Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here,
I just got my new "California complaint" p380 last week and after chambering a round I see a nice red LCI pop up, didn't see it at gun store for obvious reasons. No problem right? Wrong, this thing sticks up high enough to actually be just a bit in the line of sight between the front and rear sights! So, does anyone have any ideas about how to go about resolving this issue? I won't do any mods. until the gun proves itself to be reliable. Would it be possible to set the LCI so it wouldn't raise up quite as high? I don't need much, maybe a 1/16" or so lower would do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Gary

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Welcome @gwwilton53 ....I was surprised to read that! Had to go pull mine out. Neither my CW9 or CT380 have that. Don't know if that is specific to the "P" series or just a newer model? The sights on these guns are fairly low profile- so, I can see where that may be an issue. Before you do anything- you may want to contact the gun store for a possible model swap? If not- you may have to learn to live with it. Being California?...I doubt you could 'remove' it and still be "compliant".
Good luck. Come back and let us know the end of this....... :unsure:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @gwwilton53 ....I was surprised to read that! Had to go pull mine out. Neither my CW9 or CT380 have that. Don't know if that is specific to the "P" series or just a newer model? The sights on these guns are fairly low profile- so, I can see where that may be an issue. Before you do anything- you may want to contact the gun store for a possible model swap? If not- you may have to learn to live with it. Being California?...I doubt you could 'remove' it and still be "compliant".
Good luck. Come back and let us know the end of this....... :unsure:
Thanks for the reply. From what I've been able to ascertain, this particular LCI is the norm here in the land of fruits and nuts. Removing or modifying the LCI won't effect it legally in Ca. It was only required for Kahr to put this abomination on the gun in order to be able to sell it here.I guess I'll just have to live with it for the time being. Moreover it's a bit shiny so I had to use a magic marker to dull it down so as to make it a little less visible. I might just shave off a little bit of the tip once the gun is broken in and proven to be reliable. Just pisses me off that they (California) had to have Kahr make it stick up so high, looks like a big red flag, as to interfere with the sights! Thanks again
Gary

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Also, you may find that your Kahr likes to be given a little more front blade dotting the "I" where the LCI won't be as obtrusive...rapid fire your concentration is on the front sight dot anyway which should be above the LCI...in trying to live with it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, you may find that your Kahr likes to be given a little more front blade dotting the "I" where the LCI won't be as obtrusive...rapid fire your concentration is on the front sight dot anyway which should be above the LCI...in trying to live with it...
Well, I went to the range today and was pleasantly surprised to find that the LCI really wasn't the issue I was dreading. I still hate that red "flag" sticking up but the the sights were usable and the gun shot quite well. After breaking it in at home ie locking back the slide for a couple of days and racking it a couple of hundred times it ran the CCI Brass with narry a hick up. It didn't like the PMC or Remington hollow points too well though but maybe after a good cleaning and a bit more break in it will. Anyway, thanks for the responses, it's appreciated.
Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
A thought crossed my mind other than the first “wow” (not being from CA, a lot that happens there receives a “wow”); that depending on how you look at it, the LCI in your vision field is also a “gun is empty” flag when you don’t see it. Us revolver folks were always taught to mentally count your rounds but under stress you often don’t. The red flag NOT there tells you to change mags if you failed to count. So maybe the flag thingy is not a total loss.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I have had issues with PMC...don't remember which gun? But Remington has always worked for me. Had quiet a bit from a purchase long ago- that I did have issues with earlier this year in a new Ruger 380. I just suspect it was old and may have been exposed to moisture?
BUT- I have found that Hornady Critical Defense works in every gun I have fired it in. 380 and 9mm. I was fortunate to catch a sale at Bereli, and Glen's Army Navy store (online). I had 5 boxes of each delivered for like $100. Thats pretty good.
Good luck-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Louie, that could be a WOW if not for the fact that the slide locks back when empty. It's just another ridiculous Ca. rule made up by the legislators (ie, educated idiots) who know absolutely nothing about fire arms. Higgy, from what I've been reading/researching the Kahr p380 will adapt to the PMC once I put enough through it. It will (supposedly) even run flat nosed ammo once a couple of hundred rounds are shot. I plan to just use up what ever PMC I have left and will probably stick with the Blazer brass at the range and try the Hornady for carry. Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
I plan to just use up what ever PMC I have left and will probably stick with the Blazer brass at the range and try the Hornady for carry.
Gary
I've had a California Kahr P380 for the past six years and that is exactly where I ended up. Blazer Brass for the range and Hornady Critical Defense for carry. This gun is very reliable when it is working, but it is very finicky and prone to failure for a variety of reasons. Mine's been back to the factory four times various reasons. Each time was a learning experience. The firing pin that comes with the P380 is fairly worthless. Mine broke twice in the first 500 rounds or so. I think dry firing may have contributed to those failures even though Kahr claims that dry firing is not a problem. There is a company called Lakeline that makes a replacement firing pin for the P380 that lasts. Another minor problem is that this gun eats springs. Early in my experience I had to replace them every 300 rounds or less. I've now found it's best to not break in your springs by locking your slide back for two days or racking it a couple of hundred times. You are just reducing the life span of the springs when you do that. With fresh springs, worst case scenario on the range is that the Blazer Brass will not have enough charge to lock the slide back on the last round occasionally. But the Hornady Critical Defense will. Also, Kahr claims that you can shoot +P ammo in the 380. I went though a few boxes on the range one day and the gun failed due to the polymer frame warping. That was one of the trips back to the factory. Moral of that story is don't shoot +P ammo.

I could tell you more, but I really do love this gun because it is so tiny and easy to carry concealed. It is a miniaturized version of the Kahr P9 which I also have, and the P9 is super reliable. The trick with the P380 is to get it to a state where it is reliable and you can trust it. Then leave it alone and stop playing with it. It's not a Glock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, I knew that already. I've had my G19 since the '80's, never any issues. Thanks for the heads up on the +P. Haven't heard anything about the springs or firing pin before. Just bought mine, maybe those issues have been addressed?🤞 I have the PM9 as well, nice pistol. I do know that .380's in general can be finicky, especially when it comes to ammo. Thanks again. Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I knew that already. I've had my G19 since the '80's, never any issues. Thanks for the heads up on the +P. Haven't heard anything about the springs or firing pin before. Just bought mine, maybe those issues have been addressed?🤞 I have the PM9 as well, nice pistol. I do know that .380's in general can be finicky, especially when it comes to ammo. Thanks again. Gary
Gary, the big benefit for you is that you bought a new P380 which comes with a lifetime warrantee. That is not the case for those who buy a used P380 or CW380. For this gun in particular, its worth the couple of hundred extra bucks. As I said, mine's been back to the shop four times in six years. If and when you encounter various idiosyncrasies or parts failures you can send the gun back to Kahr for free repairs. It takes a month or so, but they do a great job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, I agree that's why I got both the p.380 and pm9. Original owner lifetime warranty! So far so good for my guns although, I was helping a friend clean his pm9 today and found the trigger pin had backed out at least 1/16th" and his front sight had moved at least an 1/8" to the left. I realize we're talking .380's here but, have any of you pm9 owners experienced this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts