Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been CC'n now for 3-4 months. I'm one of those guys that's hates to stand at a urinal with my back to a door or anywhere for that matter. I'm not paranoid but just like to be in control of my surroundings as best I can. CC'n offers a much better feeling about being somewhat safe. I worry if the day should come as all responsible CC'rs but I sure like my odds better even though I may spend all my $'s on defending myself. That little CM is tucked away giving some comfort and looking to never be used except to protect.

Any thoughts from new CC'rs??

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
Excellent point...........I agree........I also find myself more self aware of my surroundings. When I go out to eat somewhere, I find a seat with my back to the wall and a full view of the entrance. Same in a movie.......I sit towards the back in the middle so I can see everything in front of me. And when I'm out and about I am always looking around checking on what's happening around me. No one the cc's that is of a right mind and sane wants to play Wyatt Earp and blast away at someone taking a life..........only in the most ugly situation to have to use your weapon. But it does give comfort that you have leveled the playing field and put odds in your favor should you face that inevitable situation, one hopes to never be in !!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I mostly got my CC so I wouldn't get in trouble hauling guns to go shoot.
I've had my CC for around 7 years now, don't know what I'd do without it....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Feels to me more like a responsibility of citizenship, sort of like voting: Its a chore and I'd rather not bother, but if responsible people don't, then others who are up to no good win by default. So I'll get a little bit of satisfaction tonight knowing I did the right thing by being armed today.

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum........your not too far from my neck of the woods.............And yes that's another way to look at it..........and it's sad but true........!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have my permit and I have a couple choices of CC guns. I just haven't brought myself to do it.

1. My workplace forbids it and I don't want to get fired
2. See above. I don't want to leave it in my car
3. When I have walked around the house with the gun in the IWB holster I felt like I had 3 arms and everyone would know. I know, so what? I'm legal. But it's a conversation i do not want to have in public.

I'm sure I will get there. I live in a very small town, so random violence, although it exists, is not so prevelant as a big city.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
You can't do anything about 1, but for 2 get a hi-point or something you don't mind leaving it the car. 3 nobody looks or cares.

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
Work is a toughie, as most places forbid it...........I just kept mine in the car............I know most places even forbid that because they consider the parking lot an extension of the workplace. But how likely are they to come out and search your car ! Just keep quiet about it at the workplace and I don't think you have anything to worry about. As far as CC-ing your gun and feeling uncomfortable or self conscious, I think most everyone feels that in the very beginning............properly concealed no one notices...........believe me..........once you start carrying all that goes away. And if your rig suits you properly and is comfortable.........as it should be, you won't even know its there !!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
Oh yeaaaaaaah.................the Wally walk !!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pasvorto, I wasn't sure I would be comfortable walking around in stores and public. I've only been carrying for a short time now and once in the store I don't even notice my concerns and neither does anyone else. I was self conscious for a bit but gone away for the most part. Especially feeling comfortable about be concealed. That Cm is great for this. When I'm working around house and yard I try to be careful about showing as I carry mostly OWB and not covered. When going for the mail or facing he street I cover as much as possible with my elbow. I don't want anyone knowing for several reasons and I don't talk about it except with other CC'rs.

Slowburn, Ditto your comments. In today's happenings a guy could be in trouble in the most unsuspecting places. Sometime ago I came out my backyard garage and met a guy within 10 feet of me heading for my garage door, in broad daylight. He was up to no good and turned on his heel and left. The police tell that the big thing for house break ins is while your watching TV two guys jump in thru your picture window. If your gun was put away in the bedroom saft drawer what good would it do you? So now I have it tucked into a Remora in the chair I'm sitting in. You just never know.

Some would say I'm paranoid...nope just careful and ready.

bob

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
It takes a bit......... but believe me like bob said, that self conscious feeling goes away. I know that there are many that do as I do....... when I get dressed in the morning, holster goes on and gun goes in holster......... and stays there till bed time, then gun goes on nightstand !!!!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Excellent point...........I agree........I also find myself more self aware of my surroundings. When I go out to eat somewhere, I find a seat with my back to the wall and a full view of the entrance. Same in a movie.......I sit towards the back in the middle so I can see everything in front of me. And when I'm out and about I am always looking around checking on what's happening around me. No one the cc's that is of a right mind and sane wants to play Wyatt Earp and blast away at someone taking a life..........only in the most ugly situation to have to use your weapon. But it does give comfort that you have leveled the playing field and put odds in your favor should you face that inevitable situation, one hopes to never be in !!!!!
In 20+ years of L/E, I was only forced to take a life once. But, I deal with it this way "his choice, not mine". He (the perp) had every option and chance to stop but chose to take his best shot. He gave me no other option as I was defending 5 plain clothes officers.
Needles to say, I carry to church. You never know, better to have it and not need it than vice-versa. be safe

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In two of my three gun training classes there have been a preacher and aldermen and other church leaders and not all from the same church. It's awful for you that your circumstance lead to a last choice. I would feel comfortable with myself though as you describe. These nut cases do deserve what the get and there seems to be more and more of them which in part helped me to follow thru with CC license and follow up classes.

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
You know on one hand its a chilling thought when you carry a deadly weapon that one day you may end up taking someone's life. But like you said bob, these nut cases or whatever you want to call them could just as easily or readily take your or a loved ones life. So the hard reality is are you willing to simply be the helpless prey. Or..........if you have the ability to do something to prevent that from happening...........at least have a chance...........why would you not ?!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You said it, "if you have the ability to do something to prevent that from happening...........at least have a chance...........why would you not ?!!!!"

bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to be ready. I was in Vietnam in 69. Pulling that trigger is not as easy as people think. But, that's TV's version.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How long were you there?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had my CPL since July. I carry all the time when I leave home. A couple of local places do not allow CC such as the credit union. Definately do not wear when going to the Post Office!!! I do not carry at home but have guns placed around the house in the event I need one. All loaded and ready to fire.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts