Kahr Handgun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned a CT380 for 2 months now...
Bought it new...
Found out it has the "old style" dovetail cut for rear sight, meaning nearly non existent aftermarket sights available...great...

One box of ammo in and my staked in plastic front sight vanished halfway through a magazine...nice...

Ordered a fiber optic replacement front from Dawson Precision....

Put the sight on ...

Back to the range... Couple mags with a slight progression of the group walking left... Set the gun down to reload mags... Rear sight falls out on the bench when I pick it up...
You can slide the rear sight completely through it's dovetail , by hand, with zero resistance.... I have no idea what was holding it in when it left the factory...

In 50 years in the shooting sports I have never had either a front sight fly off a gun ... Or a rear sight fall out of a poorly machined slide... But now I have experienced BOTH on the same gun in less than 2 boxes of ammo...

If something as simple as sight mounting...which has been solved and reliable for about 150 years now...is beyond the talent or design or quality control of a modern manufacturer... How much faith should you put in the rest of the firearm?!?

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Well.....crap happens. Sorry to hear...
I don't have the answer as to why- but, you can contact kahr and they will send you a shipping label and you can send it back to them. They will fix it.

I've had the CT380 for 6 years now and only issue was back when it was new it would not cycle some ammos- Fiocchi, Winchester flat nose, and Freedom Munitions. I changed to a different ammo and all good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....
I have had 2 Kahr's in the past that are now my son's and my daughter's... CM9 and CW380...
The only problem with either of them was a broken trigger return spring on the CM9...

I'm pretty disappointed with the CT380 though... Not sure what I'm going to do..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Being as how Kahr stopped using the old dovetail specs in November of '94, I'm not sure how your CT380 would have them. Unless the CT380 model goes further back than I am aware of. And that's a definite possibility!
But anyway, welcome to the Board!

Oh, and btw Meprolight still makes the old style night sights for Kahr 9 and 40's. Not sure about the 380 though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That date would have even preceded the CT380 introduction.... So technically no CT380 should have the old dovetail design....

I was going off the information on Dawson Precision website that if the underside of the slide had a punch mark/ dimple that it would be "new style".

I had contacted Kahr when I first bought the pistol and asked about the possibility of machining the new style dovetail into my slide so I could use Truglo Pro night sights (best I have ever used)... The response was that I would have to buy a new replacement slide for the CT380 to get the new dovetail because no machining services are offered..

If my info is incorrect and by default the CT380 does not have the old dovetail , I would be more than happy to upgrade to the Truglo Pro night sights...

If anyone can clarify, it would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last post is from the Kahr sight catalog pages....
Further searching says the front Truglo is adaptable to the CT380... But the Truglo front and rear set are stated as not fitting the CT/CW380's...
Possible that the 380's have the old dovetail cut for some reason??

·
Registered
553 Posts
Pretty much anything is possible mixxer, in terms of what companies do and don't do. Barring you having the true specs of your dovetails and comparing them against blueprints of a CT380 (which you are unlikely to have access to), I would suggest you contact Kahr again, in the hopes of speaking with someone there that is at least as knowledgeable as the last person you spoke to there. If you hear the same thing then look into Meprolight's "old-style" Kahr night sights. If they conflict than take a chance on the new style, which you could easily resell if they did not fit. Or you could just buy a set of either and see if you can get them in. Be aware though that some Kahr sights are extremely tough to get out and back in so a very careful examination of the sights to the dovetails is important in order to be able to make the right call on fitment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did contact kahr again today via email. This time I had gotten a different response where I was shown two different places to buy separately the front Truglo site post and a rear Truglo night sight that says specifically to fit the CW380 and CT 380 models. So to me that means that the 380 models must have something specific to their dovetailing where the other sites won't fit.
I did order the two separate pieces to comprise a night sight set that the Kahrr representative sent me the links to today. Separately the pieces are $50 each instead of being able to buy for perhaps $20 cheaper if it was offered as a set. I intend to use a punch and put some extra dimpling in the rear dovetail until I get the new sight set up to fit tightly. I'm hoping it all works because I did like how well the small pistol shot when I first shot it... until it spit its front sight out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought it new...
Found out it has the "old style" dovetail cut for rear sight, meaning nearly non existent aftermarket sights available...great...

One box of ammo in and my staked in plastic front sight vanished halfway through a magazine...nice...

Put the sight on ...

Back to the range... Couple mags with a slight progression of the group walking left... Set the gun down to reload mags... Rear sight falls out on the bench when I pick it up...
You can slide the rear sight completely through it's dovetail , by hand, with zero resistance.... I have no idea what was holding it in when it left the factory...

In 50 years in the shooting sports I have never had either a front sight fly off a gun ... Or a rear sight fall out of a poorly machined slide... But now I have experienced BOTH on the same gun in less than 2 boxes of ammo...

If something as simple as sight mounting...which has been solved and reliable for about 150 years now...is beyond the talent or design or quality control of a modern manufacturer... How much faith should you put in the rest of the firearm?!?
I own 4 kahr's including two 380.'s Quality control on mine are excellent. Put after market night sights on them and they needed a sight pusher to remove. But no problem. I have used Dawson for other guns and his sights were so out of spec it was ridiculous. ruined one of his sights trying like hell to make it fit spec. Do not blame Kahr.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I own 4 kahr's including two 380.'s Quality control on mine are excellent. Put after market night sights on them and they needed a sight pusher to remove. But no problem. I have used Dawson for other guns and his sights were so out of spec it was ridiculous. ruined one of his sights trying like hell to make it fit spec. Do not blame Kahr.
It was the KAHR ORIGINAL plastic staked on front sight that flew to the great beyond before even shooting through 2 boxes of ammo....

Then when I put the new Dawson front sight on and went to shoot again... Personal shooting range on my own property, only way to live for me...

And while I'm shooting my 2nd mag I see that things are grouping a bit left at 15 yards when they weren't before...
So I look and the rear sight had migrated noticeably left... When I grabbed it to feel it , it just fell out and would just slide completely through the dovetail from either side... Looks like a dot of paint or loctite was the only thing holding it I place from the factory... Again, this is now the ORIGINAL KAHR untouched factory sight... Still with less than 100 rounds through the gun...

I'm not sure how ANYONE could think ANYTHING other than both original factory KAHR sight falling off the new gun with less than 100 rounds through it wouldn't be a serious Kahr quality control problem...

I have owned hundreds of firearms in my 60+ years lifetime of shooting sports... None of them has even had the slightest sight problem with either from or rear sight.... Yet this gun has lost both sights and the rear one just free falls through the dovetail... No engagement at all...

Go ahead and explain this to the class how this is anything but shit quality control. I'm all ears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought it new...

Put the sight on ...

I purchased a P380 and it is absolutely fabulous,well made piece. Im certain they will correct matters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered a night sight set directly from Kahr yesterday... Was informed it is on back order today...

When they come in .... The front Truglo goes on with a bolt in arrangement like a Glock...so that sight isn't going anywhere..

And for the rear I will use a punch and raise a few dimple "high spots" in the dovetail groove to tighten that up...

Considering sending the slide and barrel out for nitriding while I'm waiting for the sights to come off back order...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts