Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CM9. It has become very hard to rack the slide. It is quite a struggle to get it to catch on the slide stop. I would appreciate any suggestions for a fix. I might add that I am older so my wrist strength is not what it was.

· Registered
5,835 Posts
By stating "it has become very hard to rack the slide" I'll assume that you've had your CM9 for some time. If you typically rack the slide back by grabbing the serrations on the rear of the slide & drawing the slide back while pushing on the grip's backstrap away from you, may I suggest trying to apply more opposite force using both arms by grasping the top of the slide with your left hand (if right handed) at your chest & quickly push the slide to the rear across your chest towards your right shoulder as you push the backstrap of the pistol grip / frame towards your left armpit all at the same time in one movement to maximize applied force in opposite directions- only arms are involved with this quick movement & not wrist action...racking the slide is really a speed / acceleration movement in opposite directions...

· Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the old guy's club, 78 here. Yes, the Kahr's are difficult to rack because they use 20lb recoil springs which are intended for recoil absorption and timing. I replaced the 20lb springs with 18.5lb springs in my K9, MK9 and PM9. They are available through Wolff springs. I'm not saying the 18.5lb spring will make the effort to rack the slide easy, but rather slightly easier. The 20lb spring is definitely an over kill on Kahr's part. I also replaced the factory 6lb striker springs with a 5lb springs also available through Wolff. Trigger pull is now under 5lbs for all three of my 9's without light strikes. I've measured pull between 4-5lbs. The combination of reduced recoil and striker springs will fundamentally make racking easier but, again, not easy. BillACP's method is also recommended.

My Kahr guns are carry pieces not range guns where racking the slide is frequent. I manage to rack the slide, chamber a round and put the gun in the locker where it sits until I chose to carry a Kahr for the day. When I do, it's ready to go. I only occasionally shoot my Kahr's at the range for proficiency or to test new loads and/or upgrades.

Lastly, watch for broken tabs on the magazine followers. These polymer tabs extend down into the magazine and guide the follower as it moves up and down inside the magazine. If they are broken, the follower will likely jam. I've replaced the polymer followers with metal versions available through Kahr and Lakeline LLC.

By any measure, these Kahr guns are brilliantly engineered and well worth the expense of any upgrades.

CW45, K9 Elite '98, PM9, MK9
Photograph White Light Black Air gun

· Registered
43 Posts
I think you nailed it. I just hit 75 a couple days ago. We have to make adjustments as we go through "time". I just pulled one of my pistolas out of service for a similar issue....the trigger is so stiff it hurts my finger.
I'm not surrendering to my age. My goal is to be riding at age 80 and beyond. I'll reach that goal in 15 months, Feb 2024!
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

· Registered
6,223 Posts
OH NO!.........I used to ride Enduro and MotoX. Did it for years. Never had a road machine.
My eldest son (50's) just sold his big bike- Honda something? I tried to ride it about 5 years or so ago- I do not have any balance on a bike now- even while moving. I can no longer ride. I stumble just walking across the yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts