Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new CW9 based on the glowing reviews and recommendation of a local dealer.
Beatiful piece if you are wanting one to look at.
However, after running 20 rounds of new 115grain Winchester White box, the overload panel blew out. Upon close examination a shell did not enter the chamber completely and blew out just ahead of the cap.
Contacted Kahr, spent many weeks without my gun. Received the repaired unit and took it to qualifying for my CCW. 12 rounds into qualifying it once again blew out the side.
Sent back to Kahr, they replaced it.
Went to the range with new ammo, this one shot well through about 40 rounds, and guess what? another blowout.
Is this a common expectation.
In a personal defense situation I don't like to have an undependable weapon.
Is this to be expected?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was shooting at the range where I bought it and left it with the dealer to see if he can do something like getting my money back so I can buy something else. He has the casing that blew out (Magtech ammo). Not a good day for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, all three times.
Even bought fresh ammo at a local shop the second and third time.
Did I mention the first two were on the same gun and the third one was on a new replacement?

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Wow............in all the time I have spent on gun forums over the last 2 years, I think I saw only 1 instance of this happening to a kahr. Kahr replaced the gun and all was fine. It is not typical of their guns to malfunction like that, and it's incredible that it has happened 3 times to you.

Reactions: azgon48

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I did a search and came up with a few out of battery's in the cw, most thought it was a ammo problem.

From my reloading I've noticed that the brass has changed.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Yeah I would think that is ammo related, but that many times.............just seems really odd....

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Yeah, usually if and when that does happen it's typically with someone's reloads..............that maybe weren't quite in spec......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Had to be a rude awakening when it happens. Is it possible your kahr just doesn't like the " 115grain Winchester White box" ammo. Have you used any other brands?....curious.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
The cover on the right side of the grip frame.
I think its really just there to be able to put the trigger bar in

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
I also believe its sort of a safety valve in the case of an overly hot or out of spec round. It lets the excess pressure out the side instead of back at the shooter or frame exploding in your hand.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Shoot it a lot, it will break in, NOT SHOT ENOUGH

Bring it over here, i get it running. On reloads like air force one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
first 150 rounds

Wow............in all the time I have spent on gun forums over the last 2 years, I think I saw only 1 instance of this happening to a kahr. Kahr replaced the gun and all was fine. It is not typical of their guns to malfunction like that, and it's incredible that it has happened 3 times to you.
I know. Since mine blew up in my hand last weekend I have been searching for answers. Since like 2010 and 2011 there were some pw's and cm with the trouble. Some reload ammo and some factory loads.

Mine were factory loads. Yes the casing blew out the side near the back. Looks like it mine might not have been fully seated. If that's possible. I will share that the trigger continually drew back further and further with each box. I know it has a long draw, but notice it was coming back all the way before firing.

Does anyone know if the the trigger or trigger spring can be misassembled and interfere with the engagement and firing while the shell is not fully seated? There's no reason in my mind to point to the factory ammo without reviewing the trigger issue just prior to exploding in my hand. Thoughts? I have pictures but can't seem to figure out how to attach them. Side panel blown off and trigger spring get slightly hanging out. You can see the casing Crack while still in the gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Attached pictures

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Technology Cable Automotive lighting Fixture Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
I have pictures but can't seem to figure out how to attach them. Side panel blown off and trigger spring get slightly hanging out. You can see the casing Crack while still in the gun.[/QUOTE said:
Picture attached

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Wow........not good.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Out of battery.

In the past we had a bad experience with several cases of 9 mm. The back of the casing on some we're too large to fit into the barrel. It happened on a day I was shooting (4) 9mm pistols and the problem became evident on all of them so we knew it was not the pistols.

We disassembled one of the pistols, held the battery end up and went through every round dropping each into the barrel to check the fit.

Approximately 25% were bad, yep! 25 %.

I shoot several times a week and though time consuming I know check every round before in goes into the range bag. All calibers.

Sent from my iPad using Outdoor Forums

1 - 20 of 23 Posts