Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Newbie here and just bought a CM9 and love it. I keep the gun in a safe at home, but want to make the gun inoperable if I want. (every safe , lock etc can be defeated).

If I remove the guide rod and spring, will the gun be able to fire a round.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Welcome..............

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome to the best little Kahr Forum on the WWW.

I think deliberately making your handgun inoperable is a bad idea. The only thing I'd do would be to remove the Slide but no dis-assembly beyond that and even this is a bad idea if it is your only firearm.

You can treat yourself and your family to a Firearm Safety Course. Teaching your family respect for all firearm goes a long way. I bet you've thought of these things before but I can't think of any other answers for you. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Great advice............!!!!!

Reactions: John70

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcomw......tojo107.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Welcome to the Forum tojo. I'll join the others on the Keepers Post #4. Teach to respect a weapon and don't disarm it.

Reactions: John70

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome tojo107,

Remove the magazine and keep it in a separate location.
Thanks all for your input and welcome. Great site.

I want to make the gun inoperable, advice not to do so aside. I have multiple teens in the house with friends over, sleepovers etc. If my wife and I out for an extended time, she wants to be sure someone determined who got around the safe (watch a couple Google videos to see how easy that is for the determined person), can't operate the gun on these occasions.

I don't want to take the slide as it is too big to pocket. Taking the magazine would still allow someone to load one in the chamber and fire as there is no magazine disconnect.

So to answer my question, does anyone know if removing guide rod and spring would make the gun inoperable?

Thanks Again...

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
The case being as you describe, I would do as keeper suggests and remove the slide and put it in a secure location, unknown to anyone but you. Or put it in your vehicle and take it with you........

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
How about typical cable thru the barrel with a GOOD padlock attached? I know the cable could eventually be cut but would they do this knowing you'd find out? Or, if you have a CCW permit, carry it? Sounds like the real safe way is as Post #8 explains....separate the slide from the body.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
How about typical cable thru the barrel with a GOOD padlock attached? I know the cable could eventually be cut but would they do this knowing you'd find out? Or, if you have a CCW permit, carry it? Sounds like the real safe way is as Post #8 explains....separate the slide from the body.
Also good advice......

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would put a gun cable lock thru the barrel and hide in a secure place. Or even a trigger lock. I know my local police department has either one available FREE. Then when needed it would be easy to remove the lock or cable and you are ready to roll.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the guide rod & spring assembly removed, if the slide was held in battery with a chambered round the gun would still fire if the trigger was depressed.

Recommended: Keep it on you if you have a concealed carry permit. If it has to be left at home, several types of locks exist (trigger, cable, barrel) that would prevent accidental discharge should the firearm fall into innocent hands (but not necessarily those of a tamperer with the skills to bypass locks).

NOT recommended: If having a determined tamperer enter your home is your concern, separating the gun into its basic component parts (field stripping) then securing each of these component parts in separate locations from each other should work (kind of extreme) OR removing the barrel (which is pretty easy to carry or secure) or the slide assembly should eliminate your concern.

A more extreme way of rendering the firearm inoperable would be to remove the striker assembly (which is relatively complex, not recommended, and potentially voids the warranty). I have done it twice for maintenance and modification but it is not something I would do for security. By doing so, you are potentially affecting the operation of the striker assembly, the striker block assembly, and the extractor assembly.

You may want to reflect more on the problem of potential tampering by outsiders. If this kind of behavior is occurring, at some point it becomes much easier for a firearm that you don't own to be introduced to the environment by the outsider (negating the measures you have taken to disable your Kahr). Ensuring your kids know gun safety (including the potential hazards) may be one of the best protections you can provide. The problem is real. The daughter of a close friend was accidently shot while she and her friends were short racking the slide of a pump shotgun for fun. Its the macho one-handed move seen in movies. She died at the scene. Just a teenager playing with her friends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Tojo107.

I know these guys are trying to help, even though they aren't really answering the question the way you intended.

1. Yes, it will fire with no spring & guide rod. You don't even have to hold the slide in place. Push it forward all the way, let it go, pull the trigger, bang. The slide will recoil just like always, but won't go back forward again. Same recoil in the hand, it doesn't hurt you or the gun. Put another round in chamber and push slide forward, and yes it will shoot again. This is what you're trying to avoid, isn't it?

2. So what can you do? Remove the slide stop and take it with you. The slide stop is what locks the barrel in battery when the slide is all the way forward. Without it, the barrel won't cam up into position and lock. When you take the barrel out, look at that slotted foot at the bottom (the bottom lug). That is where the slide stop pin would push the barrel upward and lock it into battery. Without the pin, no lockup.

3. While you're at it, why not take the barrel with you? It fits in the pocket. Or just take the slide stop.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I might add that if you were to fire the pistol without the recoil spring and guide rod the slide would most likely unlock from the barrel too soon. This could/would cause impact damage and maybe even a ruptured cartridge case.

It could in fact cause damage to gun and shooter.

Just my 2 bits worth

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think a cable lock will solve the problem.

GunwithLock.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nick...thanks for answering the question I had. Like I said locks can be defeated...wanted something to take with me that would make it inoperable and make wife feel 100% safe.. Slide stop and barrel are nice and small and that's what I'll do. Have more than one gun and can't take all with me...thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts