Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my K40 out today and shot through about 150 rounds. Besides a sore wrist, my K40 developed a looseness where the slide moves front to back just a bit. If I rack the slide, the looseness tightens up or when I put in a loaded magazine. But without the magazine inserted and the firing pin locked back, the slide wiggles front to back.

What did I do, why the play in the slide or what needs attention?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Do you get a tight lockup when a round is chambered ? And gun cycled fine ? Is the recoil spring in facing correct way ? How old is the recoil spring ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tight Lockup and it shots fine. No problems. The recoil spring is original so it less than a year old, but that was my first thought. Maybe a trip to the Wolff spring house of help, but the spring feels like it's still holding it's weight. I don't know??

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I would change out the spring, as it's easy and inexpensive. The original could now be slightly out of spec !

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I think the stock spring now is 18lb, I know kahr has used 22lb springs as well. I believe they went to the lighter spring because of complaints of racking a really tight slide. I personally would go with a 22lb or 23lb spring / whatever Wolff has for it..........

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Hey bob, what weight recoil spring you running in your k9. I also think that kahr runs the same spring in the k40

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I did some checking and it looks like kahr is running a 20lb spring in the gun, I would still go with the 22 or 23lb. Gonna be a stiff racking slide, but it always loosens up with use

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I put in the 5# striker spring and replaced the stock recoil spring with another standard 18.5# spring. incidentally, I have read of questions much like you describe and the answer was always if it shots accurate and consistent then don't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I put in the 5# striker spring and replaced the stock recoil spring with another standard 18.5# spring. incidentally, I have read of questions much like you describe and the answer was always if it shots accurate and consistent then don't worry about it.
And what bob says here, is the flip side to your question. Maybe order a new spring and wait till the gun has issues locking up tight or cycling, and change it then !!

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Are you sure the movement is not up and down?
If the striker spring is the only thing holding your pistol into battery I would be worried ...

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Have you pulled the slide and had a look?
And the master Toney weighs in with advice that is the soundest, dissemble check everything, then reassemble, does it still exist ?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I just checked my mk9 and lockup is tight as a pin. I dropped the mag and unchamberd the round, and had very little side to side and up and down play, no front an back at all......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firstly, thank you all for your help, advice and input. Tomorrow I am going to order a replacement firing pin and recoil spring from Wolff. I took it apart and it seems that the firing pin spring feels a bit weak.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just checked the Wolff website and they sell 5lbs striker springs in packs of 10. That makes me believe it's something I should be paying more attention to. I may give both a 20lbs and 22lbs recoil spring a try as well.

The movement I am concerned about is the forward/backward slack. It's slight, but it's still a warning sign.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This may be the problem. I compared the K40 with my MK40. The stricker block doesn't fit as tight with the stricker on the K40.

The MK40 is much tighter. There is a wabble between the two parts that mimics the movement in the slide.

Could this be the problem?

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
When I talked to the Wolff lady I asked several questions about why and what spring might I consider to change. Even different springs strengths. She was kind of standoffish but did offer a few ideas of what to do and not do. You might give her a call before you order and she you might get some advice. Just a thought to help flieger. I'm sure it's pain in the butt.

bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This may be the problem. I compared the K40 with my MK40. The stricker block doesn't fit as tight with the stricker on the K40.

The MK40 is much tighter. There is a wabble between the two parts that mimics the movement in the slide.

Could this be the problem?

Besides being commited to replacing the recoil and striker spring, I really think part of the problem is with the stricker block. Check yours and see if you have "play" with the firing pin. The striker spring feels pretty good, but I'm going to replace it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts