Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry all the time ...
Eventually I may get pulled over by the law..
Do I say I'm carrying.??
After what happened in Minneapolis I may just keep my pie hole shut.. if he don't ask ..I don't tell..

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
I carry all the time ...
Do I say I'm carrying.??
After what happened in Minneapolis I may just keep my pie hole shut.. if he don't ask ..I don't tell..
I said the same thing to my son.......we are not required to tell.... Like you said after what happened in Minnesota, I don't think I'm saying anything........ And if I'm in a situation where I'm going to tell......im making sure my hands are out in front of me and up where the officer can see them.......and then asking "how would you like me to proceed" .......

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I carry all the time ...
Do I say I'm carrying.??
Well, all the facts aren't in... I would comply with State regs & obey officer's instructions...don't reach until told after the carry notification!

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
But seriously what happened there was a real tragedy........and most likely because the driver didn't keep his hands up where they could be seen ........and not "Asking" the officer what he wanted him to do..?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But seriously what happened there was a real tragedy........and most likely because the driver didn't keep his hands up where they could be seen ........and not "Asking" the officer what he wanted him to do..?
Believe me..I'm taking it serious.. I live in Minnesota..

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
This is a great post Ricky because it calls attention to something any one of us could face one day. And how you act/react......and what you say or don't say could end up very badly for you........everyone should take pause and think about how they would deal with a similar situation.........should it ever happen to them.... ????

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Some states require notification.

Keep your ID and vehicle info where you can easily reach it before the officer can reach you have all of this, on the dash, at night turn the interior lights on, and most important, hands on the steering wheel until told to do otherwise.

In Orygun when/if the officer does a DMV or DL check it will show a CCW permit has been issued to the registered owner or your DL will be flagged.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
In the areas I worked, I didn't like to see much, if any, body movement (not limited to turning, bending, reaching, etc.) inside the vehicle until instructed...they were usually hiding or reaching for something other than their DL...from my street experience...

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
In the areas I worked, I didn't like to see much, if any, body movement (not limited to turning, bending, reaching, etc.) inside the vehicle until instructed...they were usually hiding or reaching for something other than their DL...from my street experience...
Agreed. Lefty Jr. bought one of those "hold crap" gizmos that go on the visor. He keeps all of his paperwork, ID, etc. in that, a fine idea I think!

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
Agreed. Lefty Jr. bought one of those "hold crap" gizmos that go on the visor. He keeps all of his paperwork, ID, etc. in that, a fine idea I think!
So here's your solution. ...............get an old laying around the house tackle box (everybody has one) and a wire coat hanger (everyone also has one) and undo the hanger............. then use the hanger to attach the tackle box to your cars sun visor..........now you have storage for all documents. ......and anything else you may need........ahh....even a beer or two...........a practical if inelegant solution ??
Here's a diagram of needed items.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
In Missouri, we're not required to tell, but the three times I've been pulled over, in the last ten years, the first thing the officer has asked is if there are any weapons in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I've had a few rifles fingered by police officers.

Got pulled over one year going to the relatives for the holidays buy one of them drug task force.

Had a trunk load full of fudge and other Christmas candy and a couple of rifles. The officers made me give them my pocket knife while they checked the truck.

I was sporting my winter haircut...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Some states require notification.

Keep your ID and vehicle info where you can easily reach it before the officer can reach you have all of this, on the dash, at night turn the interior lights on, and most important, hands on the steering wheel until told to do otherwise.

In Orygun when/if the officer does a DMV or DL check it will show a CCW permit has been issued to the registered owner or your DL will be flagged.
Ditto in CA, and most of the time the police dispatchers tell the cop his subject has gun(s) registered to him.

But after Dallas....best to glue all 10 fingers to the windshield in plain view until the conversation starts and is going well.
Or as the LA blacks from So Central used to say "I don't want to be no accident."

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got stopped by a state trooper about 8 years ago, I was actually walking back to my truck from a walking trail. He asked for my id saying that there had been some burglaries in the area what was I doing here etc. I didn't tell him I was carrying and he didn't ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it is probably better to tell the officer that you have a license to carry and you are carrying now and keep both hands on the wheel. Tell the officer where it is and let him or her remove it. Better to tell them than to have them find out.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I think it is probably better to tell the officer that you have a license to carry and you are carrying now and keep both hands on the wheel. Tell the officer where it is and let him or her remove it. Better to tell them than to have them find out.
First of all, welcome to the forum! Hoping to have you join in on the conversations. :congratulatory:

The less that you let anyone "play" with your firearm, the better off and safer you are. Many LEO's are not safe with their own service weapon.

And, just in case you are wondering, I am qualified to make that judgement.

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum! Hoping to have you join in on the conversations. :congratulatory:

The less that you let anyone "play" with your firearm, the better off and safer you are. Many LEO's are not safe with their own service weapon.

And, just in case you are wondering, I am qualified to make that judgement.
I totally believe in lefty's judgement...........the folks they hire and put out in the field today.......and that includes most jobs filled by many corporations, government agencies.......etc.......are sorry and unqualified to effectively perform all but the most basic tasks of that job.........I spent my entire working life in corporate management. .........and in real world first hand experience to know it's true.......old experienced guys like us here on this forum have forgotten more than most of the people out there working today will ever know........

Reactions: lefty60
1 - 20 of 69 Posts