Kahr Handgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I keep my CCL right behind my driver's license. If I am ever pulled over I will hand the officer both if I am carrying. If not I'd just hand over my license. In either case my hands will be on the wheel holding license(s), registration, and proof of insurance before he gets to my window. If I give him my CCL and he asks if I have a weapon I will reply in the affirmative, tell him where it is and ask him how he would like me to proceed. Cops have a hard enough job without me making it any harder for them. Or for me :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
I totally believe in lefty's judgement...........the folks they hire and put out in the field today.......and that includes most jobs filled by many corporations, government agencies.......etc.......are sorry and unqualified to effectively perform all but the most basic tasks of that job.........I spent my entire working life in corporate management. .........and in real world first hand experience to know it's true.......old experienced guys like us here on this forum have forgotten more than most of the people out there working today will ever know........
A couple of years ago I lived in a condo complex. One afternoon I came home and saw one of my neighbors at the curb talking to a female officer sitting in her patrol car. Out of simple nosiness I walked over just in time to hear the neighbor ask where/ how should he keep is newly acquired CCW pistol. "Put in on the dash so we can see it and that it is not in your hands if you get pulled over" was her reply.
With my eyes rolling up and a head slap I walked away, before I said something that would get me in trouble with the dumb-ass chick.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I keep my CCL right behind my driver's license. If I am ever pulled over I will hand the officer both if I am carrying. If not I'd just hand over my license. In either case my hands will be on the wheel holding license(s), registration, and proof of insurance before he gets to my window. If I give him my CCL and he asks if I have a weapon I will reply in the affirmative, tell him where it is and ask him how he would like me to proceed. Cops have a hard enough job without me making it any harder for them. Or for me :D
As any experienced cop knows, it is the hands that can kill you, not the mouth head or belt.
Inexperienced cops .....no telling what they may think.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Years before I got my permit and not long after I got my first pistol bigger than a 22, I asked a officer about carring a pistol, he said he would carry it loaded. But then he said there were some a holes out there...

I've carried pistols on the dash, ford's got them shelfs above the cubby hole.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Group gropes with loaded firearms is asking for fatal trouble. When I made a stop and was advised that someone had a permit and gun, I always told them; " Leave it where it is and we will get along just fine".

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
Good morning. .........

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
A couple of years ago I lived in a condo complex. One afternoon I came home and saw one of my neighbors at the curb talking to a female officer sitting in her patrol car. Out of simple nosiness I walked over just in time to hear the neighbor ask where/ how should he keep is newly acquired CCW pistol. "Put in on the dash so we can see it and that it is not in your hands if you get pulled over" was her reply.
With my eyes rolling up and a head slap I walked away, before I said something that would get me in trouble with the dumb-ass chick.
And that is a fine example of the kind of incompetence that prevails in this country today, leaders and workers................little wonder things are the way they are........???

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum! Hoping to have you join in on the conversations. :congratulatory:

The less that you let anyone "play" with your firearm, the better off and safer you are. Many LEO's are not safe with their own service weapon.

And, just in case you are wondering, I am qualified to make that judgement.
Thank you, I agree Lefty.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I carry all the time ...
Eventually I may get pulled over by the law..
Do I say I'm carrying.??
After what happened in Minneapolis I may just keep my pie hole shut.. if he don't ask ..I don't tell..
FRESNO COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE DEMONSTRATES HOW TO HANDLE A TRAFFIC STOP IF YOU HAVE A CCW
Fresno County Sheriff's Office demonstrates how to handle a traffic stop if you have a CCW | abc30.com

Save the link for future reference and explination of how you were instructed to act. Ya never know.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Face slap. It is ABC doing the reporting Lefty. For crying out loud, wake up son.
That is a given. Also, the reason that I seldom watch the news on TV and won't buy a newspaper. I use more reliable news sources and do not treat, even those sources as gospel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Group gropes with loaded firearms is asking for fatal trouble. When I made a stop and was advised that someone had a permit and gun, I always told them; " Leave it where it is and we will get along just fine".
This. That's why I won't tell unless I am asked

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't been pulled over in a while and it's not something that happens to me generally. But heres what I do, put on my blinker try to safely pull as far as I can out over the road shoulder. As he approaches, I remove my sunglasses I put my hands on the steering wheel (do not act crazy, disrespectful or perturbed). When he/she approaches my window, with a smile on my face, I say "Good morning officer my family and the citizens of this community apricate the safety you provide to all of us". Then I say " I have a loaded firearm and a license"

After the intro. I just calmly, slowly follow his instructions.

BTW in Texas it's illegal to not tell a police officer if your packing.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I haven't been pulled over in a while and it's not something that happens to me generally. But heres what I do, put on my blinker try to safely pull as far as I can out over the road shoulder. As he approaches, I remove my sunglasses I put my hands on the steering wheel (do not act crazy, disrespectful or perturbed). When he/she approaches my window, with a smile on my face, I say "Good morning officer my family and the citizens of this community apricate the safety you provide to all of us". Then I say " I have a loaded firearm and a license"

After the intro. I just calmly, slowly follow his instructions.

BTW in Texas it's illegal to not tell a police officer if your packing.
I was always tuned in for any movements within or around the vehicle - especially any reaching movements which would include putting sunglasses somewhere. Seeing both hands on the steering wheel first was my preference avoiding distracting behavior but that rarely occurred in the bad areas I worked. Each State has its own requirements for informing / not informing law enforcement of having a legally carried or transported firearm...usually first upon contact if notification is required. If a license is required to carry, I would keep the notification much more simple by just politely stating that you have a license to carry & let the officer ask / direct you from there. Sorry but your appreciation of service comment up front won't gain you any points...just be polite & follow directions as my suggestion.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I was always tuned in for any movements within or around the vehicle - especially any reaching movements which would include putting sunglasses somewhere. Seeing both hands on the steering wheel first was my preference avoiding distracting behavior but that rarely occurred in the bad areas I worked. Each State has its own requirements for informing / not informing law enforcement of having a legally carried or transported firearm...usually first upon contact if notification is required. If a license is required to carry, I would keep the notification much more simple by just politely stating that you have a license to carry & let the officer ask / direct you from there. Sorry but your appreciation of service comment up front won't gain you any points...just be polite & follow directions as my suggestion.
Agreed, and I might add that the appreciation speech tends to indicate covering up for something or being too friendly as a means of distracting!

With the current state of affairs, any officer worth his salt will tend to doubt everything. A sad state of affairs, but necessary for survival!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Bill, It's always worked for me but I live in a very nice area and I genuinely believe what i say regarding the po po.

Bill, seriously you don't have to go through life being a hard ass :smile:

Reactions: lefty60

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hey Bill, It's always worked for me but I live in a very nice area and I genuinely believe what i say regarding the po po.

I worked for a large dept. & did work nice areas on a rare occasion in a tact. unit...my comment from experience stands: keep it simple.
Also, for security reasons, I wouldn't post plate #"s...nice D rings.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts

It may appear to you, and others, as being a hard ass, however, being untrusting, aware, and alert is the formula that will allow an officer to survive the day and go home to his family at the end of the shift. The good old days of jolly old officer friendly are long gone, out of necessity!

Our society is not what it once was, and sometimes, you must walk a mile in someone else's shoes to see the difference.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It may appear to you, and others, as being a hard ass, however, being untrusting, aware, and alert is the formula that will allow an officer to survive the day and go home to his family at the end of the shift. The good old days of jolly old officer friendly are long gone, out of necessity!

Our society is not what it once was, and sometimes, you must walk a mile in someone else's shoes to see the difference.
Thanks lefty...I refrained from going there. I think there was a misunderstanding in that I was always courteous in a "routine" traffic stop even working the worst areas of the City though the most hazardous contacts officers deal with are 1: traffic stops & 2: disturbances in dealing with too many unknown potentially dangerous variables...cause nothing is ever routine to survive the street. An upfront "praising" type comment though maybe sincere, could / would make me question the contact's angle / motivation, etc.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts