Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PM 45. I carry with a round chambered and a full magazine. I use Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP. Sunday I was planning to take the .45 to the range so I ejected the magazine and tried to eject the chambered round so that I could load target rounds. That is when I discovered that I could only pull the slide back approximately 1/4" and no further. I used a mirror to look down the barrel and the round is clearly in the barrel with no apparent obstructions in the barrel. The slide is in its normal closed position with no gap at the back of the barrel. The ejector projects slightly indicating that there is a round chambered. The folks at Kahr said..."it is likely the round has a slightly long overall length and the nose of the bullet is contacting the rifling on the barrel causing it to be difficult to eject" I think that this is a plausible explanation as I may have chambered this round several times and the hangup on the rifling may be enough to prevent the extractor from ejecting the round. My question is should I just go to the range and fire the weapon? I don't see any evidence that would suggest that the round is not chambered properly. Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Paying attention where you feet are, and with your finger off the trigger.
Place the muzzle end of the slide on a w IMG_20131029_202425.jpg ood corner and push with both hands.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Hmmmm..............never had one of those myself...........if everything is as you said, maybe firing at the range may be your answer...............What you think Toney !!!

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Looks like he might have your solution.............

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
It's most likely the mouth of the brass has been turned down.
If it is completely in battery you could shoot it out. I would try and get it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tony...hopefully I won't need to much force...I'll let you know the results.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Recently I was reading the someone was having the same problem and I believe they eventually took some metal off in the barrel ID. Of all my readings of posts this was a one time instance. Lucky you Dan. Sounds like valid advice above. I would think if the bullet is within the barrel there wouldn't be any problem firing it as the barrel is designed to do just that and then if the case didn't eject you could push it out. One of the reasons given for this was the tolerance of assembly and fabrication tolerances of the round.
I'm sure, you being a technical guy know, all of the above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got the round out and our dining table is without a scratch so the ole lady is happy which means I am happy...Thank you all for your help and Tony for the photo and the solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Surprisingly it looked ok. I was anticipating that there would be some rifling on the bullet...but there wasn't any. I am going to stop excessive re-chambering of rounds. I am also going to measure the length of the round with a dial indicator and see what the variance is between new rounds.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
If I drop a mag in my sd gun and eject the chambered round........I will usually switch it up with another that's in the mag so the same round isn't always the one being chambered and ejected.......which also helps in reducing or preventing setback...........although that wasn't your particular problem !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts