Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm somewhat new here so if this has been addressed before I apologize in advance.
That said, I just ordered the Lakeline striker. So, I thought it might be a good idea to hear from anyone who's done the conversion already for any advise.
Thanks in advance
Gary

· Registered
12 Posts
I got the Lakeline striker a few years ago after having had two stock strikers fail in my new P380 within the first 500 rounds or so. It is definitely a design flaw by Kahr and the Lakelike striker solves the problem. Check out videos on YouTube. There is a lot of instruction out there. I remember having to build a little tool with a piece of a clothes hanger to help facilitate dissasembly of the slide. You need to be very careful dissasembling the slide because if you don't do it right tiny little springs will go flying across the rooom all over the place and you will never find them and you will be totally screwed. That happened to me once and I was very lucky to find all the little pieces strewn all over my kitchen. They are very tiny. The next time I had the bright idea of working inside of my guest bath with the shower door closed and a towel over the drain. Now when everything went kabloowy the parts would all come to rest on the tub floor and be easier to spot. Which they were. So my advise is to research on the multiple Kahr forums on the internet and on YouTube, I'm not sure where exactly, but there is some very good step-by-step instruction on how to replace the striker in the P380. You need to make a C shaped hook from a coat hanger to compress a spring to facilitate. And plan for failure. If you have a pup tent you can set up in your living room to work inside of that would be ideal. Good luck!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, good to know. Yeah, I saw the coat hanger home made "tool" on the Kahr website. With the "tool" holding the assembly, will I still be able to R&R the striker? I assume so but, the website didn't really show how it's done. Thanks again.
Gary

· Registered
12 Posts
Not sure what you mean by R&R the striker? I would just toss the old striker. It's really not hard to figure out once you get that back plate off and retain all the springs. It's been a while but I remember having perfectly understandable instructions. I forget if I got them from the Kahr site or the Lakeline site or YouTube. If you can't find good, clear instructions for the P380 look for instructions for one of the 9mm Kahrs. The slide internal components are almost identical to the 380.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R&R, remove (old part) and replace (with new part). I can see how that could misconstrued. Lol Yeah, I did look at a CW9 slide strip on YouTube which I had watched earlier since I also own a PM9. I appreciate the advice about picking a safe place to do the job. When the "explosion" happened did you have any problems figuring out how to reassemble all the pieces?

· Registered
12 Posts
No. There aren't that many parts really. They are just very tiny in the 380. I am mostly talking about springs. There are a couple in addition to the stricker spring. First time I dissassembled in my office with stacks of books and partially filled boxes strewn about, a tiny spring went flying and I didn't see where it went. I seriously considered not even trying to find it and just ordering a new one, but I got lucky. I just watched that CW9 video. That was pretty good. I think the construction is identical to the 380 only the 380 is a miniaturized version. I've dissassembled my 380 slide a couple of times and I don't remember why the second time, but it looks like if you are only replacing the stricker you only need to remove the stricker spring. Except for removing the back plate which can be a pain, that would be a pretty quick and easy job.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all good things to know about. I think you're right about not having to remove anything else but I'll still be mindful of where I work on it. You should have bought a lotto ticket after finding that spring, about the same odds. Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts