Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kahr sent me a replacement guide rod for my CW45. The factory one was solid steel, but the replacement is a hollow steel one. Anybody ever heard of that?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Not heard of a hollow one, but some use plastic ......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Do you know why they did that? I've not heard any thing like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after a little web surfing I found that Kahr as well as Sig and others have used them. One concern I have is increased muzzle flip due to the lighter weight. Think I will just spring for a new SS one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to Kahr today and they sent the wrong guide rod . They are shipping the correct one out now.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
You'll have to let us know if you can notice a difference when shooting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an update to everyone Jay from Kahr called me back today and said that the hollow guide rod they sent is correct. He said Kahr has now switched over to using the hollow guide rods instead of solid steel. I for one don't like that idea.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
FYI I remember reading about a year ago of a forum member (not one of ours) making for others guide rods out of steel and I think Titanium. The Titanium was going to be very expensive he wrote and in fact tentatively over $100. He was in the machining business as I recall. I wonder if they are making them hollow to save material money or if they a had a legitimate performance reason.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think it was a performance issue. Galloway precision and others make the stainless rods and they cost less than ones directly from Kahr. Guess I'll spend some more money. Now where did I plant that money tree????????

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Well GR I'd still like to hear if you can tell a difference if you should get one.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I would rather have a solid steel one myself...........personally I think the hollow ones are just a cheapening of the part.......not to save weight !!!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I would rather have a solid steel one myself...........personally I think the hollow ones are just a cheapening of the part.......not to save weight !!!
Why? Do you think the recoil would be less with solid pin? Would it be a measurable difference?
BTW I agree with you.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
I don't think recoil would be any less......... Just would feel better about it

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
So....a touchy feely thing....

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
How about the plastic ones?

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
same thing......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I would think though that plastic verses Steel you feel the recoil difference.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
You can't tell the difference. My pll had a ss guide and I replaced it with plastic.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
There sure would be a difference in carrying weight and worth it if no noticeable difference in performance..

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
You can't tell the difference. My pll had a ss guide and I replaced it with plastic.
Just curious.........why did you switch ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts