely well in the bare gelatin test and I would say they performed quite well through the IWBA 4-layer-denim test too. It's way too early to declare them a "winner", especially because one round exceeded the 18" maximum. But truthfully, these rounds performed so much better than I was expecting when I first started this quest, if I knew that I would find a round that would exceed 12" in bare gel and also 12" in denim and also all expand (to some degree), I would have been thrilled. I would say that someone arming themselves with these Fiocchi Extremas would be getting about the best performance one could expect from a micro-pistol. I will be testing the remaining rounds to see if anything beats their performance, but it looks like we've already found two rounds worthy of serious consideration."
I can also buy Extrema for $13.00 and free shipping from Sportsmen's guide. (member price about a $1.00 more for non member.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
For civilian SD use, it's not all about caliber or ammunition configuration...it's about reliable hardware performance you can control for your ability to make accurate shot placement under stress with consideration to any daily carry dress criteria...seen too many gun shot wounds & fatalities from .22, .25, .32 & .38 cal using non hollow point ammo...

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
For civilian SD use, it's not all about caliber or ammunition configuration...it's about reliable hardware performance you can control for your ability to make accurate shot placement under stress with consideration to any daily carry dress criteria...seen too many gun shot wounds & fatalities from .22, .25, .32 & .38 cal using non hollow point ammo...
Yes............most any ammo if hitting a vital spot/organ can be an effective stopping/disabling round........generally speaking ....

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would agree 100%. I have ordered more Extrema and Hornady CD to eliminate the one that is not the most accurate. From early results, they seem close. I am a big believer in shooting the Pocket gun often. I shoot mine at least once a week. I also believe in training at home, drawing etc. I train heavily with Point and shoot skills. How fast you can draw and hit center mass quickly. It is my belief that Pocket guns actually require more training than other larger pistols. They have a certain learning curve that you have to conquer, and train often with due diligence. I know many owners that shoot them a few times a year and think that is enough. Each to his own.
C

·
Registered
5,288 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a problem with what seems to be contradictory test results from near identical tests. According to extensive tests by "Lucky Gunner," Hornady 90 gr Critical Defense ammo ranks among the best; but then test results presented by "Shooting the Bull" ranks the same ammo among the very worst; but then "Pocket Guns & Gear ranks the very same ammo as outstanding. All three testers used the same testing technique with very similar pistols, so any ideas as to why the extremely different findings? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I'm having a problem with what seems to be contradictory test results from near identical tests. According to extensive tests by "Lucky Gunner," Hornady 90 gr Critical Defense ammo ranks among the best; but then test results presented by "Shooting the Bull" ranks the same ammo among the very worst; but then "Pocket Guns & Gear ranks the very same ammo as outstanding. All three testers used the same testing technique with very similar pistols, so any ideas as to why the extremely different findings? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Don't put too much stock in those tests; the testing medium is not a living critter or a human being! Most of the results are merely one person's opinion as to what the test means!

With hunting critters or during gunfights many strange things can and do happen. Use the defense load that functions well in your pistol and is accurate, then carry on!

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Don't put too much stock in those tests; the testing medium is not a living critter or a human being! Most of the results are merely one person's opinion as to what the test means!

With hunting critters or during gunfights many strange things can and do happen. Use the defense load that functions well in your pistol and is accurate, then carry on!
I have to agree here..........the tests can be interpreted in different ways by the each tester..........I can tell you for a fact that the Hornady SD ammo runs well in Kahr’s weapons........from personal experience ( with several Kahr’s ) and other members on this forum who have used/use it........

Reactions: lefty60

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nothing wrong with Hornady CD in 380. That one bad review is an outlier for more reasons than one. Great ammo. But these days I’m carrying fluted polymer ARX rounds. They’re lighter and the bullet goes faster.

Reactions: lefty60 and ron54

·
Registered
92 Posts

And or gosh sake, Please do not do what I see almost 95% of the time at any range I go to after 10 years of shooting pocket guns on a regular basis, and that is take a whole lot of time, get the proper stance, focus on the Bulls Eye and slowly squeeze the trigger. I honestly think some folks thing the bad guy is just going to stand there while they Target Shoot his A*&. Learn to draw the gun and hit center mass as fast as possible. Set a goal of doing this in 3 sec. and get faster.
These are NOT target guns.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spent the day at the range today with a few of my regular range buddies. We ran quite a bit of ammo through a couple of guns comparing to the Sig 365. Nice day, hot, humid, but we had a good time. I also hit the CW380 with my favorite ammo PrecisionOne Plus P. Gun ran 50 rounds like a top. This ammo was one of the favorite on the ammo quest test. However that was standard pressure. This is Plus P. The Kahr loved it and it is a XTP round. No flaws, PrecisionOne is probably the most accurate ammo I have shot in all my 380's. At least for my personal results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
This was a review I found for Precision One XTP for ballistics and other .380 ammo. XTP is an excellent round I found as well at the range.
From the site Shooting the Bull ballistic gel tests.Results can be found here. Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull
The test is a few years old 2013. This test is not a range ammo test.

Also See Below
From The Precision One web site: http://precisiononeammunition.com/
***************************************************************************************
380 ACP

Product 7/11
Previous
Return to the Product List
Next
380 ACP 90gr HP/XTP +P *NEW* 50rds
larger image
380 ACP 90gr HP/XTP +P *NEW* 50rds
$28.99
HOME PROTECTION-PERSONAL DEFENSE. These rounds are made specifically for maximum power and effectiveness. All new components featuring the Hornady XTP Personal Protection round. These are 50rd boxes not 20rd like others...more to shoot and still be able to fill more than one mag.

+P....these rounds are formulated with a little more power, better designed for the Glock 42 with the heavier recoil spring. These are NOT suited for the regular 380's out there.
****************************************************************************************
I checked the manual.
Nothing found in the manual excluding "+ P" except to use top quality ammo and not to use reloads.
Higher pressures can lead to more stress on firearm components over time.
You may want to check with Kahr if using the +P on a regular basis.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There isn't an official +p rating for 380. But as lefty said all Kahr firearms are +p rated although I doubt their 380 model because there is no standard for it. Why I won?t use or test .380 ACP ?+P? or any ?+P+? ammo? | Shooting The Bull
I have heard this argument many times over the years. Yes, there is no Sammi "Official rating". But that does not mean there is no Hot Loaded ammo. And believe we all understand what that means. You do not have to go far to find Plus P loads. Pico's are Plus P rated and so are Kahr's. And if anything while you may choose to not consider a Plus P rated gun, but there is also the fact that these guns are built tough. Even if shooting standard ammo you are going to get a heck of a lot more durability and ammo down range than a gun built from aluminum VS a gun built out of stainless steel. And unfortunate that is something many gun reviewers, sales clerks, and even owners fail to mention. Kahr should be proud of their Plus P rating. Owners should mention it all the Time. It sets themselves to a higher standard!!

And NO do not shoot Plus P out of a "Aluminum" Chassis pocket pistol. Some say just go to a 9mm. I personally do not agree with that. (And I have small 9mm's). If I can get some extra power out of a 380 and it is safe to do so, then I will take it. Especially before I CCW a gun that weighs twice as much. The 380 round is developing more and more all the time. It is here to stay. Maybe Sammi SHOULD start listing it.
I shoot Plus P out of my Pico and Kahr and do not need a Glock to shoot this ammo.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
With the advancements in gunpowders, there is much-improved performance at lower pressures! In many cases,:grin: +P pressures are no longer needed!

Reactions: BillACP
161 - 180 of 207 Posts