Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.jpg 2.jpg

Has anybody ever seen this before? This is a brand new Kahr P380with Trijicons. My first thought was rust, but then I am reading about factory rust prevantatives such as cosmoline that are difficult to take off too.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Sorry irizavrima but I am not much help but you came to the right place I am sure! Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Welcome............Have you tried using a gun cleaner product and a brush on it. I have not seen that on any new guns before......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Irizavrima, Welcome to the Forum.
I'll bet a solvent like said or Rubbing Alcohol if you have it might remove it. Like you I'd bet it was something other than "rust". The sight white appears to be glowing.....good.

bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill try rubbing alcohol! I have tried CLP but that did not work. There was originally a lot more of this on the front sight. It was actually "powdery" if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Irizavrima, Welcome to the Forum.
I'll bet a solvent like said or Rubbing Alcohol if you have it might remove it. Like you I'd bet it was something other than "rust". The sight white appears to be glowing.....good.

bob
I am starting to get the idea its some kind of factory grease or preservative. I can see a very small amount between the backplate and slide...also, there was a faint amount of this on the slide rails, but that came off easily. Nothing I am doing is making it come off. Maybe shooting a few hundred rounds will help between the heat and gunpowder residue that it will collect.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Yep...........bore solvent or something like Outers Crud Cutter......and a brush should do the trick.......

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
You can use brushes that are stiff nylon.......

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I would not use anything but a plastic brush. Metal would abrade the surface.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I use that brush to scrub the rings off the front of a ss cylinder. Its not any worse than a bronze bore brush.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
A bronze brush if used gently usually is ok

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I don't know what the gun sight is made of but if it is steel then maybe it is rust. If it's aluminum then it's not rust obviously. So, I would call Kahr tell them of the problem and what you've done to clean it up with no success. Being a newly documented gun they should be of some help.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Yep it's good advice. .....or go back to where you bought it. ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts