Kahr Handgun Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good advice...& it should be mandatory for all reporters / news media types to ride deep nights for 30 days min in the worst area of town...if the dept. personnel would put up with it & added risk!

While still in Patrol my father-in-law wanted to ride with me one night working evenings. Since he worked as a reserve officer in an out of state big city for a few years I said okay & got the ride approved...he never asked again afterwards saying it scared the hell out of him...worked on me then my wife for years to leave finding me a new job back home later...
Properly done it is a wonderful attitude adjustment session. The brass always stuck me with the UCLA & Cal State Long Beach 'social science' majors. Apparently they had to do 8 hours with the cops to get the 4 year degree in whatever caring profession they had chosen. Cop disliking sympathetic liberal was an understatement for those 20 something kids. I worked E. or W. Compton afternoon shift at the time and a normal night was a two page log sheet of calls, fights, bodies and such. I started the shift by showing them the microphone, how the shotgun release works and to yell for help if I got shot. Then I claimed that I wanted them to teach me their way of doing things. Ya never know I might learn something, right? So each call was theirs to direct and I would be there behind them all the way. :crazysmile: The rest is a book full of pants wetting history and many requests to be driven back to the station early so they could go (safe space) home.

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
Properly done it is a wonderful attitude adjustment session. The brass always stuck me with the UCLA & Cal State Long Beach 'social science' majors. Apparently they had to do 8 hours with the cops to get the 4 year degree in whatever caring profession they had chosen. Cop disliking sympathetic liberal was an understatement for those 20 something kids. I worked E. or W. Compton afternoon shift at the time and a normal night was a two page log sheet of calls, fights, bodies and such. I started the shift by showing them the microphone, how the shotgun release works and to yell for help if I got shot. Then I claimed that I wanted them to teach me their way of doing things. Ya never know I might learn something, right? So each call was theirs to direct and I would be there behind them all the way. :crazysmile: The rest is a book full of pants wetting history and many requests to be driven back to the station early so they could go (safe space) home.
You gotta love it..........................lesson learned...... ??

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Heh...outstanding program you developed! I hated being "stuck" with someone I didn't know on those rider programs. On one of those occasions I was forced to take someone similar needing credits & while heading back & close to the substation that night I heard a gunshot. The call came out as a disturbance & when I slowly pulled up to the residence about 30 seconds later, I noticed a man down with another standing over him holding a shotgun with the butt on the ground muzzle up & a female to his left. Before I could stop the patrol car, this "rider" just bailed out on me despite all previous advanced instructions / warnings & did not respond to my repeated shouts to stop. Jamming the gear shift lever into Park while still rolling I immediately jumped out & had to make up some ground working an angle to cover / protect his position as the rider ran up to the man holding the pump shotgun & grabbed it from his hand...the victim was lying there face up with the end of the plastic shot cup protruding out at about the heart area. You can imagine my verbiage to the rider & my supervisors afterwards on surviving from the rider's actions...rider program for this group was permanently suspended.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Heh...outstanding program you developed! I hated being "stuck" with someone I didn't know on those rider programs. On one of those occasions I was forced to take someone similar needing credits & while heading back & close to the substation that night I heard a gunshot. The call came out as a disturbance & when I slowly pulled up to the residence about 30 seconds later, I noticed a man down with another standing over him holding a shotgun with the butt on the ground muzzle up & a female to his left. Before I could stop the patrol car, this "rider" just bailed out on me despite all previous advanced instructions / warnings & did not respond to my repeated shouts to stop. Jamming the gear shift lever into Park while still rolling I immediately jumped out & had to make up some ground working an angle to cover / protect his position as the rider ran up to the man holding the pump shotgun & grabbed it from his hand...the victim was lying there face up with the end of the plastic shot cup protruding out at about the heart area. You can imagine my verbiage to the rider & my supervisors afterwards on surviving from the rider's actions...rider program for this group was permanently suspended.
This right here speaks to me of training and experience. I rode along with a brother-in-law once and he also showed the same ability to think on his feet because of his training and experience. It's what separates the riders (like myself and the guy that foolishly took matters into his own hands), from the guys that are able to put tunnel vision aside and react according to the situation at hand, in the correct fashion. You guys don't get paid enough...

·
Super Moderator
23,513 Posts
This right here speaks to me of training and experience. I rode along with a brother-in-law once and he also showed the same ability to think on his feet because of his training and experience. It's what separates the riders (like myself and the guy that foolishly took matters into his own hands), from the guys that are able to put tunnel vision aside and react according to the situation at hand, in the correct fashion. You guys don't get paid enough...
Yep........not paid enough.......not appreciated or thanked enough.........!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cops earn their pay checks and more 1% of the time. The rest is coffee, doughnuts, playing secretary with a badge, shaking your head at humanity and talking to people. It is the 1% that makes you think about a new career driving a UPS truck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cops earn their pay checks and more 1% of the time. The rest is coffee, doughnuts, playing secretary with a badge, shaking your head at humanity and talking to people. It is the 1% that makes you think about a new career driving a UPS truck.
Or that can keep you from returning home after your shift. I agree with Ron. Our LEO's are not appreciated, or thanked enough. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Heh....& to think I had that UPS job to help put my way through college but my entire family caused sufficient pressure for me to decline the job before I started & take another they had set up...they all said that "no company could supplant the US Postal System for mail & package deliveries"...

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Heh....& to think I had that UPS job to help put my way through college but my entire family caused sufficient pressure for me to decline the job before I started & take another they had set up...they all said that "no company could supplant the US Postal System for mail & package deliveries"...
It would appear that predictions were/are not their strong suit! :lolu:

61 - 69 of 69 Posts