Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first Kahr, a CM 9. Took to the range the other day to start breaking it in. The manual and dealer said I should load a mag, and rack the slide and lock. Then use the slide stop to release the slide. Darn thing is really tight and I cannot do with my right thumb like I could on my Ruger SR9C (which I traded in for the Kahr). I have to use my left thumb and force it down with my thumb nail. I hope the thing gets easier to do.

Has anyone had any issues like this when the gun is new and has it gotten easier to release?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
If will get easier, and you will get stronger.
Being a lefty I use me ring finger to lock it back and my trigger finger to drop it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope it will get easier!!! I'm not a big guy but it sure is hard to release!!! Plan to go tomorrow and put another 100 rounds thru it and will give a report if it is getting easier. Also I have not stripped and cleaned it yet but will after tomorrows range trip.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Mine was the very same way (cm9) and it loosened up but it still takes a firm push but doable. I followed a suggestion given of while watching TV unload gun and pull slide to lock and release as many times as you can. It made a difference. Hope it helps.

bob

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
It will be very hard to release when the gun is empty, but it should release easier when chambering a round. Kahr states that in the manual.........

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Hmmm.........shouldn't really be that way, lube it well and shoot the shiznit out of it. Should loosen up over time, they are really tight new, sounds like yours is tighter than most !!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I still have not got 200 rounds through my cm9 but I have worked it and it does get easier. I will know better in 4 weeks when I get my hand back hopefully!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the range this morning and put another 100 rounds thru the gun. The slide is still tough to rack back. I'll give it a good cleaning and see if that helps.

One other thing, the slide did not lock back twice when the mag emptied. I don't think it was me, but maybe my thimb got in the way. Is this a rare occurance?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I sure hope it will get easier!!! I'm not a big guy but it sure is hard to release!!! Plan to go tomorrow and put another 100 rounds thru it and will give a report if it is getting easier. Also I have not stripped and cleaned it yet but will after tomorrows range trip.

Clean and lube!!! That stuff in it out of the box is a preservative and not intended for lubrication.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
W.C.
Mine has done that two or three times but not lately. I just unloaded my cm and did as I suggested in the earlier post by removing the mag, pulling slide back and engaged the lock. I can then one finger release the lock with my thumb, although still a little stiff. To me that's acceptable and understandable. Reason it's understandable is it's been said that the cm is such a small and compact package that the tight tolerances and the strong springs are necessary to move all it must. Design and tight tolerances is one big reason I bought this gun. I remember though cursing because it sometimes took great effort the push that darn slide release down. Not bad now though. As I've read repeatably "Keep shottin it" and it will get better.
Note: I'm still under 800 rds.

bob

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Clean and lube!!! That stuff in it out of the box is a preservative and not intended for lubrication.
There you go...........could be it right there..........also these guns, because of the tight tolerances don't tend to run well dirty or not well lubed !!!

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
If after you do all the above...........clean........lube well..........run a couple hundred more rounds thru it. If it still is very hard to use the slide release, even chambering a round and having lock back failures on empty mags, it may be an out of spec release lever...........

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
......and then call Kahr for them to fix the darn thing. Every thing I hear about Kahr standing behind their product is exceptional.

bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just finished cleaning the gun. I had left the slide locked overnight and with the clean and lube, it "seems" easier now. Also I can now release the slide with my right thumb. Won't know exactly until I go back to the range.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If after you do all the above...........clean........lube well..........run a couple hundred more rounds thru it. If it still is very hard to use the slide release, even chambering a round and having lock back failures on empty mags, it may be an out of spec release lever...........
Let's see how it goes the next range trip now that it is all cleaned and lubed. I had 2 lock back failures out of 200 rounds. Yes, it needs to be 100% to be a reliable EDC.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Sounds promising so far, now that you have cleaned and lubed it. You might want to rack the crap out of the slide now, if you haven't already...........doing that does help with the break in and loosening it up !!
You can also dry fire it if you like, that will not hurt the gun in any way, kahr even states that on their website

1 - 19 of 19 Posts