Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a young guy I used my rifles as, in a word, entertainment. Never did like hunting but sure did like shooting 22 rifles and pistols. Got married and thought I needed a weapon by the bed from invaders(no comments necessary). Now I can't say I enjoy(eg.:eek:h this fun) having a gun but I sure do feel safer having them. I like shooting them but really in today's age how many can justify shooting up $20 to $30 boxes of hard to find ammo? The issue of being able to even buy ammo is a problem albeit getting better even though the still pricey. I bought and use my weapon just for that.....a weapon. I look at it as a tool. A means to an end. Although I'm not into guns as a everyday hobby like many here on the forum but I am finding them an interesting subject to study and handle properly for MY intended use.
How and why do ya'll possess your firearms.

Reactions: lefty60

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
I started out shooting as a hobby and just liked guns............then it became for self protection

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got mine after being home invaded, maced, help at gunpoint, and robbed. Felt pretty helpless. That's not happening again.
Good Gosh lawnboymike. You've already been thru the line and thankfully made it.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Sports primarily and the satisfaction of owning a piece of American history. Love battle rifles with their provenance. Some just for the sake of saying it's mine I guess....but that diminishes as I get older. I'm learning to let go of some things...matter of fact, sold my Colt D/E this morning. Never thought I'd do that. But as bob (sigh) was correct in mentioning, ammo ain't cheap and hard to find sometimes. :dry:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is hard to let go. Last Year I sold my beautiful, little used, Goldwing. I bought it new and used it over the years to the tune of about 20,000 mile. It was just "broke in" as we like to say. With the wifey not well it didn't make sense to keep it. I've seldom been without a bike but moved on to other things. What really did it for me was the advent of these damn cell phone and dummies using them in the car. Almost bought the farm a couple time from young ladies with that thing shoved in their ear. If Fact the last one at 40 mph, I waited from being at 65, didn't know what didn't know why I kicked the crap out HER door. TWit. I digress, sorry. Anyway, getting older means giving stuff up in order to CONTINUE getting older. BUT not the Jameson!

I got interested in pistols over a year ago.....just at the height of ammo depletion. My good timing...again.

Was it this pretty??

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: lefty60 and Ratfink

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system Here's my long-legged beauty....sold her before I retired. Then there was my nasty one, the kind you don't talk about, sold her off too:sad:
... Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: lefty60 and xsailer

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
but I digress, the pistol I sold today wasn't nearly as ornate as your there bob.. Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Wood

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Bobs ornate..........

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
True words...

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but I digress, the pistol I sold today wasn't nearly as ornate as your there bob.. View attachment 1447
Like your bikes and really I like your colt better. The other one has too much bling.

I used to race Puch in the 70's then went with the Ossa Phantom. Had a bad one and didn't ride for a while then went with a Yamaha Venture then Wing.Wife and I rode that Venture to Manzanillo, Mex. one year and Vera Cruz the next. That bike was not as comfy as the Wing but a very fast feel. Bikin was absolutely the most fun I ever had. It doesn't take much to make me talk of bikin. Sorry

Reactions: lefty60 and Ratfink

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your shop looks nice too.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Thanks, I had 6 at one time, they're like potato chips it seems. I've owned numerous Yamaha's and Honda's and of course, the HD's. All were fun and suited a different need and spot in my heart. :fat:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Movin on as always.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Back in 1950 something I had a Harley 125cc. It was given to me and I had to have it bored an an oversize piston and a few other things. It was not fast but it was a lot of fun. I have ridden the BSA 650 cc Road Rocket which was very popular then but never owned one. I poured all my money into a 1952 Ford convertible which was at the time Chevy V8s started to dominate drag racing. The flat head Ford engine ended in 1953. Wish I still had the '52!:crazysmile:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Amazing how the conversations get off track! My only shooting for many years was just an M1 rifle and M1 carbine courtesy of uncle Sam
Until 5 years ago I never owned a gun then bought my 12 ga pump Maverick 88 just for fun and last year my CM9 to practice and carry.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started with my Dad's bolt action 410. A nice simple shotgun. Then to a Ithaca 22 rifle. Liked that one but it was heavy. Buddy had a Plastic Remington that was a squirrely looking thing but it was a GOOD accurate shooter. Now have two 10-22 Rugers and like them a lot.

Reactions: lefty60 and John70

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check out what I just got my wife for Mother's Day:

To add to the original topic: I've had .22's my whole life. Just within the last few years have I gotten into bigger better stuff. Lol. To be honest I really like tinkering with the guns...adjusting, upgrading...learning. I shoot much less than I mess. Lol. In fact I got the Ruger GP 100 yesterday and I've already added fiber optic sights and changed out the trigger and hammer springs. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Nice........very nice.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts