Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pursuing the purchase of a handgun which required the seller delivery and buyer pick up thru their respective local FFL's I have several questions. First of all what are the requirements the FFL must perform when accepting a handgun to be delivered to the buyers FFL? Also what are requirements of the receiving and informing the buyer their purchase is ready for his/her pickup?
I ask these questions because of the recent experience. The FFL charges were $40 dollars for each of the FFL dealers plus a UPS delivery charge.
My comment is because of the FFL $80 charges and the delivery cost, approximately $40, I couldn't justify paying 1/2 more than the price of merchandise for handling so the deal was called off.
I talked to another FFL dealer and he couldn't understand the reason for the FFL $40 charges as being a new FFL dealer he charges $15. Now I'm trying to understand it myself. Maybe an FFL dealer would offer some insight of his requirements and his justification for whatever he would charge for the service.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I pay 20, in okc there's a shop that does them for 10 for members of the local forum.

The ffl just has to FAX a copy of their license to the dealer. Sign the gun in and out. Easy money.....

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
:dispirited: I buy all my guns at yard sales or PP and there is no FFL required...sounds like you need to move bob?:huh:

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
The shop by me does transfer paperwork for $25. That is just for the transfer, which does not include shipping !!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The shop by me does transfer paperwork for $25. That is just for the transfer, which does not include shipping !!
That the going rate here...but avoid the fee's and buy PP:salute2:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That the going rate here...but avoid the fee's and buy PP:salute2:
PP?? and if I move Mr. Rat I'm going to be looking for a cabin on a coast line somewhere.

My asking around has shown $25 appears to be the average price. I thought maybe a fee or inspection might be required. I wouldn't believe a FAX would cost anything near $40 to send in proof License. T-in-Cek

I'm changing FFL's as of two days ago. I really liked the range/dealer I was using but I'm limiting expenditures there.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Yeah I think he was ripping you there.......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree and apparently ripped at both ends, different FFL for two different customers. I have never minded paying a fair price for anything but given the choice to change, I will.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Well that's it, I don't mind paying for the item or service. As everyone is entitled to make something....... As long as it's a "fair" price or fee....

·
Registered
137 Posts
As of Jan. 1st of this year, one of my FFL dealers went from charging $40 for a handgun transfer up to $75 ..... :startle:

Guess I will no longer use them for incoming ....

Outgoing in still at $40 ... :huh:

·
Registered
148 Posts
My local FFL - a cop with a lucrative home/internet/gun show-based side business - charges a flat $13.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the checking around I've done and these Post comments convince me that SOME dealers are and will continue to raise FFL prices(Post #10) until buyers/sellers change to other dealers that want ALL of their business and don't take advantage. I suppose there are other reasons but I would think gouging the delivery market would force customers to purchase their guns at their store rather than pay high prices for delivery costs. Short sighted I think. All it does for me is piss me off enough that I will travel to another store to not have to do business with them.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
You know bob some people don't know any better and check around......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ron, of course some don't know better and then there are others that try to right a wrong which in this case would help all. There are also others that have no choice because of limited access (one horse towns) and there are even others that talk of it when given the chance or try to spark conversation on a slow day. It would seem if talked about and generally understood by newbies and some old hands or maybe even by some dealers that monitor Forums such as this one that changes could be made to help themselves and potential customers. I'm one of those old school guys that try to buy at my neighborhood stores or stores that consider buyer/seller relations. They take care of me then I'll take care of them.
Being a newbie myself a little while ago I didn't know any better. I figured by law the FFL's were given a set list of requirements to live to and maybe even limited charges he may ask for.

Just sayin

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think you are required to use Next Day Shipping on firearms so that can be expensive. My local FFL charges 25 USD to do the transfer. If I want to drive to the next County I have a friend that will do the transfer for 15 USD. I usually use my friend.

Reactions: feedramp

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
That's right its usually the overnight shipping that gets you..... unless the ffl tries to hit you with a ridiculous fee...

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In this case the FFL guys on both ends were different and did not know each other and charged $40 each. The delivery cost was not discussed but was up and above the "handling" costs. And as for one day delivery, nothing was ever mentioned that I know of as to method of shipping. I went thru an FFL dealers about 7 months ago and I waited several days to pick up.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Hey Bob, have you truer searching on gallery of guns? Might be a ffl you don't know about.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gallery of Guns...no I haven't but just did. I didn't see anything.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just as is the case with ammo .... it now appears we have to shop around to find which FFL dealer has the lowest transfer fees .. :huh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts