Kahr Handgun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a Kahr P45, all black with night sights. Will need an appendix kydex carry holster. What can you tell me, that will help me make an informed purchase? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've always questioned Nite sites. We shouldn't be shooting at anything in the dark. We should have a clear sight picture. I like the XS Big Dot and realize the importance of picking up the front site asap, but I just can't justify the extra cost of a nite site, that i'LL NEVER USE. After 40 years of carrying, I've found that 99% of confrontations are non lethal and I'll pull my pistol when they grab ahold for me, so my sights will not be needed anyway. I will not try to make a precision shot across a crowded room. I just couldn't bear the thought of missing and/or hitting an innocent. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kahr P45 has arrived

Well, I finally got the diamond black coated slide P45. Wow! light, but extremely well balanced. Even a smoother, somewhat lighter trigger pull, than my PM9, that I have owned for about seven years. The grip fits even better than my 1911 Kimber ultra, which really surprised me. Have a Hogue Handall Jr. 18000 rubber grip sleeve on the way. The only thing I don't like, is the cheese grater nubs on the grip.
I will give a range report, about the two hundred round break in period soon. I plan to carry appendix in a hybrid Theis single clip holster. My defensive load will be Winchester Ranger T 230 grain hollowpoint, which is really the old black talon bullet.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Looking forward to the range report! :grin:

Reactions: ron54

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Well, I finally got the diamond black coated slide P45. Wow! light, but extremely well balanced. Even a smoother, somewhat lighter trigger pull, than my PM9, that I have owned for about seven years. The grip fits even better than my 1911 Kimber ultra, which really surprised me. Have a Hogue Handall Jr. 18000 rubber grip sleeve on the way. The only thing I don't like, is the cheese grater nubs on the grip.
I will give a range report, about the two hundred round break in period soon. I plan to carry appendix in a hybrid Theis single clip holster. My defensive load will be Winchester Ranger T 230 grain hollowpoint, which is really the old black talon bullet.
Very nice.........congrats on the fine weapon..!

Reactions: lefty60

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Kahr P-45 was just stolen during the COVID lockdown. As for the XS Big Dots, I have them on 2 Ruger SR-1911's, 1 Sig P-6, all of my Glocks, except one. I have them on my Kimber 1911 Stainless, a Taurus PT-745, Springfield XD-45 Duty, XD-45 Compact, XDS-9, Ruger LCP, LC-9S, Kahr CW-9 .....etc
Obviously, I'm sold on them.
XS Big Dots are designed for fast target acquisition, both day and low light. Those of us with "experienced eyes" (old age) appreciate rapid acquisition sights as opposed to any 3-dot system. It takes too long to line up 3 teeny-tiny dots that are too small for us "visually challenged" people to see right away. I throw/give away three-dot sights away at first chance I get.
XS Big Dots are designed for CQB and hitting center-of-mass targets (in other words 8.5x11 copy paper) roughly the size on a human torso. If you can't get all 5 shots into a piece of copy paper, practice daily or go play shuffleboard.
XS Big Dots are NOT designed for bullseye shooting, competition shooting, or USPSA. Get a holographic/reflex sight for that.
Your options depend on what you actually plan to use the gun for- what reason did I buy this gun?
If you have bear paws for hands, a Glock 42 or a Ruger LCP isn't your best option. Look into a Glock 17/22, or a Springfield XD or XDS series, Maybe a larger Sig Sauer 220,226,,or a Legion. If you have tiny hands, try a Glock 42/43, Sig Sauer 238 or 938, etc. Go to one of those ranges that allow you to try different guns before you buy. REMEMBER that heavier (steel) guns tend to offset large caliber rounds, whereas the smaller polymer guns will cause much more felt recoil. Those teeny-tiny really cute pink polymer guns might recoil much harder that something heavier. Try a 1911 in .45 ACP, then a 1911 in 9mm caliber. They behave differently. The 1911 has been around for 110 years by 2021- they must have done something right to establish that good record!! Some people say :There's No Feel Like Old Steel". "Old Steel" is heavier and that extra weight holds down the muzzle rise. Most find the gun easier to shoot than the small ones because of that extra weight softening up that recoil.
The bottom like that I tell my students is that guns are no different than underwear- what fits me, won't fit you. What fits you won't fit the next person in line. Sights are the same way- some people like CQB sights for work. Some people like holographic sights for competition. Some people like that 3-dot precision sight for some other use.
I HOPE THAT I HAVEN'T CONFUSED ANYONE! Over 30+ years, you learn so much that you brain goes liquid.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Congrats on a fine choice. I have a PM45 with a stainless slide from which I removed the matte finish, leaving it looking like a natural SS. But I'd prefer the black diamond coating. Gotta say though that the PM and P45's both feel great in the hand and it's nice having 6 or 7 of those big ole boollits in hand if the need arises.
I personally like the "cheese grater" grips on my PM. Not the most comfortable for range work, but they do provide a solid grip. Also the Handalls don't always play nice with cover garments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts