Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from the range celebrating my birthday. Got my hands on a new CW380 for my birthday. First impressions before any ammo through the gun... Love the size and feel in my hand. The slide is not as stiff as I imagined it would be. My wife had no trouble pulling the slide back.

I had 200 FMJ rounds and some Remington defense ammo.

First through the gun was Fiocchi FMJ. The gun had a hard time feeding and the slide going all the way into battery. About every round I had to tap the back if the slide to get into battery. Only put 50 rounds of that through.

Next was Herters 95 grn FMJ. Very first round through the slide locked back. Zero issues with feeding or ejecting over the next 49 rounds. Including right hand(strong hand) only. Feeling impressed with gun performance at this point.

Next 50 rounds was PMC bronze FMJ. Very similar results as the Herters. No problems going into battery both with dropping slide from slide lock and sling shot. I tried shooting left hand only(weak hand) and had two FTE. This was not a big problem for me. My Beretta Nano also has FTE problems when I shoot left hand only. I then shot another 50 rounds of Herters. No problems.

Next was the Remington Ultimate Defense 102 grn. I shot 10 rounds only. 6 shots rapid fire right hand only. No problems with feeding or ejecting or going into battery. Then 4 rounds of a standard two hand grip.

Joint Shoulder Standing Gas T-shirt Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Tints and shades Publication Trigger Gun barrel Technology Font

All in all I am beyond happy with the performance of this little .380. I am looking forward to making it my EDC. Very very happy new gun owner today.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
It's always nice to hear of a trip to the range...good or bad. Sounds like a good "breaking" in experiece with more work to come. Thanks

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Happy Birthday! Congratulations on the good range trip and new toy.:getdown:

As a side note, if you are only having the FTE's with the weak side you need to learn to "lock" your wrist. The flex of your wrist allows just enough movement to slow the slide speed. The lost slide speed causes the poor function.

If you don't have the same problem with your strong side, you are already "locking" that wrist. If you will compare your "weak hand" grip with your "strong hand" grip, you will be able to discover the "secret". And you do not have to "squeeze" the grip like your trying to kill it.

Just some food for thought.

Stay Safe :getdown:

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Great..............

·
Registered
148 Posts
First through the gun was Fiocchi FMJ. The gun had a hard time feeding and the slide going all the way into battery. About every round I had to tap the back if the slide to get into battery. Only put 50 rounds of that through.
I've never shot Fiocchi but I've heard they don't fit in the chamber consistently. Guys talk about crimping to make it fit. If you still have some, next time you field strip the CW380, try just dropping a Fiocchi round into the chamber and see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a side note, if you are only having the FTE's with the weak side you need to learn to "lock" your wrist. The flex of your wrist allows just enough movement to slow the slide speed. The lost slide speed causes the poor function.

If you don't have the same problem with your strong side, you are already "locking" that wrist. If you will compare your "weak hand" grip with your "strong hand" grip, you will be able to discover the "secret". And you do not have to "squeeze" the grip like your trying to kill it.

Just some food for thought.

Stay Safe :getdown:
Any suggestions how how to properly practice with my weak hand? It seems simple, but is there a technique to locking the wrist without over gripping the gun?

·
Registered
148 Posts
One easy thing to practice, without the gun, grip the fingers of your other hand. When you stiffen your wrist you can feel in the fingers of the other hand if you're also tightening your grip.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I've never thought of this question. We've got a few shooting instructors that will volunteer I'm sure. Just sitting here I gripped my wrist the other hand and with the thumb on top right up against the lower part of the of the thumb and then did the push pull thing. I'm sure if you've had this problem you've tried it as it seems a simple thing to do. You would of course lose the two hand to stabilize the traditional way but if it works who's to argue? I'm waiting for other thoughts here. Of course it goes without saying maybe but wrist strengthening exercises?

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
The process is much easier to show in person, hands on as it were.:huh:

You can practice using the pistol, Make dang sure that it is empty!!!

Practicing with the "weak" hand.
1. grip the gun and using your "strong" hand feel your wrist and hand muscles, to understand which muscles are used to grip with.

2. As you grip the gun, bend your wrist up and down. Watch which muscle moves during this motion. You can then practice flexing that muscle separate from squeezing the grip. It is a short trip from here to being able to "lock" your wrist without "choking" the grip of the gun.

3. If you will turn your wrist SLIGHTLY towards the 1 o'clock position. (think gansta style, but not) A slight twist of the wrist will ad strength to your wrist.

If you will play with this process (no dirty thoughts please) you will discover that you can shoot as well with your "weak" hand as you can with your "strong" hand.

Dry fire practice (use snap caps), when you are comfortable with your technique move to "live" fire. When you start live fire load 1 or 2 snap caps in the mag. When you hit the "dud" you will find out if you are flinching.

This whole thing takes less time to learn than it takes to try to write out the instructions.:crazysmile:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, Fiocchi was a problem in my P&CW 380s. Would rarely feed. I think a drop of lube ay the top of the chamber would help, but never tried it and never will because I won't buy the stuff again. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Fiocchi was a problem in my P&CW 380s. Would rarely feed. I think a drop of lube ay the top of the chamber would help, but never tried it and never will because I won't buy the stuff again. :)
Yeah, I've got another 50 rounds of it... Would almost rather pawn it off to someone who's gun will feed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another update. 150 more rounds through the gun today. 50 of them Fiocchi. Had the same feeding issues with all 50 rounds.

The next 50 were federal range FMJ. Absolutely no problems with any of them.

Then another 50 Blaser rounds. This gun is really impressing me.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
I like federal...........when Wally World has it, I try to pock some up even when I'm kinda stocked up as I've never had an issue with it in any weapon.........!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I like mine a great too. It is so easy to CC. I would like the same size in 9MM better though.

Reactions: lefty60

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Amen Bob! A fortay would be even gooder :lolu:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts