Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all on the Kahr Forum.
I am not a member of many forums. I usually join a forum to express good views about something I like or a good experience that I want to pass on.
Unfortunately that is not the case with the Kahr Forum. I am so discouraged, frustrated and disappointed with Kahr. I have to Vent.
A few years I purchased a MP9. I put a few hundred break in rounds through it. Don’t really recall any failures even in break in period. Good news. I like Kahr Arms!
I had previously purchased a Kal Tec .380. Just to have a small pocket gun. This Kal Tec gun without a slide stop and with poor sights didn’t appeal to me. (Although the Kal Tec fired every time I pulled the trigger. Thinking of a Kahr p380. Yes! Slide stop night sights although probably more than double the price of the Kal Tec. That’s okay! New Kahr out of the box no problem. Fired my 2-3 hundred break in rounds without any problems. Now I really like Kahr arms.
As far as 380 go I also own one of the early Colt pocket lights and a Sig 238 (another good gun). The Kal Tec is gone as well as two Berettas, a Walter pk, and a Sig 232 of the larger .380s. Recently purchased a G42
My wife has a couple of carry revolvers and about 6 months ago she decided she would like a small carry 380 auto. She doesn’t like the cocked and locked aspect of a 238. Ruger and Kal Tec ore out of the picture. She likes my Kahr, and has fired it with no problems. She has small hands and sometimes problems racking the slide on autos. She can easily rack the Sig and Kahr.
So we went gun shopping and found a P380. She tried the slide many times in the store. Had no problem pulling or locking the slide back. Did the paperwork and purchase it in her name.
First day at the range. Won’t go to battery most of the time. Periodically would get a few round to fire properly. The rest of the time she or I, whomever was firing it, would have drive the slide forward with the heal of the hand. A few rounds did not fire and had to be hand ejected. Also often the slide failed to lock rear on last shot about 50% of the time. We managed to get through a hundred rounds and gave up. Cleaned and lubed the gun. Back to the range another day with a box of Magtec, PMC, American Eagle and Lawman. About halfway through I cleaned and re lubed. Same problem with them all. Now I have 300 rounds through the gun and no improvement.
Shipped the gun back to Kahr.
Gun back: “new extractor, recoil springs, and mag springs-polished feed ramp lubed test fired, ok”. according to Kahr. Wife can no longer pull slide back!. Off to range. Goes all the way to battery okay. Case gets caught in slide before being fully ejected. 1 to 2 rounds per mag. Has new round partially fed and spent case jammed in slide. Repeated this with both mags using Lawman, PMC and Magtec ammo.
Shipped Gun back to Kahr with detailed letter and photos.
Gun returned “inspected firearm –new mags-lubed and test fired, ok-100 rounds” again according to Kahr. Bak to range. FIRST round fired casing caught vertical in slide primer end down. Cleared fired third shot casing caught same way. Tied different mag and different amo third round jam next try fifth round jam. Went home. Glad I wasn’t using this gun to save my life with. Now my wife can’t rack the gun and if she could it wouldn’t be any good anyway.
I waited and finally called Kahr got the same person as last two times. He said send it back. I don’t want to send it back unless someone different is going to look at it. He asked me if I wanted to talk to the mangier. Said yes and he forwarded mu call. I got an answering system. Left detailed message and requested a call back. No call back. Repeated same process two more times a few weeks apart. No call back. Called again told about not getting a call back. Said he would put me through to the supervisor this time. Got the same message and no call back!
Hey all please excuse my spelling grammar. I can shoot but I sure can’t write.
Oh ya forgot. My wife is using the G42. Definitely larger than the p380. So far it shoots every time. She really wanted the Kahr for its size. But she also wants a gun that works full time. Not one that works 3 shots out of 5 on a good day.
Any ideas how I can get Kahr to fix this gun or give me a new one. Any phone numbers or names to call would be appreciated THANKS!

·
Registered
323 Posts
sounds like u did not grease the rails and break the pistol in. with 400 rnds thru it like my cw380 runs. Some cannot hold onto a small 380. Call Ian, talk to him and send it back. You gotta remrmber, it fired fine for them at factory. Or someone didnt do there job.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Toney, do you mean to actually get a grip on the grip or chill?

I sympathize with JSDpai as it sounds like he's done all he should have and has enough experience to question, what the heck is going on? It's one thing to continually have to send back a new purchase to make it right but it's yet another for a company rep to not respond to repeated call backs. Although I do question the comment "I don’t want to send it back unless someone different is going to look at it." though. This sounds kind of argumentative. I've not had this problem with Kahr and IN FACT had the opposite but I have had this experience with other companies and it's damn maddening. After all spending hundreds of dollars on a purchase and not have it function even after having returned it to the manufacturer would be unsettling.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Try to speak to Ian or Jay.........

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I'm sure kahr wouldn't sent it back if it worked.I've had a couple pistols that run perfect for me and not for my wife.
I haven't handled the kahr 380, I have owned 5 kel-tecs,the p3at and pf would lw easy.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I like that last suggestion Toney.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Ask them what ammo they test fired your pistol with and get some.
Another good idea........as they can be ammo sensitive. ....

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Hard to say............if they fired 100 rounds thru it and it ran...........it could be the ammo that's the problem.............and like Toney said he's had guns run fine for him and not his wife...........small sub compact guns are harder to shoot than larger guns.........hence the very tight recoil springs...........have you checked how you grip / hold the gun when shooting, it can also be a factor with this size gun.......

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum JSDPai. It seems that all Kahr problems mentioned here are worked out to the owners satisfaction. I suspect you will eventually be satisfied. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lub

sounds like u did not grease the rails and break the pistol in. with 400 rnds thru it like my cw380 runs. Some cannot hold onto a small 380. Call Ian, talk to him and send it back. You gotta remrmber, it fired fine for them at factory. Or someone didnt do there job.
Purchased a MP9 in 2009. Purchased a P380 in 2011.
We have been shooting, cleaning and lubing both pistols without any problem.
I should know how to lube the second P380 purchased October of 2013

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Yeah .............,like bobs p380........you've got a problem.........I would still call kahr and try to find out what ammo they used and if you can shoot it with that and see how it runs.....,,might be worth a try, before sending it back again !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,

Toney, do you mean to actually get a grip on the grip or chill?

I sympathize with JSDpai as it sounds like he's done all he should have and has enough experience to question, what the heck is going on? It's one thing to continually have to send back a new purchase to make it right but it's yet another for a company rep to not respond to repeated call backs. Although I do question the comment "I don’t want to send it back unless someone different is going to look at it." though. This sounds kind of argumentative. I've not had this problem with Kahr and IN FACT had the opposite but I have had this experience with other companies and it's damn maddening. After all spending hundreds of dollars on a purchase and not have it function even after having returned it to the manufacturer would be unsettling.
and yes you are correct. I probably did not word it too well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ask them what ammo they test fired your pistol with and get some.
Yes good idea and will probably do so - but should not be necessary I fired Magtec, PMC, American Eagle, Lawman and a mag or two of Federal Personal Defense.
My older Kahr P380, Sig P238, Glock 42 and even the Old (Like New)Colt pocket light eats all of this ammo. I understand some ammo may not function in all guns. I hate to be limited to one or two ammo manufactures with this gun.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
That is a fair amount of ammo you've tried...............I know its crappy !!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
It has to be something more than the ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum JSDPai. It seems that all Kahr problems mentioned here are worked out to the owners satisfaction. I suspect you will eventually be satisfied. Good luck!
Thank You! – but at this point not even getting a call back is very discouraging. Through the years I have dealt with many firearms manufacturers and their CS never encountered anything like this.
Six months ago I would also have stood up and defended Kahr. Now I know better.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Let me first say that I have had great CS from Kahr over the years. Stuff does happen, to manufacturing companies as well as their customers.

Maybe I can help you understand what happens with "modern" manufacturing that causes quality control issues. Please note that it is very frustrating, but is the nature of the "Beast".

1. Parts are mass produced, and delivered in boxes, barrels, ect.
2. The parts are made to a +/- dimension.
3. On the assembly line parts are assembled into a firearm.
4. Little or no hand fitting required.
5. If the gun passes simple function tests and will fire a couple of shots. It passes.
6. If the group of parts used in any particular gun has to many plus or minus parts it may appear to function correctly, but in actual use will not function well.

7. It is cheaper (labor, materials, ect.) to fix or replace defective guns/parts than to hand test/fit each and every one.

8. If the product was not manufactured in this manner you would not be able to purchase any product at an affordable price. Modern processes in action.

That's it in a nut shell. Percentage wise there are way more good ones delivered than troublesome ones.

I know that it don't help that much to have this knowledge, but it is what it is. :growl:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts