Kahr Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put another 100 rounds through my P380. Several times I would insert the magazine with the slide to the rear. I would then depress the slide lock to chamber a round and the slide would get hung up half way. It would lock the slide up and it took a lot to depress the magazine release to clear the problem. This with Winchester ballisti-clean ammo.

Then started to load some Hornady critical defense and only has the same problem once or twice. So you think this is an ammo issue or a problem with the pistol. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put another 100 rounds through my P380. Several times I would insert the magazine with the slide to the rear. I would then depress the slide lock to chamber a round and the slide would get hung up half way. It would lock the slide up and it took a lot to depress the magazine release to clear the problem. This with Winchester ballisti-clean ammo.

Then started to load some Hornady critical defense and only has the same problem once or twice. So you think this is an ammo issue or a problem with the pistol. Thanks.

Dave
How many rounds through the gun?
Was the gun dry fired prior to loading from slidelock? If it was the striker may still be in the forward position preventing base of cartridge from sliding up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rounds were nose up when they jammed. I've got exactly 200 rounds through the gun now. It seems to be more finicky with the 7 round magazine. I did not dry fire the gun prior to loading from the side locked position. Is the Winchester frangible the same as white box ammo that I hear people say is garbage? Thanks.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
Could be an issue with the 7 round mag..........they have been known to be fussy ! Also could be the Winchester ammo.........the p380 has been known to be somewhat ammo sensitive.............And sometimes the recoil spring is slightly weak and can cause issues..........Sometimes just have to experiment with different ammo and another mag/s........and possibly try another recoil spring...........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. Can I get a sturdier / stiffer recoil spring from Kahr??? Would I need to send my gun to them?? Thanks.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
I dont think kahr has heavier springs.......I would try Wolf, I believe they do !

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
You having failures shooting?
How many rounds since you cleaned and lubed?
Hows you feed ramp look?
Call kahr and ask.

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
Good point........ when do the failures start, right away in the first few mags in a clean gun...... or after you have run a bunch of rounds thru it.

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
These small subcompact guns like to be kept clean and well lubed to function properly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bulk of the problem is the gun not returning to full battery. This started right away with a clean well lubrucated pistol. I'd fire a round , then I would have to slightly nudge the slide forward to return it to full battery. As I shot probably 30-40 rounds I started to have the problem loading the gun. I'd insert the magazine and the slide stop lever seemed stuck. No matter how hard I would press, it would not allow the slide forward to chamber a round. Then on certain occasions the slide would move forward but the round got caught between the magazine and the barrel ramp, bullet end up.

I might try a new recoil spring. I'm going to tray different ammo. If the problem persists I will ship it to Kahr. I really like this little gun. I just need it to be 100% before it becomes my EDC.

Dave
Dave

·
Registered
509 Posts
The bulk of the problem is the gun not returning to full battery............,then I would have to slightly nudge the slide forward to return it to full battery.................I'd insert the magazine and the slide stop lever seemed stuck. No matter how hard I would press, it would not allow the slide forward to chamber a round.................. I really like this little gun. I just need it to be 100% before it becomes my EDC.

Dave
Dave
Mine too: I took my brand new TP-45 to the Range for the first time this week. It faliled to go into full battery 6 times within the first three magazines. The six times was with older very dull brass cartridges. My Kahr worked fine with new shiney brass cartridges. The six dull brass cartridges loaded and fired just fine through my 1911. I only have 56 rounds through my Kahr at present. I hope to go shooting again this coming week.

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
Can't hurt. ........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice. What would I use to polish the breach face? I have a dremel kit with some polishing attachments. Would that work. What type of chemical or compound if any would work? Thanks

Dave

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
Flitz or jewelers rouge.............easy does it !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good advice. I'm a newbie when it comes to this. Woulda been funny for you when I post a picture of my p380 carved to shreds after I butchered it with a dremel!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,360 Posts
Toneys caution is real........more harm has been caused by using a dremel on a weapon than anything else. ......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts