Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ljutic,

Thank you for that data and for the time, trouble, and expense you bore in doing such an outstanding job.

I have been giving this subject a lot of thought and, like so many of us, have read extensively on the topic for many years. Still, I wonder what it all really means. Some of the "top performers" can be separated more in terms of cost than in actual performance.

What's a few extra bucks for a round that may be called upon to save my life? (We've all heard that before... ad nauseum.) But I like to practice with the ammo I depend upon for defensive purposes, and I think that it is more important to practice a lot than to be limited by the cost of the ammo one choses.

Is an additional 50-75 fps really going to matter in actual use? It's a rhetorical question (with as many answers as there are gun owners), but it makes my head spin. - Anyway, thanks again for your most interesting data.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doxcy I appreciate your comments. If money was no issue, I think the offerings from Double Tap mixed every other round would be the best option. I am using this option until my stash of DT runs out. When that is gone, I will be using the Rem Leadless flat point and Rem HP alternated every other round. Personally, I wouldn't want to stand in front of any of the sampled rounds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks, Ljutic. Nice test and post. I know that your effort is appreciated.

I got the October 2011 issue of Shooting Illustrated because it had a .380 Shootout... 14 Loads tested with a test of the S&W Bodyguard 380. I would love to post the "Terminal Performance of .380 ACP Ammunition" chart and even the entire page 53 here and at KahrTalk.com, but that would probably violate some copyright laws. The magazine retails for $3.99 and less at discount stores, and is worth the cost. There are several good articles, including a test and review of the new CM9.

For penetration, two were extreme... the BB+P 100-gr Hard-cast LFN at 31+ inches AND the Remington 88-grain JHP 31+ inches as well... plugged JHP, I guess!

I'm carrying the Winchester Ranger T because it's rather mild to shoot and cheaper than the BB 90-grain +P JHP. I'm getting low on the latter, too. The BB 95-gr FMJ FN +P wasn't tested, and I wonder how its penetration would compare with the previously mention two 31"+ penetrators above. :D

Wynn:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happened to be in Walgreens tonight and saw their magazine rack. I wanted to see if I could find the magazine you suggested. Not a single gun or hunting magazine to be found in the large 3 story magazine rack. They must have an agenda, so I guess I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts