Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a Kahr I'm thinking of changing just the front site (Trijicon) and leaving the "i" on the rear. Has anyone done this and what do you think of it? I haven't any experience with the typical two dots on rear with on dot on the front and really have no known problems with the I and dot look. I keep wondering if might like one over the other. Any body out there that's done this?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I've done it on 2 Kahrs, one being my mk9. I ordered the front meprolight tritium sight from kahr. It was $30, and had a smith install it for $15. Kahrs instructions with the sight said to use a pusher and not a punch. I like it because it is the same profile as the stock rear sight and doesn't affect aim point of impact. And of course you can see the tip of the barrel in the dark. It's worth it, I think....

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's another reason why I think I'd like it. I've given some thought to doing just the front. Cost is one the other is I think I'd like dot'ing the I just as much as the two side by side dots. They say they can sight the target faster but I wonder. Another reason is CC guns (smaller) are likely used in close encounters with no aiming possible. So why spend over $100 dollars to change. Now on my S&W I plan on changing them someday because I do more aiming with it.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I agree.........these are not target pistols.......,but with a tritium front at least you know quickly in the dark where the tip is...and on my nightstand I angle the gun so when I look over I see where it is in the dark by the glow on the front sight..

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes........true. I've never seen these in the dark.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Im gonna post a picture of the front of my MK in the dark......look for the little green dot in the middle. .

Hard to see, taken with my phone camera....click on pic to expand and you can see it..

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This it a Trijicon sight?
Got hit the sack.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wonder how accurate it is without the back sights glowing?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
For its intended purpose I think just fine..

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ron, I want to order what you have but I want to make sure I've got the ID right. "Meprolight tritium"? I can find "Meprolight Front Sight" and "Trijicon New Style Front Sight" but not the two as one sight. Is yours the Big Dot? I don't think I'd like the Big Dot. Also, within the kahr link, all of the fwd sights appear to be the "Dovetail" kind and for my CW it's the swage thru the slide type. I will have to call I guess to get the right one.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The more I read of the XS big dot the more I wonder if it might be the best to buy for sighting of quick happening event on a CC guy like the CM's. Like they say most would just point and shoot but if time was not so critical or shooting at the range is the Big dot the best way to go? I read that with the bigger dot accuracy is off approx. 1/2 and inch, so in easy ballpark for a critical shooting. On a regular target shooter though I would want the typical sized front sight. Any experience here with XS Big Dot on a CM with an opinion?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I have the big dot 24/7 on my colt officers 45....and it is very easy to see.....they are fast acquisition combat sights, with a tritium insert. They are only ok for range use, as their accuracy drops off with distance

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that the one with the titanium shaped like a ball inset in the middle? and if so does it catch the light as it's suppose to?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Take a look at the pic......side profile and from a sighting view. These are their 24/7 sights..... they have a tritium ring around the dot....... their regular sights are the same...... just no tritium ring, only big white dot....

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was a gun store today and they sell the Trijicon sights and will put the Fwd and Rear sights on for a total cost of $70. Thats a better price than buying them and then having to put them on. Have to send the slide in to them (Trijicon) for up to 5 weeks! They also have Tru-glo and Big Dot. I think I like your description on the GOOD LOOKING Colt with sights.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
They are the best fast acquiring combat ( SD ) sights I have seen or used, Very easy to see with old eyes, with or without glasses, but like I said not the best for range use. I have tried the tru- glo tfo ( tritium / fiber optic ) sights and they were very good also, and good for range use. But still not as good as big dots for ease of picking up the sight.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toney, Yes I thought it a good deal also. Don't like the slide being gone for 5 wks. though.

Ron, I still thinking and looking. the true glo really wasn't very bright though. He said the sample he had was years old and not as bright. They were green. I asked if I could get different colors front and back. He said yes and thought they would be green in the back and yellow/orange in the front. What do you think of the tru glo? I've been looking at the Dawson. I really don't care to change the back as the I is ok with me.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Tru- glos are nice, probably next choice after the big dots. Remember tru-glos come in just fiber optic and in tritium fiber optic........

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I You tubed the Tritium Figer optic and like them. I was getting away from front and back changes as I think for CC protection the big dot would be a better choice for close work. On the 45 I would consider doing the tru glos because it seems to be more accurate than the Cm. (not putting it down either) and therefor can shot at more of a distance away from target and be a good but expensive range shooter for practice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts