Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if any of you that have a Kahr 380 have replaced the slide springs or had any gunsmithing work done.

It's pretty hard to hold the slide back during disassembly/assembly.

Any other gunsmithing work you may have had done on your Kahr 380?

Any comments?

·
Registered
570 Posts
For disassembly place the gun in one hand with the top rear of the grip in the web of your thumb and your fingers wrapped around the top of the slide. Your fingers provide the pull to get the two marks on slide and frame lined up. If you do this with your left hand you can then turn it and the gun over and tap the end of the slide stop/takedown lever with a non-marring object to get it past the spring detent. Once you've broken the gun down several times it become easier to pop that out and you can just use a thumbnail to pop it out of the frame. If you put the gun in your right hand you can use a fine-bladed small screwdriver to insert under the slide stop to pry it out past the detent. Carefully so as to not mar the gun. That way you don't have to turn the gun over and lose sight of the alignment marks.
Any of us who've owned Kahrs for awhile have performed "gunsmithing" chores to one degree or another over the years. What did you have in mind?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Curious to know if any of you that have a Kahr 380 have replaced the slide springs or had any gunsmithing work done.

It's pretty hard to hold the slide back during disassembly/assembly.

Any other gunsmithing work you may have had done on your Kahr 380?

Any comments?
I have replaced the slide springs, but with stronger springs after I have had the pistol for some years as the slide was not staying fully in battery when cocked. I replaced them at Kahr's suggestion. Later I received another note from someone at Kahr just to stretch the existing springs. The new springs were very difficult for me to insert in the beginning. After a while they became manageable. The pistol never did malfunction but I was nervous as I carry it every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts