Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gander Mnt. had a sale on small gun cases with a combo dial lock system. I've been concerned about leaving my gun in the car while out and about and needing to enter a Gun Free zone. I would rather have put the money on a holster but I priorities come first. It has a looped cable attached and I looped it around the passengers seat structure. Now I need one for the other car. There are very few places where I will need it but will feel more comfortable being a little more secure than just laying loose. I know I can't be the only one trying to be careful right? Any ideas other ways than I described to overcome this predicament other than just CC in all cases or leave weapon at home?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Get a small gun case, one of the cheap nylon zipper ones , and just stash it in your trunk under the carpet or something !!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you and did that for a while. I would remove the mag and dechambered round and carry them with me. Still felt it would be too easy for a BG. At least it would take a tool he might not have on him to open the box. Understand, I know it could be jimmied but still harder than not having one. On the other hand hiding it might be the better way to go also.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a NanoVault 200 from Gander that has the cable and locks. Paid about $20. I feel a lot more secure than just hiding in the trunk which is a little harder for me as I have 2 SUV's and no trunk!!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Same here WC. only I bought the Nano combination safe. Question-How do you use the cable? Also I read the comments on Amazon and some said it would be easy with a screwdriver to twist open the box. I think this very possible but I still feel more secure than just shoving under the seat. I might say I thought I might like the combination style better but I'm surprised how hard they make it to use. Can hardly see the numbers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought a single handgun ADVANTEX from Gander Mountain about a year ago. I think I paid 50 bucks for the case. It is Airline Approved and consist of a steel sire internal cage covered with a nice hard fabric. I like mine and will get another one some day soon.

You can tie this case down to you car seat supports too.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Now that sounds pretty good, i'll have to check it out. Honestly though, there are very few places that i let separate me from my weapon, that i leave it in the car. And when i do its usually just a short time, so im bad, i know..........i just stash it !

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Nanovault is also TSA approved. I wrap the cable around the front seat support and put one end thru the large loop and put the end with the small loop thru the slot in the case and then lock it closed. Bad guys can get in most things if given the time. I think it is pretty secure and not too many car thieves look under the seat (I hope).

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking for a different lock box on Amazon last night and found one I think looks pretty secure, Bulldog Car Safe with Key Lock. I'm in need of two for each car so I'm giving a different box a chance. It does have a high customer rating. I'll have to let you know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
One of my favorites is the single soft case by SKB. I really like their "I" series hard cases too. The material they use keeps moisture away from your prized piece. Has a zippered back for 4 magazines and a front zippered section for extra rounds, cleaning kits, etc,. Amazon sells them for $35. and they are really protective, even comes with a main zipper with a the ability to lock it.
SKB makes a great product.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I have looked at them at Academy and would like to get one eventually. At the moment though a more "secure" method in my priority. Now that I have that take care of I'll have to look at your suggested soft case. Can it carry two kahrs?

bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to commute to work. Guns not allowed at work. I drive my truck to a bus pick up station and get dropped off there at the end of the day. My trucks sits there all day. I'm still not too comfortable leaving a gun in there. But, less comfortable bringing one in to work. I guess my CC will only apply after work and weekends. The bummer is that I am going from a small town, very Mayberry-like, to a much larger city, with all the city problems.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Under those circumstances, I wouldn't want to leave my weapon in the car without a lock case

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read up some on the worth of the lock boxes that are cheaper, like I have. I didn't expect them to be burglar proof. I want them to slow down an un-tooled BG. It would take a little effort to break open. Iv'e read the cables are really well assembled at times and just sticking the swaged end thru a slot is not good enough for me. I plan on bolting cable to the inside of the box and bolting the floor. Maybe Im kidding myself though. These guys that are serious have means and knowledge. Just want to make it harder and time consuming for them rather than just look under the seat.

pasvorto, Yeah I would rather have the puppy in the city. I guess I would leave it home unless I was going somewhere other than "Mayberry". Odds I would think would be in your favor if just driving home from parking lot?

bob

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
When I take my truck to town, if I go in somewhere I park where I can keep a eye on it, or I set in it while the wife goes in. It has a visible gun rack and the 4 wheeler in the back has one.

I don't worry about Leaving one in the wife's car, I like to put it up before I get to where I'm gonna leave it so no one will see me messing around with it.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got the "The Vault" safe box. I've not seen a better box for the money. It's not big but it doesn't need to be for a compact gun. The box as it is new is not intended to be bolted down as I'm going to do. With this bolted to the floor with CSK bolts thru the surrounding outer box it ought to be tough to break into. I'm pretty confident it's more secure than the Nano300 and if fact if I could return it I would.

The Club LB200 Personal Vault Security Lock Box : Amazon.com : Automotive

Note: I have no personal interest in this box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Bulldog safe and bolted it down behind the front seat of my car, the floor boards of most cars are easy to drill and use a good bolt with lock nuts and lock washers. I can get my gun and spare mags in there as well. It was really reasonable and I put the carpet mat back in the back floor board so it covers the safe.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about bolting it down to the floor but then I got to thinking after handling it for while as it was cabled to the seat, would it be harder to force open the box while it was hard mounted or loose and a cable?

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
When I install a secure box in a car, I bolt it down. Put in a corner/against inner structure/in the space between floor and 1/4 panel.

After picking a spot, installing the "box", I then fabricate a piece of upholstery/carpet to cover it.

Out of sight, out of mind. Maybe a little/lot of extra work, but would you rather "give" your gun away?

Reactions: John70

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I like the carpet cover but still unless you've got a darn good box a Pry bar against the edges of the box at the lid....seems fairly easy. Hard to really pry with the box in your lap.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts